backyard hockey endangered?

L Gilbert
people from Concordia and McGill predict this

"A team of Canadian climate scientists is predicting the widespread disappearance of outdoor hockey rinks across the country in the next 50 years due to global warming ......."

Warming may wipe out Canadian tradition - FP News (external - login to view)

That's kind of a bummer.

Spade
+1
Happening in Calgary already.

SLM
Messing with hockey now is it?

Expect interest in global warming to raise dramatically.

talloola
From some reports I have read, many of the outdoor rinks 'now' are not natural ice anyway, but are
supported by freezing mechanisms, so that will just continue and expand as needed, and outdoor hockey
games won't be harmed at all.

#juan
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

From some reports I have read, many of the outdoor rinks 'now' are not natural ice anyway, but are
supported by freezing mechanisms, so that will just continue and expand as needed, and outdoor hockey

We are talking about backyard hockey and natural ice outdoor rinks. A lot of those are just not reliable anymore. I'm sure Winnipeg and Prince George will continue to use natural ice but others in some cities where the temperatures are marginal will be having trouble. My dad once flooded an area in our back yard and we skated on that. That sort of rink is becoming harder to find because in a lot of areas, the weather is not reliable. The other thing is, that artificial ice costs money. In Winnipeg the natural outdoor rinks were free. Add at least a hundred thousand for an ice making system and somebody has to pay for it.

mentalfloss
Say goodbye to Rideau Canal skating.

spaminator
how about floor and ground hockey?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

We are talking about backyard hockey and natural ice outdoor rinks. A lot of those are just not reliable anymore. I'm sure Winnipeg and Prince George will continue to use natural ice but others in some cities where the temperatures are marginal will be having trouble. My dad once flooded an area in our back yard and we skated on that. That sort of rink is becoming harder to find because in a lot of areas, the weather is not reliable. The other thing is, that artificial ice costs money. In Winnipeg the natural outdoor rinks were free. Add at least a hundred thousand for an ice making system and somebody has to pay for it.

In areas of the country that 'don't' have much rain at all in the winter, the natural ice rinks don't
have to come to an end, they can be
rigged with freezing mechanisms, and continue their outdoor hockey, we certainly can't do that on the
coast, too much rain during the winter.

Of course the small ones, backyard ones etc, will come to an end, but there are lots of large ones
that can continue.

#juan

In areas of the country that 'don't' have much rain at all in the winter, the natural ice rinks don't
have to come to an end, they can be
rigged with freezing mechanisms, and continue their outdoor hockey, we certainly can't do that on the
coast, too much rain during the winter.

Of course the small ones, backyard ones etc, will come to an end, but there are lots of large ones
that can continue.

I've seen natural outdoor rinks with a roof but no walls but rain means it is too warm to make ice naturally. A refrigeration system that pumps ice cold brine through the ice rink is very expensive. You have to lay the grid of brine piping down and pour a new concrete floor over it. It is not a simple job that you can just add as an afterthought.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Messing with hockey now is it?

Expect interest in global warming to raise dramatically.

I wonder how many women know about the threats of global warming on chocolate?
Valentine's Day destroyed by climate change? - latimes.com (external - login to view)

DaSleeper

Quan Cokley - On My Mind Stop Global Warming - YouTube

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Valentine's Day destroyed by climate change? - latimes.com (external - login to view)

Now why would you assume that just because I'm a woman this will make more of an impact than hockey?

You're not wrong, it absolutely does, but why assume that? Lol

L Gilbert

Well, that's good, but the backyard and empty lot rinks seem to be on the way into extinction. Like around here, there's only the local arenas that have rinks other than an occasional pond or a rink some benevolent person has made with their garden hose.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Mar 6th, 2012 at 05:29 PM..

Tonington
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Now why would you assume that just because I'm a woman this will make more of an impact than hockey?

You're not wrong, it absolutely does, but why assume that? Lol

Nah, I just expect if more women know about it, interest in global warming will dramatically rise

L Gilbert

Anna told me about that a few months ago. We have a few canisters of Fry's Cocoa as well as some bricks of Baker's Chocolate squares here, though, so it won't affect us that much for quite a while.

Nah, I just expect if more women know about it, interest in global warming will dramatically rise

No doubt about that. lol

SLM
+1

I still think your best shot is the hockey thing. You know how every few years some busybody tries to ban street hockey in their neighbourhood? The result is not quite a lynching but close. Folks do get riled.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I've seen natural outdoor rinks with a roof but no walls but rain means it is too warm to make ice naturally. A refrigeration system that pumps ice cold brine through the ice rink is very expensive. You have to lay the grid of brine piping down and pour a new concrete floor over it. It is not a simple job that you can just add as an afterthought.

Yeah, it would be very expensive, I believe that, but had no idea how expensive it would be.
I was just remembering reading that many original outdoor natural ice rinks, are now not natural
ice, but man made, so just assumed that could be done as the global warming affected the natural
ice rinks.

Guess they will have to resort to doing what we do here, no other choice if things warm up too much.
We have never known any other way, with exception of many years ago, when many of our lower fields,
and some lakes would freeze for periods of the winter, and we skated then, but of course our time period
for doing that was very short, maybe a couple of weeks or so.
Haven't seen that happen in this area for a long time, with exception of some fields freezing for
very short periods of time, lucky if it lasts a week.