Man ticketed for talking on cell phone while driving-

Cannuck
Both the cops and the seniors are wrong on this one.

Incidentally, I was discussing this topic with a co-worker that was at a seminar (on a totally different matter) where he spoke with somebody from the insurance industry. Here in Alberta, accidents involving phones have increased since the distracted driving law came into effect. People used to hold the phone in front of them while they texted whereas now, they do it down by their side so the cops can`t see.

55Mercury
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Both the cops and the seniors are wrong on this one.

Incidentally, I was discussing this topic with a co-worker that was at a seminar (on a totally different matter) where he spoke with somebody from the insurance industry. Here in Alberta, accidents involving phones have increased since the distracted driving law came into effect. People used to hold the phone in front of them while they texted whereas now, they do it down by their side so the cops can`t see.

So the stupid anti-cellphone law has back-fired and made the roads less safe? Sounds about right.

damngrumpy
At least the cops are finally admitting to the quota system for tickets that we knew about
for decades.

critter171
Not sure if i am going to believe him over this.... Not saying he lying but at the same time... i have a hard time beleving this guy does not know how to use a cell phone even my grandparents know how..... using a cell phone is pretty much using a landloard phone or regular phone just without being able to text its no different than that the being able to use anywhere you please

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

At least the cops are finally admitting to the quota system for tickets that we knew about
for decades.

that already been a know a long time ago

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171View Post

Not sure if i am going to believe him over this.... Not saying he lying but at the same time... i have a hard time beleving this guy does not know how to use a cell phone even my grandparents know how..... using a cell phone is pretty much using a landloard phone or regular phone just without being able to text its no different than that the being able to use anywhere you please

that already been a know a long time ago

You must have led a very sheltered life, I know scads of people and some younger than me who have never used them, my wife being one. (She did buy one, but it is up in the closet and was never activated.......LOL)

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

for decades.

I think the purpose of the quota system was to get them out of the doughnut shop and making legitimate arrests.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Perhaps because it's part of their job description?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. ever listen to a scanner on police channels?
Law - The Canadian Encyclopedia (external - login to view)

While I was a firefighter in the Okanagan, one day I was out towards Westbank and waiting for a red light to turn so I could get onto the highway. Directly opposite the highway from me was a ghost car. it approached the intersection and flipped on the lights, went through the red light and paseed me. Guess where it parked ....... Yep, a coffee shop. That is illegal. So is unnecessarily using the radio. I turned in the time and license plate number.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Mar 7th, 2012 at 12:25 AM..

bobnoorduyn
+1

Great idea, Spade, but I'm not sure George Orwell would approve (if he were still here)

Ahhh, like Winston Smith; two gin scented tears trickle down the sides of our noses. But it is all right, everything is all right, the struggle is finished. We have won the victory over ourselves. We all love Big Brother.
Last edited by bobnoorduyn; Mar 7th, 2012 at 05:35 AM..Reason: punctuation

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

If these cops see you glancing down they may believe you're texting

... or getting a BJ?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

... or getting a BJ?

Not unless you have a big smile on your face!

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

... or getting a BJ?

... or packing a bowl?

critter171

You must have led a very sheltered life, I know scads of people and some younger than me who have never used them, my wife being one. (She did buy one, but it is up in the closet and was never activated.......LOL)

I think the purpose of the quota system was to get them out of the doughnut shop and making legitimate arrests.

oh not really read my post i seen plenty of old people use cell phones in there car just the other day... i just have hard time believing this guy telling the truth when he say he has no clue how to use a cell phone and yet he knows how to use a house phone the diffrecne between the two are one... smaller and two one can be used to text other cannot of course cell phones can be used more.... but still

EagleSmack

oh not really read my post i seen plenty of old people use cell phones in there car just the other day... i just have hard time believing this guy telling the truth when he say he has no clue how to use a cell phone and yet he knows how to use a house phone the diffrecne between the two are one... smaller and two one can be used to text other cannot of course cell phones can be used more.... but still

My parents are elderly. My father does not have a cell phone... my mother has one but never uses it.

JLM
It may come as a surprise to some, but many people aren't interested in talking/texting while doing other things. It's a sickness that has reached epidemic proportions.

Spade
A law that is observed in its breach should not be a law. I am not advocating driving while distracted, but passengers are not outlawed. The gods know passengers are a distraction but are encouraged by design. There is no cone of silence over their heads. And children... Don't get me started. And, right-wing radio!

I forgot, large flashing animated billboards. What ever happened to "Post no bills!"?
Last edited by Spade; Mar 7th, 2012 at 10:15 AM..

lone wolf

Odd how the cop passed on the invitation to search....

no new posts