Fed up with Islam Yet???

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

I don't feel that disavowing the belief in and reverence for invisible wizard folk requires me to grow up at all...I left those silly notions behind me in my pre-teens...

That's you.

How do you balance the fact that outlawing religion, may make the world a better place, with the fact that you would have to commit an extremely fascist act to find out?

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

No you can't.

Oh yes I can...

CDNBear
+3

Yes I can...

No you can't.

Oh yes I can...

The last time I witnessed a conversation like this, I was walking the dog by a playground.

gerryh
+1

I do agree with you though that people would make up some other excuse to commit attrocities, but it would be a step in the right direction...

How is trading one excuse for another a step in any direction? At best you're going sideways and not making any positive headway at all.

Like I said, simplistic solutions, that in reality, are no solution at all. It appears that you stopped thinking completely in your preteens.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

How do you balance the fact that outlawing religion, may make the world a better place, with the fact that you would have to commit an extremely fascist act to do so?

Actually, many religious organizations are considered to be aligned with neo-fascist ideals, so in abolishing them, it could be considered liberation from fascism...

Dexter Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Exactly correct.

And it completely defeats your argument that Islam is simply behaving as Christianity did, and is in the same phase Christianity was 600 years ago......

That wasn't quite my argument, but it's close. All the evils of Islam you list in other posts here were implicit in it from the beginning, just as all the evils done in the name of Christianity were in Christianity, and you need only listen to Christian extremists to know that they still are. It's the loss of secular power that civilized Christianity, and there was certainly no inevitability about it, I wasn't making an argument about developmental phases. There's been nothing equivalent to the Reformation, the Enlightenment, or the Age of Reason in the Islamic world. Islam's golden age was due mostly to an unusual succession of remarkably enlightened (for their time) individuals running things, and when they were gone the more usual human follies reasserted themselves. It's as Jacob Bronowski said standing in the pond at Auschwitz: when people believe they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave, which I would qualify by adding, when they have the power to do so. It's crucial to civilization that religion not have that power, a lesson the Islamic world hasn't learned, and it'll be much harder for it to learn that because it's quite clear in Islamic scripture that the state and the church are the same institutions, no separation is possible.

Goober

That's you.

How do you balance the fact that outlawing religion, may make the world a better place, with the fact that you would have to commit an extremely fascist act to find out?

That is just the first step. Every step after that is always further to the left. Many mistakenly believe that purges as Stalin did were to the right, they were always further to the left. Odd eh.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Like I said, simplistic solutions, that in reality, are no solution at all. It appears that you stopped thinking completely in your preteens.

No, I started asking questions instead of trusting that what I was being told was correct...

Colpy
+2

Alright, back on topic then...I'm tired of all religions...outlaw them all I say, and the world will be a better place for everyone...

you mean like the tens of thousands that died at the hands of the French gov't immediately after they outlawed belief in God in 1793.....or the 100 million that died at the hands of godless communism.

If God didn't exist, we would have to invent Him.

Dexter Sinister
+4

We did.

Vanni Fucci

...and here I thought you didn't get it...

Goober

No, I started asking questions instead of trusting that what I was being told was correct...

Please define Faith - That is one of the the basic blocks of religion

Vanni Fucci

Please define Faith - That is one of the the basic blocks of religion

Faith is belief in something despite evidence that may prove to be contrary to that belief...and faith once attained creates a circle within it's own argument, that requires that you break the circle for a chance to escape...

CDNBear
+2

Actually, many religious organizations are considered to be aligned with neo-fascist ideals, so in abolishing them, it could be considered liberation from fascism...

You think intolerance and dissolving the basic human right of freedom of religion, is less fascist than... what?

That is just the first step. Every step after that is always further to the left. Many mistakenly believe that purges as Stalin did were to the right, they were always further to the left. Odd eh.

Not odd at all.

I actually figured that out when I was about 8 or 9. Right after I was told for the last time, I had to be right handed, and smacked by a Nun for failing to acquiesce.

I thought to myself, how can there be a God, that loves me, but still lets this happen.

It wasn't long after, I figured out, God had nothing to do with it. It was just someones sick interpretation of what they thought God wanted.

L Gilbert
+1
I really don't think most Moslem people accept Sharia as being the way to go. It appears they are tired of people that use Sharia in order to oppress them. The entire ME is evolving. What it is evolving into is highly debatable, but I'm of the opinion that Moslems will end up much like Christians after they dumped people like those that ran Inquisitions, then refused to be governed by the RCC, and the like. IOW, I think Islam will become more and more peaceful. It's going to take a long time, though. Like Christianity, it will likely never be totally peaceful.
Some people just can't seem to get it through their intensely dense whatever-appendages-they-think-with that most Moslems prefer to simply live their lives and be left alone and like any other country or region on the planet, it is only minorities that like to cause trouble.

Goober

Faith is belief in something despite evidence that may prove to be contrary to that belief...and faith once attained creates a circle within it's own argument, that requires that you break the circle for a chance to escape...

As I stated, you can neither prove nor disprove if a Creator exists.

May, oh may, often misused. Oh poor, poor May.

I rest my case.

Vanni Fucci

You think intolerance and dissolving the basic human right of freedom of religion, is less fascist than... what?

Who's to say that we should have been given that right in the first place...

Quote:

I actually figured that out when I was about 8 or 9. Right after I was told for the last time, I had to be right handed, and smacked by a Nun for failing to acquiesce.

I thought to myself, how can there be a God, that loves me, but still lets this happen.

It wasn't long after, I figured out, God had nothing to do with it. It was just someones sick interpretation of what they thought God wanted.

Then you haven't thought long enough about it...if you had, you'd have discovered that there is no god and that bitch is whacking you for no reason at all...

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

The entire ME is evolving.

I'd have to disagree. We're seeing more hard line gov'ts being formed. Egypt, Libya, possibly Syria.

It looks like de-evolution to me.

Goober
+1

Who's to say that we should have been given that right in the first place....

Now you have chosen to dispose of freedom of choice. Please expand upon what other freedoms would be delisted under your rule as Supreme Decider???
Oh yes, please add in the affects that having no freedom of choice would impact upon. Where to live, jobs, schools, education, why who you marry. Just to name a few.

CDNBear

Who's to say that we should have been given that right in the first place...

Interesting. Did you not understand the question?

Quote:

Then you haven't thought long enough about it...if you had, you'd have discovered that there is no god and that bitch is whacking you for no reason at all...

Your arrogance aside, who said I believed in God?

Vanni Fucci

Interesting. Did you not understand the question?

I did...and I posed another question...answer it or not, I couldn't give a ****...

For my part, I do support the Charter right to freedom of religion...I just don't want to see it because I find such a flagrant display of abject stupidity to be offensive...so practice your faith in your homes people, and we'll all get along fine...

gerryh
+1

. I find such a flagrant display of abject stupidity to be offensive....

and yet, here we are having to put up with you.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and yet, here we are having to put up with you.

You can choose to not read it...

Goober
+2

I did...and I posed another question...answer it or not, I couldn't give a ****...

For my part, I do support the Charter right to freedom of religion...I just don't want to see it because I find such a flagrant display of abject stupidity to be offensive...so practice your faith in your homes people, and we'll all get along fine...

Again with the Limits on the Charter. Every point you make is indefensible.

Just keep on beating your head against that brick wall. Eventually it will become numb. My God in Heaven, it already has.

Perhaps a Midol would help.

Vanni Fucci

Your arrogance aside, who said I believed in God?

Then you're a blathering idiot, arguing for the sake of argument...thanks for the clarification...

CDNBear
+2

I did...

Then why can't/won't you answer it?

Quote:

For my part, I do support the Charter right to freedom of religion..

Ok, so which is it, outlaw all religion, or freedom of religion?

You're contradicting yourself.

Quote:

.I just don't want to see it because I find such a flagrant display of abject stupidity to be offensive...

As offensive as that comment?

Quote:

... so practice your faith in your homes people, and we'll all get along fine...

Hmmm, so you don't believe in freedom of expression either.

Geezus, no wonder you endorse draconian, and fascist ideals.

gerryh
+2

You can choose to not read it...

and you can choose to ignore, not participate, walk away from religion. As has been pointed out, your suggestion of removing religious rights is indefensible, AND moronically simplistic.

Goober
+2

Then you're a blathering idiot, arguing for the sake of argument...thanks for the clarification...

You brought up a point - It was dismembered quite easily - The point was not valid - yet you keep on chugging along running off the bridge of Intolerance.

CDNBear
+1

Speaking of blathering idiots. You do realize I don't have to believe in God, or not believe in God to discuss religion.

But thanks for, again defining your rather fascist authoritarian ideology.

Vanni Fucci

Again with the Limits on the Charter. Every point you make is indefensible.

I'm not trying to defend anything, I've just brought up a point that maybe the Charter that we have is not the Charter that we'll always have, and maybe not even the best that we could have had...

I look forward to a day when the question is answered, and all of that will be irrelevant...

But thanks for, again defining your rather fascist authoritarian ideology.

LMAO...ok