Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist


Locutus
#1
A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports.

Last year Amina’s parents filed charges against their daughter’s rapist, a man 10 years older than her but it was only recently that a judge in the northern city of Tangier decided that instead of punishing him, the two must be married.

The court’s decision to forcibly marry Amina to her rapist was supposed to “resolve” the damage of sexual violation against her, but it led to more suffering in the unwelcoming home of her rapist/husband’s family.

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.

According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

Moroccan penal code exempts a rapist from punishment if he agrees to marry his victim.

Feminists have long demanded an amendment to this article.

Hafida Elbaz, director of the Women’s Solidarity Association told a-Massae that the article provides an opportunity for a perpetrator to avoid punishment.

Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist (external - login to view)
 
SLM
+3
#2
That's repugnant that she would be forced to do this. Unbelievable.
 
spaminator
+4
#3
Quote:

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life
by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family

she should have mixed his food and drink with rat poison.
 
PoliticalNick
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.

I have to wonder just a little bit if it was really suicide or were there darker circumstances?
 
B00Mer
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

she should have mixed his food and drink with rat poison.

agreed..
 
spaminator
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

I have to wonder just a little bit if it was really suicide or were there darker circumstances?

they may have faked her suicide.
 
Colpy
+3
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports.

Last year Amina’s parents filed charges against their daughter’s rapist, a man 10 years older than her but it was only recently that a judge in the northern city of Tangier decided that instead of punishing him, the two must be married.

The court’s decision to forcibly marry Amina to her rapist was supposed to “resolve” the damage of sexual violation against her, but it led to more suffering in the unwelcoming home of her rapist/husband’s family.

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.

According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

Moroccan penal code exempts a rapist from punishment if he agrees to marry his victim.

Feminists have long demanded an amendment to this article.

Hafida Elbaz, director of the Women’s Solidarity Association told a-Massae that the article provides an opportunity for a perpetrator to avoid punishment.

Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist (external - login to view)

Fed up with Islam yet?

they are merely following the example of the Prophet.......
 
TenPenny
+1
#8
I would hope that the judge is sentenced to be hung by his testicles in a pool of water for 75 years.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Fed up with Islam yet?

they are merely following the example of the Prophet.......

At least they don't bite the foreskins off babies. That's one step above barbarism.
 
55Mercury
#9
great, let's get some more of those people here!
 
Cliffy
+5
#10  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

great, let's get some more of those people here!

I bet that is what the Indians said after a few years of European immigration.
 
CDNBear
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I bet that is what the Indians said after a few years of European immigration.

 
gerryh
+3
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Fed up with Islam yet?

they are merely following the example of the Prophet.......


Fu ck you're stupid.

Quote:

According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

 
Just the Facts
+1
#13
Apparently it's a "Local rural tradition" in Afghanistan too. I wonder what other places we might discover this "local rural tradition" around the world.

O lookee here, it's a local rural tradition in Pakistan too:

The Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) has received information that A 12-year-old Christian girl was abducted and raped for eight months. The rapists have not been arrested because of their affiliation with a militant Muslim organization. The police are also refusing to order a medical checkup. The Judicial Magistrate of the area took her statement under section 164 Cr Pc (Criminal Procedure Code) but has not made any orders for her security. One of the rapist claims that he has married the girl but she denies that any marriage took place during her abduction and captivity.
The police have warned the Christian parents that it would be better to hand over the girl to her 'legal' husband (the rapist) otherwise a criminal case will be filed against them.

PAKISTAN: A 12 year-old Christian is gang raped for eight months, forcibly converted and then 'married' to her Muslim attacker (external - login to view)

No. Way.

India too? India!?!

The victim faced a life as an outcast, ostracised and stigmatised by Indian society for being on the receiving end of a violent sexual crime.
But if her assailant married her, the shame would be lifted in the eyes of the local Muslim community.


Rape victim marries jailed attacker to avoid Muslim shun - International - Scotsman.com (external - login to view)

So her shame would be lifted in the eyes of the Muslim community. What about the aforementioned Indian society? Would her shame be lifted in their eyes too? Or was there shame there to be lifted at all? Hey! Who was in prison here?!? lol
 
CDNBear
+2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the FactsView Post

But if her assailant married her, the shame would be lifted in the eyes of the local Muslim community.

Another local rural tradition.
 
gerryh
+1
#15
Quote the section of the Quran where it allows this.
 
CDNBear
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Quote the section of the Quran where it allows this.

Irrelevant.
 
skookumchuck
#17
I wondered how this would play out with the defenders of poor misjudged Islam. Getting sleepy now.
 
gerryh
#18
of course it is.
 
Just the Facts
+2
#19
You are NOT gonna fricken believe this. It's a local rural tradition it Turkey too!

Where Girls Marry Rapists for Honor

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey — Rojda was 13 when she was raped two years ago by a neighbor in this hardscrabble Kurdish province. In order to "cleanse" her honor, she was forced to marry her attacker in an unofficial Islamic-style ceremony.
Where Girls Marry Rapists for Honor - Los Angeles Times (external - login to view)
 
skookumchuck
#20
It is also very quick and easy to divorce there too. Might slow them down a bit if their ex wives had some rights.
 
Bar Sinister
+1
#21
Perhaps this should be part of Colpy's "Fed up Islam Yet?" thread.

However, in reply to this thread one should always be mindful of Islam's battle cry: "Onward to the 11th century!"
 
55Mercury
#22
my my, you could almost equate respecting Islam to having no respect for the rights of women.

Oh, did I say 'almost'?

Of course you can!
 
Cliffy
+1
#23
Europeans and their "New World" descendents are barely out of the cave when it comes to women's rights and already we are acting as if we are superior to everybody else. As appalling as these customs are, we are not that far ahead. This is beginning to sound like a West/East pissing contest.
 
oleoleolanda
+2
#24
I think the problem with Islam is that it hasn't undergone a reformation, as Christianity and Judaism have, so it hasn't moved into modernity. This is aggravated by the fact that politically, economically and socially, the countries where Islam is in majority are also lagging behind. I think Muslim reactionaries and fascists, however, use any criticism of Islam to push forward the belief among Musilms that they are all under attack. I really do believe that all this can be fought with strong movements for women's rights, children's rights and for religious, political and cultural tolerance and freedom in the Muslim world. And I think there should be a zero tolerance from modern nations when it comes to barbaric laws and practices that violate these. Incidences like a child victim of rape being forced to marry her rapist and the laws that support this should be something world leaders speak up about loudly and with condemenation and demands for change.
 
petros
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by oleoleolandaView Post

I think the problem with Islam is that it hasn't undergone a reformation, as Christianity and Judaism have, so it hasn't moved into modernity. .

Take a bus ride in Jerusalem and say that again....
 
oleoleolanda
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Take a bus ride in Jerusalem and say that again....

Why don't you expand on that because it makes no sense to me. Unless you've taken a bus ride in Jerusalem and seen some ultra orthodox Jews on the bus. However, there will always be some within any religion who hold on to the archaic and ultra conservative but these exceptions do not speak on the reformation religions have undergone. Israel is a modern state with modern laws. U ltra Orthodox Jews represent a tiny percentage of Jews worldwide. Reactionary laws and beliefs that are oppressive to women, children, individual freedoms and are intolerant of other ethnic groups and religions remain enshrined in laws and culture in the Muslim world--so far.
 
petros
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by oleoleolandaView Post

Why don't you expand on that because it makes no sense to me. Unless you've taken a bus ride in Jerusalem and seen some ultra orthodox Jews on the bus. However, there will always be some within any religion who hold on to the archaic and ultra conservative but these exceptions do not speak on the reformation religions have undergone. Israel is a modern state with modern laws. U ltra Orthodox Jews represent a tiny percentage of Jews worldwide. Reactionary laws and beliefs that are oppressive to women, children, individual freedoms and are intolerant of other ethnic groups and religions remain enshrined in laws and culture in the Muslim world--so far.

As Seen On TV?
 
darkbeaver
+1
#28
The west knows how to protect womens rights while murdering them with drones. Ain't we advanced? We must have had a reformation.
 
oleoleolanda
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

As Seen On TV?

Petros, most majority Muslim countries are ruled by the Muslim equivalent of those extremist Orthodox Jews who fight against modernity, the laws are based on the same level of backwardness. There will always be reactionaries and downright fascists in every society and every religion, every movement. When Islam goes through its reformation, which I think is happening, those who believe in the archaic and repressive treatment of women as their God-given right will also represent a small fringe group.
 
petros
+3
#30
Those type of people aren't Muzzies, Heebs or Christians..... they are *******s and should be adressed as such first and foremost.
 

Similar Threads

18
Soldier commits suicide live on webcam
by Locutus | Mar 18th, 2012
6
Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
by Locutus | Feb 8th, 2008
13
Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
by I think not | Mar 26th, 2006
no new posts