Iceland eyes loonie, Canada ready to talk

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
For 150 years, no country has expressed interest in adopting the Canadian dollar -- the poor cousin to the coveted greenback.

But now tiny Iceland, still reeling from the aftershocks of the devastating collapse of its banks in 2008, is looking longingly to the loonie as the salvation from wild economic gyrations and suffocating capital controls.

And for the first time, the Canadian government says it’s open to discussing the idea.

In brief remarks to be delivered Saturday in Reykjavik, Canadian ambassador Alan Bones will tell Icelanders that if they truly want the Canadian dollar, Canada is ready to talk.

More at:

Iceland eyes loonie, Canada ready to talk - The Globe and Mail

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I like Iceland's hidden people. Their hot springs are great, too. Let's go for it!
By the way, the UN ranked Iceland the 14th most developed country in the world; Canada will gain from this!

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Partner with Iceland and NATO against Canada, I love it. Think of all we will own once we thrash them in a single month. Can we wait till spring is over as my tires aren't so good in the mud?

Perhaps Iceland and NFLD can set up a 2M wavelength Tesla ac transmission tower and then set one up in NY (bypassing Quebec this time)

Israel can always start the salt water battery they have been hiding. Even at a held rate she can turn a profit by supplying uninterrupted power of the whole mid-east.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Would they adopt Canadian Currency, or would they do what Belize does.. they buy up US Dollars and pegs their dollar at 50% of the USD.

I think they would just by Canadian dollars and peg their currency at a percentage of ours... NO??

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Well, Burmuda uses the US dollar. It does print its own but it is at par with the American, and American dollars are accepted throughout the colony.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well, Burmuda uses the US dollar. It does print its own but it is at par with the American, and American dollars are accepted throughout the colony.

Why can't we get a nice tropical place that wants our dollar? I want cheaper flights.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
OK I've decided-we'll take the sweaters, the fish, the cheese and the flatbreads but we don't want Bjork!!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Iceland was administered by sane people until the early part of this century, then they adopted
the banking and investment policy so cherished during the W Bush administration, you know,
the one that turned into a mess and caused so much trouble for the Obama Administration.
If they want to use our dollar and treat it with respect I don't have a problem with that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I believe we need to do whatever it takes to get closer ties to Iceland. I am willing to go there myself and have relations with some of the inhabitants.

...ummm I mean develop relationships. Was that a Freudian slip?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Does this really do anything for us?

It might if the global warming crowd is correct and the NWP opens up for a good portion of the year.
I would suggest to Iceland to NOT let DFO have any influence on their fisheries though.

I believe we need to do whatever it takes to get closer ties to Iceland. I am willing to go there myself and have relations with some of the inhabitants.

...ummm I mean develop relationships. Was that a Freudian slip?

Freud wears a slip? No wonder he has ISSUES.