O Gawd, the Penny's Tail has been Salted.


taxslave
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I wish they'd get rid of the nickel too while they are about it. They are not even good for parking meters anymore!

Quit trying to use the wooden ones.
 
JLM
+1
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They will start pulling them ASAP and you'll be given a period of time to cash them in before they are no longer accepted.

Not according to what I heard on the news yesterday, but it's kind of a moot point.................. now they are worth next to nothing, soon they'll be worth nothing.
 
petros
+1
#33
It's all about harvesting the copper. Pennies are worth more than you think.
 
Spade
+1
#34
As I am older than spit on a butter churn, I remember when the silver in minted coins was taken out. It took no time flat for the harvesters to melt down the majority of more-than-face-value coinage.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Instead of gasoline going up a couple pennies it will have to be nickels now. Hooray!

So how are you paying for those 10ths of a cent they are charging right now?
 
Spade
+1
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

So how are you paying for those 10ths of a cent they are charging right now?

I use the mils collected from my property taxes.
 
#juan
+1
#37
I throw all my pennies in a large glass bowl. Have done for years. There are quite a few new looking pennies, but there are no 2012
pennies. Wonder why that is. It's about time I turned these pennies in because the bowl now weighs roughly 43 pounds according to our bathroom scale. How many pennies make a pound?

PS...A rough estimate is 6150 pennies in roughly 43 pounds of pennies
Last edited by #juan; Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:32 AM..
 
Tonington
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I throw all my pennies in a large glass bowl. Have done for years. There are quite a few new looking pennies, but there are no 2012
pennies. Wonder why that is. It's about time I turned these pennies in because the bowl now weighs roughly 43 pounds according to our bathroom scale. How many pennies make a pound?

PS...A rough estimate is 6150 pennies in roughly 43 pounds of pennies

Wikipedia gives various weights (external - login to view) for Canadian pennies by year class. At most you could have 8669 ish and at least you will have 3440 ish. Unless of course your bowl is included in the 43 pounds.
 
Spade
#39
The mass and composition of the Canadian penny has changed over the last 70 years as penny-pinching measures.
1942-1979 3.24 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1980- 1981 2.80 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1982- 1996 2.50 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1997-1999 2.25 g/penny 98% zinc with tin and copper plate making up the remaining 2%
2000-2012 2.35 g/penny 98% steel with tin and copper plate making up the remaining 2%

So, what you must do is sort your pennies by date first, then weigh each pile, and finally do the calculation.
 
#juan
+2
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Wikipedia gives various weights (external - login to view) for Canadian pennies by year class. At most you could have 8669 ish and at least you will have 3440 ish. Unless of course your bowl is included in the 43 pounds.

I keep promising my wife I will roll these damn pennies and get that ugly bowl off the dresser. I started with a small bowl and have gone through at least three intermediate sized bowls. I 'm assuming all pennies are the same size...and once they are rolled, I will know exactly how many pennies I have. I promised Jan I would take her out to dinner with the money I get from turning them in. Dinner for two and a nice bottle of wine will cost about a hundred dollars. The pennies will cover a good part of that. (I won't bring the pennies to the restaurant.. )
 
Spade
+1
#41
What, you're not donating them to charity as Laugherty suggested?
 
#juan
+1
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The mass and composition of the Canadian penny has changed over the last 70 years as penny-pinching measures.
1942-1979 3.24 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1980- 1981 2.80 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1982- 1996 2.50 g/penny 98% copper with zinc and tin making up the remaining 2%
1997-1999 2.25 g/penny 98% zinc with tin and copper plate making up the remaining 2%
2000-2012 2.35 g/penny 98% steel with tin and copper plate making up the remaining 2%

So, what you must do is sort your pennies by date first, then weigh each pile, and finally do the calculation.

I don't think so. Having to roll them is bad enough. I should have saved quarters.....
 
spaminator
+1
#43
no more pennies for your/our thoughts.

no more pennies saved and no more pennies earned.

Last edited by spaminator; Mar 30th, 2012 at 03:23 PM..
 
Spade
#44
Conservatives are eliminating penury. About damn time!
 
JLM
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I throw all my pennies in a large glass bowl. Have done for years. There are quite a few new looking pennies, but there are no 2012
pennies. Wonder why that is. It's about time I turned these pennies in because the bowl now weighs roughly 43 pounds according to our bathroom scale. How many pennies make a pound?

PS...A rough estimate is 6150 pennies in roughly 43 pounds of pennies

OK so face value is worth $1.43 a lb. Copper is worth approx. $4 a lb. So are the pennies a copper alloy?
 
Spade
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

OK so face value is worth $1.43 a lb. Copper is worth approx. $4 a lb. So are the pennies a copper alloy?

Since the millenium they're 98% steel and 2% copper/tin.
When I was a kid, we used to crawl through culverts to pick up the metal slugs. Wonder what they're worth today?
PS
Remember when evil doers would coat pennies with mercury so they would pass as dimes?
 
eskavan
+1
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I throw all my pennies in a large glass bowl. Have done for years. There are quite a few new looking pennies, but there are no 2012 pennies. Wonder why that is.

It usually takes a while for us to see the coins minted in a the year we're, doesn't it? I usually don't see them till the fall.

They said they'd stop minting pennies in April (I think) so that must mean there will be some 2012 pennies. I don't intend to keep many of my pennies as collectors items, but I think it'd be neat to save some 2012 ones. Some of the "last batch" if you will. There's something special about that to me I guess.
 
spaminator
+1
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

no more pennies for your/our thoughts.

no more pennies saved and no more pennies earned.

See a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck.

not anymore.

 
B00Mer
+1
#49
Just go fukking plastic already.. who needs cash.

A Cashless Society May Be Closer Than Most People Would Ever Dare To Imagine Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (external - login to view)
 
Spade
#50
Only 7% of financial transactions are cashed.
 

Similar Threads

17
Hydro One....only in Ont. thank Gawd::
by Nuggler | Jul 25th, 2011
9
Tail of the Tiger golf balls
by JLM | Feb 5th, 2010
15
A friendship tail of the Beav and the Jim
by Haggis McBagpipe | Mar 2nd, 2006
no new posts