Canadian James Cameron's deep sea venture

B00Mer
Community reaction to James Cameron deep sea venture

Avatar film director James Cameron has emerged from the first solo manned scientific exploration of the deepest-known point in the world's oceans, the Challenger Deep at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

The deep sea venture generated tons of buzz ahead of the dive. "James Cameron" continues to be a trending topic countrywide on Twitter.

Cameron spent about three hours below the ocean's surface, according to the National Geographic. As a part of joint project with the National Geographic Society, the film director shot footage and collected research samples, which will be shared in a deep sea documentary.

The CBC Community is eager to see the deep sea footage.

"I [cannot] wait to see the documentary." - Stephan19
"Wow - the footage will be great!" - Canadian Viewer
"Can't wait to see what it looks like." - PiM
"While I haven't enjoyed his last 2 movies I love that he eschews Hollywood glam and uses his wealth and influence to pursue scholarly, scientific interests. Can't wait to see the footage in 3D." - Retired ATC

Some commenters were unimpressed with the filmmaker's feat, instead pondering why a qualified scientist like an oceanographer did not take the deep sea dive.

"If this was about science....why send a [filmmaker]? Why not an oceanographer? This has more to do with ego than science." - Sonicpixie
"I find it odd that a movie director gets there before a scientist does." - HEYitsOK
"What was the point of sending a man down there? What did he find out or accomplish that could not have been achieved by a remotely controlled vehicle?" - kenvanportbc

A few commenters grappled with the environmental impact of the venture, taking Cameron's environmental stance to task.

"So James Cameron, the great sage of environmental and aboriginal issues (as a result of his making the movie Avatar), went to the bottom of the ocean. At least he wasn't quite as far over his head down there as he was when he commented on Canada's oil sands and thought his views would have any weight." - taxpayingidiot
"And how big was his carbon footprint to do all this? James Cameron = hypocrite." - Joe Calgarian
"Another Hollywood hypocrite. Save the oceans - yeah, right." - Theo25

And there were plenty of jabs taken at the film director.

"Fittingly, someone from the movie business hits the absolute bottom." - Johnny2Much
"Thankfully his ego was big enough to withstand the extreme pressure." - Chris V
"Did he find the brooch? Did he play My Heart Will Go On?" - Kenneth

As always, thank you for your feedback and discussion. Feel free to challenge readers' arguments or continue the discussion in the comments section below.

James Cameron ventures to ocean's deepest point - Technology & Science - CBC News

James Cameron on Earth's Deepest Spot: Desolate, Lunar-Like (external - login to view)

Locutus
+1
Jimmy's down!

I can't fathom...why Cameron did this.

L Gilbert
+1
Sounds cool.

It reminds me of this: Catalyst: Big Wave Surf Movie Goes 3D - ABC TV Science (external - login to view)

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Sounds cool.

It reminds me of this: Catalyst: Big Wave Surf Movie Goes 3D - ABC TV Science (external - login to view)

Holly sh!t!!, That's a big wave..

L Gilbert
Yep.

Sure a lot of tech crap to go to just to produce a documentary, too. lol

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I can't fathom...why Cameron did this.

He's Canadian who cares.. be proud that Cameron is a Canadian who created Avatar.

Otherwise, why are you posting on a pro-Canadian forum??
Last edited by B00Mer; Mar 26th, 2012 at 06:00 PM..

L Gilbert
Yeah. Cool movie. I sure want to see the documentary, too.

Locutus
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
Fathom. Must be out of your league.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Fathom. Must be out of your league.

1.8288 meters & three nautical miles... not really.. silly synonyms

Locutus
+1
Thank gawd we didn't need this to explain the bit:

CDNBear
+1

WLDB
Cameron is much better at documentaries than feature films. Should be interesting. Pretty cool second carreer he has going now.

no new posts