Why Is the Story About Malia Obama

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Vacationing in Mexico Disappearing from the Web?

Have you heard that Malia Obama, the president’s daughter, is reportedly spending her spring break in Oaxaca, Mexico? Allegedly, she’s jetting off with some of her classmates and 25 Secret Service agents to a country that the State Department has said all Americans should avoid. But something is different about the latest “Obama vacation controversy:” references to it are disappearing from the Internet — and fast.

Around 3:00 EST, a Telegraph story reporting on the event was the first to vanish (note how the url remains the same in the “before” and “after”):

Plenty more intrigue and screen grabs here:

Malia Obama Oaxaca, Mexico Vacation Story Disappearing from the Web | TheBlaze.com

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would avoid Mexico at all costs too unless I had 25 Secret Service agents with me.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I would avoid Mexico at all costs too unless I had 25 Secret Service agents with me.
Secret Service involvement kind of explains the disappearing posts too. A tempting target for kidnappers.

I'm frankly surprised that anyone would be bewildered about that.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

Have you heard that Malia Obama, the president’s daughter, is reportedly spending her spring break in Oaxaca, Mexico? Allegedly, she’s jetting off with some of her classmates and 25 Secret Service agents to a country that the State Department has said all Americans should avoid.

False. The U.S. State Department warning only applies to fourteen of the thirty-one Mexican states. Oaxaca, one of many states popular with U.S. tourists, is not one of the fourteen.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I spent two weeks in Mexico in January. I vacationed for a week near Laka Chapala (south of Guadalajara) and freely walked about the small town on the lake as well as visiting Guad. I encountered nothing that appeared remotely dangerous. I then traveled to Mexico City and wandered about various parts of the city, mixing freely with the local Mexican population. Once again I encountered nothing threatening even when mingling with people that were obviously desperately poor. As in most things all that is needed to travel safely in a country like Mexico is using a little common sense. I'm sure I could have found dangerous areas if I had sought them out, but I went only to areas full of average Mexicans and there was absolutely no threat from them.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I too would avoid Mexico it is a country that has many safe areas, that is true on the other hand
there a lot of other areas that are not safe. The only way the government is going to clean up the
mess is to be hit in the pocket book, by the absence of tourists. Now we can't ensure that every
town and village is safe in every country and that is a given. We should expect however that the
govenment has a basic measure of control of the nation. The lawless gangs have far too much
power and something must be done..