Lack of French on British labels gets food yanked

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Lack of French on British labels gets food yanked - Nfld. & Labrador - CBC News

Now this is where I think changing the Constitution to recognize regional bilingualism could not only save Canada money but also give both English Canadians and French Canadians access to new markets.

This way a seller in English Canada could sell products from the UK, Australia, the US, etc. thus allowing a wider variety of options to consumers; while the Quebec city seller could also sell products from France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. without having to worry about labelling either.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hmmm,
Do I want to eat Spotted Dick in a can, or Bangers and Mash in tins, or Deep Fried Mars Bars au gratin?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well everyone knows that having the labels in two languages is so much more important than the food in the can being safe to eat. After all we wouldn't want to upset voters in Quebec would we?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Lack of French on British labels gets food yanked - Nfld. & Labrador - CBC News

Now this is where I think changing the Constitution to recognize regional bilingualism could not only save Canada money but also give both English Canadians and French Canadians access to new markets.

This way a seller in English Canada could sell products from the UK, Australia, the US, etc. thus allowing a wider variety of options to consumers; while the Quebec city seller could also sell products from France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. without having to worry about labelling either.

I do a fair bit of shopping at an Asian Grocer close to my home.
Many of the products are from the opposite side of the globe
with neither French or English on the origional packaging.

In these cases, there is a sticker on the side of the packaging
or can, etc....with the info needed in English & French.

Maybe this is a Saskatchewan innovation though, or maybe
there is a shortage of stickers in Newfoundland. Maybe the
stickers are imported from Britain and do not have bilingual
packaging. Catch 22. ;-)