Brazil's Rousseff talks trade and training in US visit

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Brazilian Portuguese is close to Canadian french?

Romance languages. Of course it's still not that easy to learn each others' languages, but still easier than English for a Portuguese-speaker, and likewise for a French-speaker.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd bet that most of Brazil knows English already.
So what does QC have to offer BR? Vice versa?

According to a 2001 statistic, about 6% of Western Europeans know English. According to a 1984 statistic I'd seen, about 4% of East Indians speak English. And according to a 2006 statistic, about 43% of Quebecers speak English.

So I doubt very much that many Brazilians speak either English or French. However, French would likely be still at least a little easier for them to learn than English. So those Brazilians who find English to be too difficult might be interested in french instead, and Quebec does have some good universities too if education is what Brazilians are looking for. Add to that that Quebec is cheaper to live in than most of North America.

From my experiance in China, I can say that few chinese really know English too.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
According to a 2001 statistic, about 6% of Western Europeans know English. According to a 1984 statistic I'd seen, about 4% of East Indians speak English. And according to a 2006 statistic, about 43% of Quebecers speak English.

So I doubt very much that many Brazilians speak either English or French. However, French would likely be still at least a little easier for them to learn than English. So those Brazilians who find English to be too difficult might be interested in french instead, and Quebec does have some good universities too if education is what Brazilians are looking for. Add to that that Quebec is cheaper to live in than most of North America.

From my experiance in China, I can say that few chinese really know English too.
Uhuh. I'd suggest, since we are referring to business here, that most Brazilians know English well-enough to do business using it. I have no idea about the general population.

Brazil also has some pretty good unis: like UNICAMP, UFLA, UFRGS, UNIFESP, UFMG, etc.

Not sure about swapping students.