Vancouver deputy chief caught driving and using cellphone


B00Mer
#1
Vancouver deputy chief caught driving and using cellphone



Vancouver’s deputy police chief was ticketed earlier this year for distracted driving after getting involved in a traffic accident while making a "work-related phone call," a police spokeswoman said this week.

Warren Lemcke was involved in the accident Jan. 4, but it wasn't made public until Wednesday, "in response to a number of inquiries," said Const. Jana McGuinness in a release late Wednesday.

“Lemcke was driving home around 5 p.m. southbound on Highway 99 just north of the 32nd Avenue exit,” McGuinness said. “Traffic came to an abrupt stop ahead of him at the same time as he was looking down making a work-related phone call.”

Lemcke rear-ended the vehicle in front of him, and later, “he was issued a violation ticket for driving without due care and attention,” the release said.

McGuinness said there were no injuries and the couple in the car ahead drove off once the incident was resolved.

The police vehicle Lemcke was driving sustained front-end damage in the collision and was towed, the release said.

McGuinness said Lemcke “accepts full responsibility for the collision, saying, ‘There's no excuse for a mistake like this and I urge other drivers to keep their attention fully focused on the road ahead.’”

Exemptions exist to the dialing-and-driving legislation for police, fire and ambulance personnel who may need to make calls in the performance of their duties.

Vancouver police stipulates that calls while driving should be of a priority and duty-related, and only made if other reasonable alternatives are not available, said McGuinness.

source: Vancouver deputy chief caught driving and using cellphone - British Columbia - CBC News

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 
JLM
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Vancouver deputy chief caught driving and using cellphone



Vancouver’s deputy police chief was ticketed earlier this year for distracted driving after getting involved in a traffic accident while making a "work-related phone call," a police spokeswoman said this week.

Warren Lemcke was involved in the accident Jan. 4, but it wasn't made public until Wednesday, "in response to a number of inquiries," said Const. Jana McGuinness in a release late Wednesday.

“Lemcke was driving home around 5 p.m. southbound on Highway 99 just north of the 32nd Avenue exit,” McGuinness said. “Traffic came to an abrupt stop ahead of him at the same time as he was looking down making a work-related phone call.”

Lemcke rear-ended the vehicle in front of him, and later, “he was issued a violation ticket for driving without due care and attention,” the release said.

McGuinness said there were no injuries and the couple in the car ahead drove off once the incident was resolved.

The police vehicle Lemcke was driving sustained front-end damage in the collision and was towed, the release said.

McGuinness said Lemcke “accepts full responsibility for the collision, saying, ‘There's no excuse for a mistake like this and I urge other drivers to keep their attention fully focused on the road ahead.’”

Exemptions exist to the dialing-and-driving legislation for police, fire and ambulance personnel who may need to make calls in the performance of their duties.

Vancouver police stipulates that calls while driving should be of a priority and duty-related, and only made if other reasonable alternatives are not available, said McGuinness.

source: Vancouver deputy chief caught driving and using cellphone - British Columbia - CBC News

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

But if it was a woman cop, it would have been just fine and dandy I guess!!!!!!!!!!
 
petros
#3
Did they taser him?
 
karrie
#4
here in Alberta police vehicles are exempt from the distracted driving law when acting within the scope of their job.
 
JLM
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

here in Alberta police vehicles are exempt from the distracted driving law when acting within the scope of their job.

I don't happen to have a big problem with that. It's not like they are gossiping!
 
TenPenny
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

here in Alberta police vehicles are exempt from the distracted driving law when acting within the scope of their job.

Same in NB, police etc are specifically exempt from the law on cell phones. They still, however, have to drive 'with due care and attention', so even in NB, he would have a ticket.

Not a big deal, except for people looking for an issue.
 
B00Mer
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But if it was a woman cop, it would have been just fine and dandy I guess!!!!!!!!!!

 
Kreskin
#8
Work-related call, I call bull****.
 
bobnoorduyn
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

here in Alberta police vehicles are exempt from the distracted driving law when acting within the scope of their job.

Love it when we have laws for us and special exemptions for those who enforce the laws for us. BTW, Danny Williams was also caught using a cell phone while driving only months after his government banned the practice, his was a business related call too.
 
JLM
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Love it when we have laws for us and special exemptions for those who enforce the laws for us. BTW, Danny Williams was also caught using a cell phone while driving only months after his government banned the practice, his was a business related call too.

I'm not sure if this situation is that "cut and dried", when a citizen is driving he/she has one duty to perform, paying attention to their driving and the traffic situation around them. Cops have lights and sirens to aid them in their duties and at times I can see where it would be necessary for them to communicate by radio/cell phone. Mind you when there aren't in an emergent situation they shouldn't be doing things like placing orders at Timmy's on their cell phone.
 
karrie
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Love it when we have laws for us and special exemptions for those who enforce the laws for us. BTW, Danny Williams was also caught using a cell phone while driving only months after his government banned the practice, his was a business related call too.

To the understanding of more than one business owner here, ANY vehicle which needs to communicate with its dispatch can actually plead exemption, not just police officers. Much the same as delivery vehicles making frequent stops are exempt from seat belt laws. But, I don't know what's ACTUAL law versus what's someone's interpretation of said law.
 
taxslave
#12
I guess the technological marvel called hands free calling has not made it to the boonies like Vancouver yet.
When driving code three is the worst possible time to be on a phone. You really have to pay attention to the road. It is a little better with 2 way radios since you can listen without using your hands.
 
JLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

To the understanding of more than one business owner here, ANY vehicle which needs to communicate with its dispatch can actually plead exemption, not just police officers. Much the same as delivery vehicles making frequent stops are exempt from seat belt laws. But, I don't know what's ACTUAL law versus what's someone's interpretation of said law.

I love it when those in authority recognize and use common sense.
 
JLM
#14
In the interest of fairness and to try to balance off the opinion that cops get "away with murder", one cop's indiscretion has cost him his job, which given the circumstances I think is proper.

Crash results in Abbotsford officer's firing - British Columbia - CBC News
 

Similar Threads

no new posts