George Clooney arrested at Sudan Embassy protest

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
George Clooney arrested at Sudan Embassy protest

The International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for the Sudanese president on charges including genocide in 2009, but the African Union has ignored the warrant and al-Bashir has freely travelled outside Sudan several times since then.

John Prendergast of the Enough Project, which organized a National Day of Action on Friday to advocate for emergency aid for the people of Sudan, was the first to be detained. NAACP president Ben Jealous, Martin Luther King III and others soon followed, then Clooney and his father, Nick.

"They need to stop using rape and food as weapons in Sudan," Jealous told reporters as he was led away.

When it was Clooney's turn, a reporter asked what he thought about being arrested with his journalist father.

"Well, it's not actually a humiliating thing to be arrested no matter what you do, but I'm proud to be standing here with my father," he said.

On Thursday, Clooney spoke to the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, telling members there is a campaign in Sudan of "murder and fear and displacement and starvation."

He urged President Barack Obama to help open a humanitarian corridor in Sudan to allow aid to reach the south before the rainy season. The actor told Friday's rally the lives of thousands of people are at risk once the rains come.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I hope this get's the attention he wants.. it's a good cause.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

He urged President Barack Obama to help open a humanitarian corridor in Sudan to allow aid to reach the south before the rainy season. The actor told Friday's rally the lives of thousands of people are at risk once the rains come.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I hope this get's the attention he wants.. it's a good cause.

Open a humanitarian corridor eh? And how do you do that George? The US Military of course. Maybe he should start urging young Hollywood actors and actresses to leave their cushy lives and sign up.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This will get A LOT of attention from the ultra liberals, but will be ignored by everyone else.
Are you going blind or do you just like shouting? But really Old Fart, does this have to be another stupid left/right, liberal/conservative, democrat/republican BS shot?

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Open a humanitarian corridor eh? And how do you do that George? The US Military of course. Maybe he should start urging young Hollywood actors and actresses to leave their cushy lives and sign up.

At least George seems to be a man of his convictions.. I like that.. Liberal or Conservative.. It's nice to see.

Maybe to should be pushing for UN action and use his notoriety for that?? dunno??

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That is not a bad idea. Young idealists from all walks of life should create a volunteer force to go to such hot spots and offer armed support for humanitarian organizations. I'm sure a well organized campaign would garner enough funds to get the project into full swing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
At least George seems to be a man of his convictions.. I like that.. Liberal or Conservative.. It's nice to see.

Maybe to should be pushing for UN action and use his notoriety for that?? dunno??

He should be pushing the UN then. Let someone else do it this time. Enough is enough.

Hollywood celebs often align themselves with causes and sometimes they get pinched. But what is he bothering Obama for? He should use his millions and raise a Merc Army and he should tag along and open up the corridor himself.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That is not a bad idea. Young idealists from all walks of life should create a volunteer force to go to such hot spots and offer armed support for humanitarian organizations. I'm sure a well organized campaign would garner enough funds to get the project into full swing.

It would be neat to see. Arm all those young idealist libs that have been going on about Sudan for years ("Not on my watch" folks) and let them mix it up in the bush with the bandits.

Talk about a dose of reality!

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
"On Thursday, Clooney spoke to the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee"

Can anybody speak to them? Or do you have to be a rich movie star?
US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations: About the Committee

(c) Hearings, Selection of Witnesses.—To ensure that the issue which is the subject of the hearing is presented as fully and fairly as possible, whenever a hearing is conducted by the committee or a subcommittee upon any measure or matter, the ranking member of the committee or subcommittee may call an equal number of non-governmental witnesses selected by the ranking member to testify at that hearing.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
He should be pushing the UN then. Let someone else do it this time. Enough is enough.

Hollywood celebs often align themselves with causes and sometimes they get pinched. But what is he bothering Obama for? He should use his millions and raise a Merc Army and he should tag along and open up the corridor himself.

Personally, I had had his millions, there would be plenty of little private wars going on all over the world today....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"On Thursday, Clooney spoke to the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee"

Can anybody speak to them? Or do you have to be a rich movie star?

You have to be a rich movie star or a professional athlete. Our politicians love rubbing elbows with those people. They get all star struck.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It would be neat to see. Arm all those young idealist libs that have been going on about Sudan for years ("Not on my watch" folks) and let them mix it up in the bush with the bandits.

Talk about a dose of reality!
Are you insinuating that there are no conservative idealists? Me thinks ye hath blinders on.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Strange. I see no problem with just protesting. From what I've read no crime was committed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are you going blind or do you just like shouting? But really Old Fart, does this have to be another stupid left/right, liberal/conservative, democrat/republican BS shot?

Perhaps with age he's learned he needs a crutch.