Iceland eyes loonie, Canada ready to talk

Thoughtpolice
Bjork, love her or hate her, is one of the great musican talents of our time.

Speaking of tropical places and Canada, was it not the Turk and Caicos islands in the Caribbean that at one time proposed a joining with Canada?

Machjo
Could Iceland adopt the loonie? - Business - CBC News

While charing a common currency has its advantages in principle, I must admit that I'm weary for Iceland's sake of simply adopting another country's currency. After all, Canada would maintain control over printing and the bank rate. If iceland simply adopts our currency, this would thus give us control over their currency too.

If we were talking about Canada and Iceland adopting a common currency, I'd say yes. But for one country to simply adopt the other's? I'm less enthusiastic about that, but I'll still acknowledge some advantages still.

MHz
Why would Iceland even consider tying itself to the same money system they just broke away from, if anything Canada should be ditching our current system and adopt their currency and save a pile of cash in the process which can be spent on the war that would follow. At least unemployment would be down to 0%.

At least the offer was made, we turn it down we can't bitch when Russia adopts her and finances her so she can export electricity to Russia's shores. Just in time for the mini ice age coming.

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I happen to enjoy Bjork. She is nice and quirky, and I like her voice.

She's either 12 ft tall or the bear is a yearling.

Spade
The hidden people (elves, trolls, and faeries) are much smaller. They live in outcroppings of rocks and in gardens. The hidden folk have their own currency. Always have, always will.

Elves in Iceland The Hidden People - YouTube

MHz
We should turn them down rather than set them up for a return down a road they just got back from. Perhaps the one being offered an opportunity for advancement is to us.

The financial crash in Iceland in 6 minutes according to ABCs 2020 - YouTube

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv9xRmD0Hoa2w

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Could Iceland adopt the loonie? - Business - CBC News

While charing a common currency has its advantages in principle, I must admit that I'm weary for Iceland's sake of simply adopting another country's currency. After all, Canada would maintain control over printing and the bank rate. If iceland simply adopts our currency, this would thus give us control over their currency too.

If we were talking about Canada and Iceland adopting a common currency, I'd say yes. But for one country to simply adopt the other's? I'm less enthusiastic about that, but I'll still acknowledge some advantages still.

Iceland is not proposing to share our currency. The want to use our currency. Our government prints Canadian dollars and then spends it on Icelandic goods and services. Then Icelanders use our $CDN for trade. Basically its a one time transfer of wealth from Iceland to Canada in order to kick start a $CDN based fiscal system in Iceland. Iceland would loose control over their domestic currency and trust us to be fiscally responsible. It a leap of faith on their part, which means they must be desperate.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Wea lready have a thread on this.

Yep, and that's why I merged the two of them.

Vancouverite
Yes, the Turks and Caicos wanted to join Canada, but there are apparently some constitutional issues. Never mind, I'm sure everyone will amend it to make it easier to join Canada - leaving it, however, would be a different matter.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Iceland is not proposing to share our currency. The want to use our currency. Our government prints Canadian dollars and then spends it on Icelandic goods and services. Then Icelanders use our $CDN for trade. Basically its a one time transfer of wealth from Iceland to Canada in order to kick start a $CDN based fiscal system in Iceland. Iceland would loose control over their domestic currency and trust us to be fiscally responsible. It a leap of faith on their part, which means they must be desperate.

Pretty much what I was saying. If we were talking about Iceland and Canada adopting a comon neutral shared currency, both countries would co-administer it. What we're talking about here though is for Iceland to adopt our currency with Canada maintaining more or less full control over it and Iceland having little to none.

Again, I'll acknowledge a benefit to a shared currency in principle, but I'm wary of it for Iceland's sake. of course Canada would benefit without a dobt, but the benefit for Iceland really would be a mixed bag.

Vancouverite
Iceland's PM says the country can either join the EU or unilaterally adopt another currency. (external - login to view) I wouldn't join the EU, so the only option, AFAIK, is adopting the loonie - or, better yet, joining Canada. But I'm a neocon.

MHz
Anybody sorry we didn't join them when we had the chance? lol

Iceland forgives mortgage debt of its population - YouTube