Booze coming to movie theatres!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who is this going to benefit? The way I look at it booze is a medium for socializing. How much socializing can one do while watching a movie? What mode of transportation do many people use to travel to the theatre? Pretty soon there will be no aspect of our lives we can enjoy in total sobriety. What is driving this besides greed?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Samething was pitched in SK a few years ago. Beer, wine and coolers in theaters problem ewas that restrcited movies allow 18 year old in while the drinking age is 19. They decided against lowering the drinking age just to sell in theaters.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What's wrong with having a glass of wine or a cold beer while watching a movie?
Nothing. It requires changing drinking age to parallel restricted movie viewing age and that is a North American standard set at 18 for restricted movies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What's wrong with having a glass of wine or a cold beer while watching a movie?

In normal circumstances, nothing, but when changes are made, extreme circumstances have to be carefully looked at. What are all the potential ramifications? Does the good side more than offset the bad? When people are drinking they tend to nod off and snore, ruining the movie for adjacent viewers. :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nothing. It requires changing drinking age to parallel restricted movie viewing age and that is a North American standard set at 18 for restricted movies.

It does? You mean that in a licensed restaurant, only people 19 and older are allowed to eat? People aged 18 and less aren't allowed to go to hockey games, or ball games, or football games?

That's really quite something.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Check the laws on why a restaurant can serve alcohol with underage present and why an underage person isn't allowed into a night club.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It does? You mean that in a licensed restaurant, only people 19 and older are allowed to eat? People aged 18 and less aren't allowed to go to hockey games, or ball games, or football games?

That's really quite something.

On the news it was to be adult only theatres, as I understood it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Beer has been served in German movie theaters for ages. I don't really see the issue.

Then again, you can walk down the street in Germany drinking a beer. I don't really see the issue with that either.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I sometimes drink at one of the theatres I go to if I suspect the movie is going to be bad. We just go there to laugh at it. Sometimes that theatre buys a one day liquor license. From what I've seen there nothing bad has happened. As for how I get there, I walk.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
As long as people don't become loud and obnoxious when drinking I see no problem.
what about when people become loud and obnoxious when not drinking?
;)

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wholeheartedly support this.

Pretty soon there will be no aspect of our lives we can enjoy in total sobriety.

It's not like they're forcing you to drink, or even forcing you to go to a movie theatre with a liquor license. Drinking laws in Canada are still partially stuck in the prohibition era. I want to liberalize all drinking laws. Plenty of countries allow drinking in public and they haven't collapsed into a drunken anarchy. Meanwhile, many Middle Eastern countries have banned drinking altogether and have been ****holes for decades. Coincidence?

What is driving this besides greed?

It's just greed. Making money is the primary motive of all business. That's why movie theatres charge $8 for popcorn and another dollar for a butter. Cold War's over Comrade JLM. Capitalism won. Drink up!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That leads right back to the 18-19 dilema.

I don't see why, if you ain't 19 you just ain't getting in! So there will be no illegal drinking and no illegal watching filthy movies either! :lol:

Plenty of countries allow drinking in public and they haven't collapsed into a drunken anarchy.

Do you think there would be the same amount of mayhem at a European soccer game if there was no booze?

what about when people become loud and obnoxious when not drinking?
;)

Then they are REAL A$$holes! :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't see why, if you ain't 19 you just ain't getting in! So there will be no illegal drinking and no illegal watching filthy movies either! :lol:
You can legally watch smut films when you're 18 not allowing entry becomes a rights violation.

Like I say. This was debated in SK a few years ago.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would be more open minded about loosening up the drinking laws as long as the excuse of "but I was drunk" was taken off the books when people do stupid/criminal activities. YA CAN'T SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME! :lol:

You can legally watch smut films when you're 18 not allowing entry becomes a rights violation.

Like I say. This was debated in SK a few years ago.

No more so than prohibiting a patron who is old enough to eat popcorn! :lol: