MPs to consider debate on when human life begins

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
MPs to consider debate on when human life begins - Politics - CBC News

While I agree that life begins as conception, I hope individual MPs keep their words. Any MP who promissed not to bring up the abortion debate should either step down and call a byelection or vote against any law guaranteeing the life of the fetus if he has any integrity. For any MP to lie blatantly to the public to vote in favour of such a law would be pretty low, and two wrongs don't make a right.

At the same time however, I would also disagree with the NDP whipping its candidates on this and let each one vote his conscience while also keeping any individual promise he may have made his electors.

Or I suppose another way of keeping his integrity would be for an MP who had promised not to vote for the rights of the fetus to vote for a bill that takes effect only at least one year after the next election so as to give the people a chance to decide.

Any thoughts on this?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
How many times does this stuff have to be discussed? We dealt with it the
seventies, the eighties and the nineties. The new century has pretty much
moved on except for those who want to ram legislation down the throat of
everyone else. When does life begin? Religiously or scientifically? The
fact is we have differing opinions and the majority decided a long time ago.
It all comes down to the social conservative agenda. Now society can get
a little fragmented, but really social conservatives want to drag us back to good
old Queen Victorian times and most people don't want to go there.
If you get right down to it, there isn't much difference between social conservatives
and Muslim fundamentalists. They both want to control the societal agenda for
their own purposes.
Besides we have a constitution and people have rights and as such we are headed
for another red herring debate designed to provoke emotions instead of reason.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Unless these MPs have backgrounds in biology I doubt their conclusions will make much sense. It'll be the usual talking points on both sides.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
How many times does this stuff have to be discussed? We dealt with it the
seventies, the eighties and the nineties. The new century has pretty much
moved on except for those who want to ram legislation down the throat of
everyone else. When does life begin? Religiously or scientifically? The
fact is we have differing opinions and the majority decided a long time ago.
It all comes down to the social conservative agenda. Now society can get
a little fragmented, but really social conservatives want to drag us back to good
old Queen Victorian times and most people don't want to go there.
If you get right down to it, there isn't much difference between social conservatives
and Muslim fundamentalists. They both want to control the societal agenda for
their own purposes.
Besides we have a constitution and people have rights and as such we are headed
for another red herring debate designed to provoke emotions instead of reason.

Victorian Times eh..... Did you read the article? Of course not. Why would you need to do that eh? Canada's present definition of when a "baby" is considered human has been used for 400 years going back to Great Britain. That would be BEFORE the Victorian era. Hey, but why worry about the truth, lies are so much better when justifying the murder of the defenseless.

So, tell me, how many of your grandchildren would you give the ok to be murdered? By the sounds of it, the answer would be all of them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Unless these MPs have backgrounds in biology I doubt their conclusions will make much sense. It'll be the usual talking points on both sides.

Do you agree that an 8 month fetus, healthy should be aborted for any reason. I am referring to late term abortions over 26 weeks. No health problems. no threat to the mothers health.

You would be aware that not only is this legal but happens on a regular basis.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Do you agree that an 8 month fetus, healthy should be aborted for any reason. I am referring to late term abortions over 26 weeks. No health problems. no threat to the mothers health.

You would be aware that not only is this legal but happens on a regular basis.

No, at that point it is much too late. If a woman wants an abortion she should get it as soon as possible, not wait until it has developed to the point of being able to live. One of my cousins was born slightly less than 7 months into the pregnancy and survived, though for a time it didnt look like he would. It is insane to allow an abortion at that stage in the game.

Yes, I know its legal here, which is strange. But Ive heard that it is difficult to find doctors willing to perform late term abortions.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
"Woodworth says current Canadian law says human life begins when a child has fully emerged from the mother's birth canal, which is based on a 400-year-old definition imported from Britain."

"NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said no one in his caucus supports the motion but he plans to whip the vote, or force his MPs to vote along party lines."

""We're resolutely in favour of women's right to choose, so it's very clear for us, and we are absolutely opposed to this motion of Mr. Woodworth," he said."

Is it important to protect the rights of the woman to kill their baby?

The old definition that life begins when the fetus goes through the birth canel is outdated.

When someone kills a pregnant woman the charge is killing two people instead of one.

Cesarean section takes the baby from the woman without it exiting fully from the birth canal.

The discussion about where life begins is how our Conservative government introduces controversial Bills.

First it's a discusion in the House of Commons where every word is on record in the Hansard then it's a private members bill then abortion will be illegal in Canada because our Conservative government has the majority it will pass which for me is OK .

Once Canada passes a law that makes aborition illegal then other countries will do the same.

I was watching the House of Commons Question Periad today and they were talking about extending the mission in Afghanistan back to a combat mission past 2014 and they can because they got the majority and Canada is spending billions on their war machine

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, at that point it is much too late. If a woman wants an abortion she should get it as soon as possible, not wait until it has developed to the point of being able to live. One of my cousins was born slightly less than 7 months into the pregnancy and survived, though for a time it didnt look like he would. It is insane to allow an abortion at that stage in the game.

Yes, I know its legal here, which is strange. But Ive heard that it is difficult to find doctors willing to perform late term abortions.

Late termination of pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada: During the year 2003, 6.5% of induced abortions were performed between 13 to 16 weeks, 2.2% between 17 to 20 weeks, and 0.8% over 20 weeks. This sample included procedures carried out in hospitals and clinics.

http://www.albertaprolife.com/rose_pdf/sept_2007.pdf

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was referring to Victorian Times as the rule for the current social conservative movement.
They don't have anything else to do accept determine how we should all behave.
They are ignoring the fact that we live in a different world.
It should also be pointed out that Britain has not official human rights constitution, they are
a constitutional monarchy. We do have a bill of individual human rights. Women have the
control of their own bodies and that is good enough for me. There are some rules and as
long as those rules are followed leave things alone. This country is in enough trouble without
opening old wounds.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I was referring to Victorian Times as the rule for the current social conservative movement.
It should also be pointed out that Britain has not official human rights constitution, they are
a constitutional monarchy. We do have a bill of individual human rights. Women have the
control of their own bodies and that is good enough for me. There are some rules and as
long as those rules are followed leave things alone. This country is in enough trouble without
opening old wounds.

Canada has a constitutional monarchy also.

and what "rules" would that be. Could you please quote the statutes.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
opening old wounds.

Do you believe in late term abortions with no medical problems for the fetus or the mother?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Victorian Times eh..... Did you read the article? Of course not. Why would you need to do that eh? Canada's present definition of when a "baby" is considered human has been used for 400 years going back to Great Britain. That would be BEFORE the Victorian era. Hey, but why worry about the truth, lies are so much better when justifying the murder of the defenseless.

So, tell me, how many of your grandchildren would you give the ok to be murdered? By the sounds of it, the answer would be all of them.

Are you aware that life does not begin until birth? Or didn't you get the memo? Wether that birth is after 7 months or 9 months is irrelevant unless it can breath on its own. You can not murder something that does not exist.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Are you aware that life does not begin until birth? Or didn't you get the memo? Wether that birth is after 7 months or 9 months is irrelevant unless it can breath on its own. You can not murder something that does not exist.

Who says? The government? Cause scientists say it begins at conception.