What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag???

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

NDP votes against flag freedom bill

OTTAWA - One of the first acts of the NDP under newly elected leader Thomas Mulcair was to vote against a bill encouraging Canadians to "proudly display the National Flag of Canada."

He's not going to last!

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Good.

Let's not turn this place into the U.S., where we're proud of having stupid flags on our houses.

Is pride of country and flag a bad thing?

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is pride of country and flag a bad thing?

Does watching hockey make people stupid?

CDNBear

Do I always have to share your opinion or can I think for myself?

LOL, that was your opinion.

Quote:

...but I don't see why anyone should be punished for it.

Neither do I. Do you always have to share my opinion?

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I don't support the Bill mind you.

mentalfloss

Neither do I. Do you always have to share my opinion?

Stop spinning. You were claiming I was "divisive" simply because I didn't share your opinion in that one case example. **correction: because my attitude was coarse in that one example.

That is an assertion of character that requires a consistent basis for it's exemplification.

If we're going by statistical count of who enacts that more often, the divisive trait belongs to you, not me.

Here, have some maple syrup. It makes you Canadian.

CDNBear
+2

Stop spinning. You were claiming I was "divisive" simply because I didn't share your opinion in that one case example.

No, I pointed out your bitter divisiveness, because your post was bitter and divisive.

Quote:

That is an assertion of character that requires a consistent basis for it's exemplification.

Exemplification 1.
(external - login to view)
Exemplification 2. (external - login to view)
Quote:

The divisive trait belongs to you, not me.

I'm sure you think that's true.

Here, have some maple syrup. It makes you Canadian.

No thanks, you're enough of a sap for now.

JLM
+1

I can only speak for myself..................................NO

mentalfloss

Exemplification 1.
(external - login to view)
Exemplification 2. (external - login to view)

I don't have time to post the thousands of examples in your case.

CDNBear
+1

I don't have time to post the thousands of examples in your case.

Don't worry about it. I already know you think me pointing out your bitter divisiveness, lack of objectivity, and poor perception skills, is bitter and divisive.

No need to waste your time showing examples.

But thanks anyways.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I can only speak for myself..................................NO

Right. It should go without saying.

I think a political party would know that at face value. There must be something a bit more complex with this issue than the original article implies - considering it's a 4 paragraph blurb from a questionable source.

CDNBear
+2
Post #1567927 - Re: What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag??? (external - login to view) Bad Cannuck
Post #1567922 - Re: What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag??? (external - login to view) Bad Cannuck

You missed a couple. Just trying to help you out, I know how important this all is to you. I blame your admitted stupidity.

Bar Sinister
+5
Canada is not the United States and does not need the crippling nationalism that has stifled so much in the way of intelligent thought in that country. One of the things I have noticed regarding the Conservatives is that they are all hot to trot when it comes to going through the motions of patriotism; flag waving being one example, but when you actually look at their policies they are the least patriotic of Canada's major parties. The NDP might not be in favour of putting people in jail for refusing to allow others to fly the flag, but the party has always taken a strong stand against selling Canada down the drain to foreign interests; something the Conservatives and the right wing in general have actively encouraged. The Tories talk patriotism, but they act more like a fifth column working hard to sell as much of Canada to foreign interests as possible. Quite frankly I would much rather support a party that encourages Canadian ownership of Canadian resources than a party that waves the flag but encourages as much foreign ownership as possible.

CDNBear
Post #1567932 - Re: What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag??? (external - login to view) Bad Cannuck

You still missed some. I know, I know, you're admittedly stupid and can't find them...

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Canada is not the United States and does not need the crippling nationalism that has stifled so much in the way of intelligent thought in that country. One of the things I have noticed regarding the Conservatives is that they are all hot to trot when it comes to going through the motions of patriotism; flag waving being one example, but when you actually look at their policies they are the least patriotic of Canada's major parties. The NDP might not be in favour of putting people in jail for refusing to allow others to fly the flag, but the party has always taken a strong stand against selling Canada down the drain to foreign interests; something the Conservatives and the right wing in general have actively encouraged. The Tories talk patriotism, but they act more like a fifth column working hard to sell as much of Canada to foreign interests as possible. Quite frankly I would much rather support a party that encourages Canadian ownership of Canadian resources than a party that waves the flag but encourages as much foreign ownership as possible.

I'm a fiscal conservative and I also strongly believe in freedom and liberty. It is the reason I can not support bills like this. In fact, it is the reason I can not support the Conservative party. It is not fiscally responsible and the idea of throwing Canadians in jail for such things is abhorrent. I would love to hear from the Conservative Party supporters as to why they think this is fiscally responsible (or do they believe it is not and just don't care) and why they wish to give the government the power to sanction people for something so relatively unimportant. Really, are Conservative Party supporters not going to be satisfied until every Canadian is in jail?

Post #1567932 - Re: What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag??? (external - login to view) Bad Cannuck

You still missed some. I know, I know, you're admittedly stupid and can't find them...

I don't give negs for every post though I'm not surprised you haven't figured that out yet.

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

To give people the right to display the flag. Do you have an issue with that.

How does this bill give people the right to display the flag?

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

How does this bill give people the right to display the flag?

Right.

The thread title and article are deliberately misleading.

This is a discussion about the repercussions of someone preventing you from hanging up the flag, not some active active attempt to muzzle Canadians. There are already property rights and trespassing legislation that should dissuade someone from using your property without consent. We don't need specific legislation for flags.

We should have recognized this from the start, but the inflammatory way in which the usual suspects frame the discussion has the purposeful intent of fear mongering.

Locutus
parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/...4253&File=30#2 (external - login to view)

C-288 (external - login to view)

Liberalman
Mulcair voted against the Canadian flag? that is unCanadian, I smell a Conservative attack ad
Last edited by Liberalman; Mar 30th, 2012 at 08:18 AM..Reason: ....

DaSleeper
+3

Do I always have to share your opinion or can I think for myself?
It's a shame that the nanny state has turned you into such a predictable robot.
*sigh*
I personally don't give a crap about flags in front of houses, but I don't see why anyone should be punished for it.

The Conservatives and Liberals voted in favour of Bill C-288, the National Flag of Canada Act, sponsored by Tory MP John Carmichael and Heritage Minister James Moore. A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag.
The new version contains no such penalties.

Right.
The thread title and article are deliberately misleading.
This is a discussion about the repercussions of someone preventing you from hanging up the flag, not some active active attempt to muzzle Canadians. There are already property rights and trespassing legislation that should dissuade someone from using your property without consent. We don't need specific legislation for flags.
We should have recognized this from the start, but the inflammatory way in which the usual suspects frame the discussion has the purposeful intent of fear mongering.

I would expect no less from a party ideologue who would support a prime minister with a passport from another country, and does not show pride in being Canadian.
So the thread title is not misleading...
And your last post is misleading, this legislation does not contain the legislation you pretend it does The highlighted part of your last post is Bullshyte and so is the rest of it
Last edited by DaSleeper; Mar 30th, 2012 at 08:32 AM..

taxslave

Prerequisite for watching rich kids chase a piece of rubber around a frozen surface.

Cannuck
+1 / -2

I would expect no less from a party ideologue...

Yes, speaking of ideologues, what is the point of this whole exercise? The government introduces a bill that threatens to throw people in jail for two years and sticks the provinces with the bill to enforce it. Once they realize how stupid it is (not to mention fiscally irresponsible) they water it down to the point where it is nothing more than a bill requesting that people wave the flag. Do we really need a bill for that? Is this really what Conservatives think our Parliamentarians ought to be doing? Is there no other pressing matters to be dealt with?

DaSleeper
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yes, speaking of ideologues, what is the point of this whole exercise? The government introduces a bill that threatens to throw people in jail for two years and sticks the provinces with the bill to enforce it. Once they realize how stupid it is (not to mention fiscally irresponsible) they water it down to the point where it is nothing more than a bill requesting that people wave the flag. Do we really need a bill for that? Is this really what Conservatives think our Parliamentarians ought to be doing? Is there no other pressing matters to be dealt with?

Be a good boy and stick to negging posts...your maturity level precludes anything else from you....
Post #1567992 - Re: What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag???----Bad----Cannuck
See???? Listening to your elders is the first step on your way to recovery...the next is admitting you're stupid....although some people seem to think you've aleady done that....
Last edited by DaSleeper; Mar 30th, 2012 at 08:40 AM..

Liberalman
+1

NDP votes against flag freedom bill

OTTAWA - One of the first acts of the NDP under newly elected leader Thomas Mulcair was to vote against a bill encouraging Canadians to "proudly display the National Flag of Canada."

The Conservatives and Liberals voted in favour of Bill C-288, the National Flag of Canada Act, sponsored by Tory MP John Carmichael and Heritage Minister James Moore. A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag.

The new version contains no such penalties.

The NDP faced some criticism for not displaying enough Canadian flags during last weekend's leadership convention. An NDP spokesman couldn't immediately explain the party's position......

NDP votes against flag freedom bill | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun (external - login to view)

At first I did not believe your post so I checked Hansard and there it was
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=Hansard&Doc=101&Parl=41&Ses=1 &Language=E&Mode=1#SOB-7195910 (external - login to view)

All the NDP voted against it so one has to assume that the NDP is the new seperatist party who would have thought.

Locutus
I find politicians like most online spastics. They'll fight and argue over just about anything.

Haven't seen the equally assinine classic in the Commons yet but give it time:

ps3 sucks.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

so you're saying one shouldn't be proud of their country by hanging a flag outside their home.,. I personally think I would Love to see more Canadian flags hanging for Canadian homes.

I not only fly our flag at home, I also have one for my car window.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Canada is not the United States and does not need the crippling nationalism that has stifled so much in the way of intelligent thought in that country. .

You're right... Canada is Canada and this flag issue has nothing to do with the US. But clearly you have a flag problem up there so its YOUR PROBLEM!

In fact... this flag issue you are having from what I'm reading seems much worse. Fines and jail for not allowing people to fly flags?

I hope the flag issues we have in the US don't get as bad as they are in Canada. Wow.

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

How does that give anyone the right to fly the flag?

Why should we pass a law to ENCOURAGE people to do something?

Isn't that a waste of time and energy? Next,we can pass a law to encourage people to Brush their teeth.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

In fact... this flag issue you are having from what I'm reading seems much worse. Fines and jail for not allowing people to fly flags?

I hope the flag issues we have in the US don't get as bad as they are in Canada. Wow.

Once again, an american proving that americans are dumb like stick.

The legislation has no provisions for fines or jail, but if you had actually read the link supplied to the new legislation, you would have known that.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

How does that give anyone the right to fly the flag?

Why should we pass a law to ENCOURAGE people to do something?

Isn't that a waste of time and energy? Next,we can pass a law to encourage people to Brush their teeth.

Exactly. Sure am glad the government is tackling inefficiencies in government departments...

skookumchuck
If you get the Biebe to fly one you will have a whole generation, hell, pay him, it's cheaper than a gov't program. Then there are the benefits for offshore flag makers, importers, and the dollar stores to consider........

Cliffy
The headline is misleading. The NDP are calling for fiscal responsibility and their vote has nothing to do with being against the flag. But then cons like to make mountains out of mole hills when they don't get their own way.

I would be more inclined to think flag waving was patriotic if the flags were actually made in Canada.