Carnival ship sails past dying fishermen

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Carnival ship sails past dying fishermen: Reports
By QMI Agency

A stranded fisherman said a Carnival Cruise-owned ship sailed past him and his two shipmates -- both of whom have since died -- but didn't stop to assist.

"It was a really big, white ship. I was waving a red T-shirt, and Fernando was waving a bright orange life-jacket over his head," sole survivor Adrian Vasquez, 18, told English news site Panama-Guide.com.

Their distress calls didn't go unseen either, according to three bird-watchers who spotted the Panamanian boat March 10 while aboard the Star Princess luxury liner.

When the cruise passengers spotted the three frantic fishermen, they immediately alerted cruise staff to notify the bridge.

Judy Meredith of Bend, Ore., thought the ship would help the stricken fishermen, but it carried on to Costa Rica.

"We all watched him for a bit and thought, 'This guy's in distress. He's trying to get our attention'," Meredith told NPR.

After nearly a month at sea, Vasquez said he was finally rescued by an Ecuadoran fishing boat.

His friends, Oropeces Betancourt, 24, died the night after they saw the cruise ship and Fernando Osario, 16, died five days later.

The bird-watchers took photos of the tiny fibreglass boat that had been adrift for more than a week until they spotted it.

Meredith said she contacted cruise line following the trip and they told her they were in communication with the stranded fishing boat, and the fishermen were waving at them to thank them for avoiding their nets.

According to maritime law, able vessels must assist those distressed at sea.

Carnival Cruise Lines owns Costa Concordia, which sank Jan. 13 after hitting a reef off the Italian coast.

Carnival ship sails past dying fishermen: Reports - World - Canoe.ca

Unreal. Where does Carnival Cruises get their captains from?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'd seriously like to know where they get their captains. First guy that shows up on the docks or what?

First the guy off the coast of Italy who abandoned ship before his passengers, now the guy who sails on past a boat in distress.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
After all the incidents this company has happened this year I imagine business is going to go down soon.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'd seriously like to know where they get their captains. First guy that shows up on the docks or what?

Maybe it's the guy that is still standing after last call at the dockside bar.

After all the incidents this company has happened this year I imagine business is going to go down soon.

Hopefully, maybe then these idiots may actually invoke some form of care and passion in their business.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm thinking maybe they should go down.

Maybe it's the guy that is still standing after last call at the dockside bar.

Maybe one of those matchbook cover schools. You know, like where you can learn to be an airplane mechanic in your spare time.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Ms. Meredith told NPR that when she got home she contacted Princess Cruises to see what action was taken.
She was told that the captain reported passing through a fishing fleet. She said a customer relations representative told her that the Star Princess contacted the boat and “that they were asking the ship to move to the west, because they didn’t want their nets to be damaged. And that the ship altered course. And they were waving their shirts because they were thanking the ship.”
This was Princess Cruises version of events when a passenger followed up with the cruise line after the voyage. It was clearly a bald faced lie designed to keep passengers from reporting the incident to the marine authorities or to the press. Clearly that didn't happen and the sh*t has hit the fan now.

Princess Cruises is the owner of the Costa Concordia that foundered off the Italian Coast in January while sailing in dangerous and restricted waters, and was abandoned by its captain and some of its crew, leaving passengers to fend for themselves.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
They deeply regret stuff.

Princess Cruises deeply regrets that two Panamanian men perished at sea after their boat became disabled in early March. Since we became aware of this incident, we have been investigating circumstances surrounding the claim that Star Princess failed to come to the aid of the disabled boat, after a crew member was alerted by passengers.

The preliminary results of our investigation have shown that there appeared to be a breakdown in communication in relaying the passenger's concern. Neither Captain Edward Perrin nor the officer of the watch were notified. Understandably, Captain Perrin is devastated that he is being accused of knowingly turning his back on people in distress. Had the Captain received this information, he would have had the opportunity to respond.

We all understand that it is our responsibility and also the law of the sea to provide assistance to any vessel in distress, and it is not an uncommon occurrence for our ships to be involved in a rescue at sea. In fact, we have done so more than 30 times in the last ten years.

We deeply regret this incident and are continuing our investigation to fully understand the circumstances.

News Article : Princess Cruises

I'm sure had there not been more than one witness, and a photo taken, there might be less to regret.

Star Princess cruise line 'deeply regrets' not stopping to help drowning sailors | News | National Post

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They deeply regret stuff.

Oh. Well. As long as they deeply regret it.

We all understand that it is our responsibility and also the law of the sea to provide assistance to any vessel in distress, and it is not an uncommon occurrence for our ships to be involved in a rescue at sea. In fact, we have done so more than 30 times in the last ten years.

Shame it wasn't 31 times.

I'm sure had there not been more than one witness, and a photo taken, there might be less to regret.

Kind of makes me wonder how many unwitnessed incidences there may have been over the years.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Carnival ship sails past dying fishermen: Reports
By QMI Agency

A stranded fisherman said a Carnival Cruise-owned ship sailed past him and his two shipmates -- both of whom have since died -- but didn't stop to assist.

"It was a really big, white ship. I was waving a red T-shirt, and Fernando was waving a bright orange life-jacket over his head," sole survivor Adrian Vasquez, 18, told English news site Panama-Guide.com.

Their distress calls didn't go unseen either, according to three bird-watchers who spotted the Panamanian boat March 10 while aboard the Star Princess luxury liner.

When the cruise passengers spotted the three frantic fishermen, they immediately alerted cruise staff to notify the bridge.

Judy Meredith of Bend, Ore., thought the ship would help the stricken fishermen, but it carried on to Costa Rica.

"We all watched him for a bit and thought, 'This guy's in distress. He's trying to get our attention'," Meredith told NPR.

After nearly a month at sea, Vasquez said he was finally rescued by an Ecuadoran fishing boat.

His friends, Oropeces Betancourt, 24, died the night after they saw the cruise ship and Fernando Osario, 16, died five days later.

The bird-watchers took photos of the tiny fibreglass boat that had been adrift for more than a week until they spotted it.

Meredith said she contacted cruise line following the trip and they told her they were in communication with the stranded fishing boat, and the fishermen were waving at them to thank them for avoiding their nets.

According to maritime law, able vessels must assist those distressed at sea.

Carnival Cruise Lines owns Costa Concordia, which sank Jan. 13 after hitting a reef off the Italian coast.

Carnival ship sails past dying fishermen: Reports - World - Canoe.ca

Unreal. Where does Carnival Cruises get their captains from?

I sure as hell hope that the "Captain" of the ship gets charged for this. No excuse for this at all!

ETA: I had just read the first article, not the second one. If the Captain didn't know about the incident, then I don't fault him, but I DO fault the crew members who didn't report it like they should have. Either way, heads should be rolling over this.