Iceland eyes loonie, Canada ready to talk

Mowich
For 150 years, no country has expressed interest in adopting the Canadian dollar -- the poor cousin to the coveted greenback.

But now tiny Iceland, still reeling from the aftershocks of the devastating collapse of its banks in 2008, is looking longingly to the loonie as the salvation from wild economic gyrations and suffocating capital controls.

And for the first time, the Canadian government says itís open to discussing the idea.

In brief remarks to be delivered Saturday in Reykjavik, Canadian ambassador Alan Bones will tell Icelanders that if they truly want the Canadian dollar, Canada is ready to talk.

More at:

Iceland eyes loonie, Canada ready to talk - The Globe and Mail

Spade
I like Iceland's hidden people. Their hot springs are great, too. Let's go for it!
By the way, the UN ranked Iceland the 14th most developed country in the world; Canada will gain from this!
Last edited by Spade; Mar 2nd, 2012 at 03:16 PM..

mentalfloss
Does this really do anything for us?

Spade
+4
#4  Top Rated Post
Today, Iceland! Tomorrow, the Falklands!

WLDB
Cool.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Cool.

Ic(e)y cool.

Niflmir
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Makes it easy to do business with, and travel to Iceland. Could make other countries want to do the same, that might have other effects.

MHz
Partner with Iceland and NATO against Canada, I love it. Think of all we will own once we thrash them in a single month. Can we wait till spring is over as my tires aren't so good in the mud?

Perhaps Iceland and NFLD can set up a 2M wavelength Tesla ac transmission tower and then set one up in NY (bypassing Quebec this time)

Israel can always start the salt water battery they have been hiding. Even at a held rate she can turn a profit by supplying uninterrupted power of the whole mid-east.

B00Mer
Would they adopt Canadian Currency, or would they do what Belize does.. they buy up US Dollars and pegs their dollar at 50% of the USD.

I think they would just by Canadian dollars and peg their currency at a percentage of ours... NO??

Spade
Well, Burmuda uses the US dollar. It does print its own but it is at par with the American, and American dollars are accepted throughout the colony.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Well, Burmuda uses the US dollar. It does print its own but it is at par with the American, and American dollars are accepted throughout the colony.

Why can't we get a nice tropical place that wants our dollar? I want cheaper flights.

B00Mer

Why can't we get a nice tropical place that wants our dollar? I want cheaper flights.

In 2004 the Canadian province of Nova Scotia gave an invitation to join but Canada's government said they ...

Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

In 2004 the Canadian province of Nova Scotia gave an invitation to join but Canada's government said they ...

Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Thats the island I want! Someplace to go in frickin' February.

Spade
+2
Feb's done 'n gone. But, I'm willing to March south.

bill barilko
+1
OK I've decided-we'll take the sweaters, the fish, the cheese and the flatbreads but we don't want Bjork!!

L Gilbert
Fine by me if that's what Icelanders want.

damngrumpy
Iceland was administered by sane people until the early part of this century, then they adopted
the banking and investment policy so cherished during the W Bush administration, you know,
the one that turned into a mess and caused so much trouble for the Obama Administration.
If they want to use our dollar and treat it with respect I don't have a problem with that.

WLDB

Flights are pretty cheap to go down to the tropics compared to flying within Canada.

Cannuck
I believe we need to do whatever it takes to get closer ties to Iceland. I am willing to go there myself and have relations with some of the inhabitants.

...ummm I mean develop relationships. Was that a Freudian slip?

taxslave

It might if the global warming crowd is correct and the NWP opens up for a good portion of the year.
I would suggest to Iceland to NOT let DFO have any influence on their fisheries though.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I believe we need to do whatever it takes to get closer ties to Iceland. I am willing to go there myself and have relations with some of the inhabitants.

...ummm I mean develop relationships. Was that a Freudian slip?

Freud wears a slip? No wonder he has ISSUES.

MHz
Is it legal to feed schools of fish in the ocean to boost the harvest?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Is it legal to feed schools of fish in the ocean to boost the harvest?

What do you think happens to all the garbage off of ships? They call it recycling.

grumpydigger
Last edited by grumpydigger; Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:30 PM..Reason: screwed up

earth_as_one
The Canadian government and by extension, the Canadian would probably see a net benefit. The more Canadian money held by more people, the more valuable it becomes. That's why the Americans want oil and most world trade in $US. The Canadian government can print money for Iceland and use it to buy Icelandic goods and services just for the cost of printing the money. Over time inflation of the $CDN would act as a tax.

I'm not seeing a down side here...

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

OK I've decided-we'll take the sweaters, the fish, the cheese and the flatbreads but we don't want Bjork!!

I happen to enjoy Bjork. She is nice and quirky, and I like her voice.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

I don't understand why either Iceland, or Canada would want to do this. Would Canada or Iceland benefit from having a common currency?
Actually, I can see a benefit to Iceland since their own currency on the international money market is about as popular as a turd in a punch bowl and by using Canada's dollar it would give them some stability. Is there a negative side to this for Canada?

Vancouverite
They should consider joining Canada as the 11th province.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by VancouveriteView Post

They should consider joining Canada as the 11th province.

Greeaatttt... Just what we need, another jurisdiction that will live off of equalization payments

taxslave
+1
Wea lready have a thread on this.

eh1eh
The housing prices seem to be about on par with here, not Toronto or Vancouver of course, so they can't be all that bad off.
I'd like to see it but they should have to adopt our banking legislation so they don't sully our fair dollar.

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I happen to enjoy Bjork. She is nice and quirky, and I like her voice.

Are you sure about that?

bjrk moon - YouTube