Cops' gun license revoked

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
For an offense when he was 15.

FRAMINGHAM — Things could have gone much differently for Harry Wareham.
When he was 15, Wareham admitted “I was very dumb and I made a mistake.”

Wareham committed a crime and was found to be delinquent by a juvenile court judge.
But, instead of growing up to join a roster of repeat criminal offenders, Wareham changed his life around.

Wareham, who is now 43 years old, is a 16-year veteran of the Framingham Police Department with the rank of lieutenant.

“I’m not proud of the mistake I made,” said Wareham last week, “but I think it made me a better and more understanding police officer.”

Wareham, who wouldn’t detail the charges he faced at 15, now finds his juvenile record has been unsealed, coming back to haunt him 28 years later.

Recently, his license to carry a firearm when he is off duty was denied by the state firearms board because of what it read in that previously sealed record.

A change in the Criminal Offender Record Information, or CORI law, that goes into effect in May is opening juvenile crime records — even those that were sealed by the judge — to the firearms licensing board and other agencies.

Previously, those records were not revealed.

Read more: Framingham Police Officer

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
If the offense is such that he legally can not possess a firearm, he will also eventually be fired. His ONLY real chance to change this is to get a pardon from the Governor of his State.