Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist


oleoleolanda
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

As Seen On TV?

Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The west knows how to protect womens rights while murdering them with drones. Ain't we advanced? We must have had a reformation.

Hey, if you're concerned about women's rights, you should participate in this:

Breaking Bread (external - login to view)

The war against the Taliban has made it possible for organizations such as this one to begin the long hard journey to women's rights in that country.
 
shadowshiv
+2
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports.

Last year Amina’s parents filed charges against their daughter’s rapist, a man 10 years older than her but it was only recently that a judge in the northern city of Tangier decided that instead of punishing him, the two must be married.

The court’s decision to forcibly marry Amina to her rapist was supposed to “resolve” the damage of sexual violation against her, but it led to more suffering in the unwelcoming home of her rapist/husband’s family.

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.

According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

Moroccan penal code exempts a rapist from punishment if he agrees to marry his victim.

Feminists have long demanded an amendment to this article.

Hafida Elbaz, director of the Women’s Solidarity Association told a-Massae that the article provides an opportunity for a perpetrator to avoid punishment.

Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist (external - login to view)

This has got to be one of the most extreme cases of judicial idiocy that I've ever heard! That judge needs to have his *** kicked. Marrying the rapist? What a ****ing idiot!

I have a question. How does forcing a girl to marry her rapist protect the honour of the girl? Answer. It doesn't! Man, it pisses me off reading such lunacy!
 
eh1eh
+1
#33
Just wait. The Republicans will table a bill requiring women in America to marry their rapists. Only if they get pregnat from the rape though. They're not religious fanatics like Muslims.
 
earth_as_one
+4
#34
I agree with gerryh's points, I just disagree with him making his point by being insulting and using profanity. Show a little respect.

Islam does not require women to marry their rapists.

This concept of forcing a rape victim to marry her attacker sounded familiar. Sure enough, about 20 years ago, while studying Spanish, I read a short story by Cervantes (Author of The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, the famous story about a man fighting windmills) where he writes favorably about a woman happily marrying her rapist in order to regain her honor and her family's good name.

The Exemplary Novels of Cervantes by Miguel de Cervantes: The Force of Blood (external - login to view)
I know its just a story, but it reflects attitudes of the time and suggests that Christians also forced rape victims to marry their attackers in order to preserve their honor.

BTW according to the Bible:

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife ...
Deuteronomy 22:28-9

Fed up with Christianity yet?

FTR, I'm agnostic. I support a person's right to choose their path.
Last edited by earth_as_one; Mar 17th, 2012 at 06:53 AM..
 
CDNBear
#35
EAO, makes an excellent point, about how Christianity doesn't have the same strangle hold on laws, that Islam does.

Way to go EAO.
 
Ariadne
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

EAO, makes an excellent point, about how Christianity doesn't have the same strangle hold on laws, that Islam does.

Way to go EAO.

Way to go EAQ ... but what about the 15 year old that supposedly died of rat poisoning in her husband's familiial home after being forced to marry him because he raped her?

Was she in a safe situation being forced to marry her rapist and turning up dead from drinking rat poison?

Suicide?

Why don't women in the US drink rat poison when committing suicide ... clearly it's not a suicide that someone would choose ... when you really think about it.
 
CDNBear
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Way to go EAQ ... but what about the 15 year old that supposedly died of rat poisoning in her husband's familiial home after being forced to marry him because he raped her?

Was she in a safe situation being forced to marry her rapist and turning up dead from drinking rat poison?

Suicide?

Why don't women in the US drink rat poison when committing suicide ... clearly it's not a suicide that someone would choose ... when you really think about it.

Sorry, I can't comment on facts not in evidence. I'm not prone to making things up to suit an agenda, like yourself.

Only stupid people do that.
 
Ariadne
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Sorry, I can't comment on facts not in evidence. I'm not prone to making things up to suit an agenda, like yourself.

Only stupid people do that.

Understandably, you are unable to comment on the thread about the 15 year old girl that allegedly commited suicide by rat poison after being forced to marry her rapist.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have no clue about the subject and no comment unless it has something to do with "stupid".
 
CDNBear
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Understandably, you are unable to comment on the thread about the 15 year old girl that allegedly commited suicide by rat poison after being forced to marry her rapist.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have no clue about ther subject and no comment unless it has something to do with "stupid".

Oh I have an opinion on the story's facts at hand. Which I have already posted, further back in the thread, and to the post of mine, that you quoted.

I just don't comment on or endorse the stupidity of speculation in something you made up.

Really. That isn't that hard to grasp, if someone wasn't so complete stupid.

I'm not surprised you failed to grasp it.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 17th, 2012 at 08:48 AM..
 
TenPenny
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Way to go EAQ ... but what about the 15 year old that supposedly died of rat poisoning in her husband's familiial home after being forced to marry him because he raped her?

Was she in a safe situation being forced to marry her rapist and turning up dead from drinking rat poison?

Suicide?

Why don't women in the US drink rat poison when committing suicide ... clearly it's not a suicide that someone would choose ... when you really think about it.

What makes you think that people would not choose Suicide by rat poison?
 
CDNBear
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

What makes you think that people would not choose Suicide by rat poison?

Her agenda and hate for men?
 
Ariadne
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Oh I have an opinion on the story's facts at hand. Which I have already posted, further back in the thread, and to the post of mine, that you quoted.

I just don't make comments on or endorse the stupidity of speculation on something you made up.

Really. That isn't that hard to grasp, if someone wasn't so complete stupid.

I'm not surprised you failed to grasp it.

I have no doubt that you have an opinion about the story at hand. The one word you have uttered repeatedly is "stupid", in the context of "you are stupid".

" ... endorse the stupidity of speculation on something you made up".

What exactly does that mean,?
 
CDNBear
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I have no doubt that you have an opinion about the story at hand. The one word you have uttered repeardly is "stupid", in the context of "you are stupid".

I have pointed out the stupidity contained in your posts, repeatedly, as a public service, in hopes that you'll stop posting stupid things.

Quote:

" ... endorse the stupidity of speculation on something you made up".

What exactly does that mean,?

Your posts are filled with stupid speculation, and stuff you make up. I don't comment on, nor endorse that kind of stupidity.

I'm not surprised that had to be explained to you.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 17th, 2012 at 08:56 AM..
 
Ariadne
#44
Do you ever feel like you want to say the word "stupid" with a long U?
 
petros
+1
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Why don't women in the US drink rat poison when committing suicide ... clearly it's not a suicide that someone would choose ... when you really think about it.

Pills aren't cover by insurance in other nations?
 
CDNBear
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Do you ever feel like you want to say the word "stupid" with a long U?

Only when replying to your posts.
 
earth_as_one
+1
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Way to go EAQ ... but what about the 15 year old that supposedly died of rat poisoning in her husband's familiial home after being forced to marry him because he raped her?

Was she in a safe situation being forced to marry her rapist and turning up dead from drinking rat poison?

Suicide?

Why don't women in the US drink rat poison when committing suicide ... clearly it's not a suicide that someone would choose ... when you really think about it.


What do you suppose "I support a person's right to choose their path" would mean regarding a 15 year old girl being forced to marry her rapist?

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

....I support a person's right to choose their path.

This girl may have committed suicide or was murdered. Either way, the judge has the girl's blood on his hands.
Last edited by earth_as_one; Mar 17th, 2012 at 09:40 AM..
 
Locutus
+5
#48
 
EagleSmack
+4
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

This has got to be one of the most extreme cases of judicial idiocy that I've ever heard! That judge needs to have his *** kicked. Marrying the rapist? What a ****ing idiot!

I have a question. How does forcing a girl to marry her rapist protect the honour of the girl? Answer. It doesn't! Man, it pisses me off reading such lunacy!

He's just following tradition. I guess we have to be tolerant.
 
karrie
+5
#50
 
gerryh
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post


No no no Karrie, you have it backwards.... it's not the potential assaulters responsibility, its the potential assaultee's responsibility.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#52
Wasn't that long ago that Christianity didn't concern itself with the rape of non-Christians in North America.
 
taxslave
+1
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Wasn't that long ago that Christianity didn't concern itself with the rape of non-Christians in North America.

Or at least non white christians..
 
L Gilbert
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Or at least non white christians..

Yep. Up to about 150 years ago (maybe even later than that) it wasn't particularly frowned upon as people that weren't Christians weren't viewed to be quite human either. And it was definitely ok to rape slaves.
 
Cliffy
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yep. Up to about 150 years ago (maybe even later than that) it wasn't particularly frowned upon as people that weren't Christians weren't viewed to be quite human either. And it was definitely ok to rape slaves.

Or aboriginal kids in residential schools as recent as 1980s.
 
L Gilbert
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Or aboriginal kids in residential schools as recent as 1980s.

Nope. I don't think that most of Canada viewed those as being ok if they actually knew about the issue. That I meant when society as a whole seemed to think it was an ok activity seems to have not occurred to you.
 
Cliffy
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Nope. I don't think that most of Canada viewed those as being ok if they actually knew about the issue. That I meant when society as a whole seemed to think it was an ok activity seems to have not occurred to you.

Perhaps indifference is more correct assessment of what I said. I remember being at a large gathering (4000 or so) of aboriginal people in Alberta in '79. My parents arrived there from Montreal to see their newest grandson. They were horrified that I was associating with such heathen savages. They were actually terrified that we would be eaten or something. And that attitude was not that rare among the European descendents at that time.
 
L Gilbert
#58
Oh, I have no doubt that even today there are some people who wouldn't even blink about it.
 
gerryh
#59
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Perhaps indifference is more correct assessment of what I said. I remember being at a large gathering (4000 or so) of aboriginal people in Alberta in '79. My parents arrived there from Montreal to see their newest grandson. They were horrified that I was associating with such heathen savages. They were actually terrified that we would be eaten or something. And that attitude was not that rare among the European descendents at that time.


No, I would say that that would be an incorrect assessment, and as for YOUR parents prejudices, no need to project them onto everyone else. Which begs the question..... what is your heritage again?
 
L Gilbert
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

No, I would say that that would be an incorrect assessment,

Yep. I think our society has moved on a bit from acceptance of stuff like this. There's bound to be a few stragglers around, though.

Um, is this St.Paddy's Day also a Gerry Being Nice Day? lol
 

Similar Threads

18
Soldier commits suicide live on webcam
by Locutus | Mar 18th, 2012
6
Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
by Locutus | Feb 8th, 2008
13
Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
by I think not | Mar 26th, 2006
no new posts