CBC faces 10% cut in austerity budget

Locutus
Far from tempering spending cuts to ease the sting of recent political setbacks, the Conservative government intends to double down on fiscal austerity in the March 29 budget, cutting departmental spending across the board by closer to 10% than 5% and slashing the total operating budget by close to $8-billion, including a cut of at least 10% to the CBC.

The goal is to get the books back in balance a year earlier than previously planned, by fiscal 2014-15 — thus allowing the Conservatives to go into an election in the fall of 2015 with a balanced budget as the centrepiece of their campaign.

Until now the government has maintained it would cut between 5% and 10% across federal departments, with a goal of reducing spending by $4-billion out of a total operations budget of about $80-billion.

The CBC, which has an annual budget of $1.1-billion, faces a cut of at least $110-million and possibly more. Some Conservatives are pushing for even deeper cuts to the national broadcaster, based on the argument that, though the radio news service is clearly a must-have in the Far North and more generally in rural areas, CBC television is not as essential. On the immediate chopping block is a $60-million programming “top-up” that the broadcaster has received annually since 2001.

more

2012 Federal budget: CBC faces 10% cut as Tories double down on fiscal austerity | Full Comment | National Post

mentalfloss
+1
Is 10% a lot?

By the way, I think you would find that most Canadians think CBC is essential (at least for it's news). The homegrown Canadian TV shows, maybe not so much.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

The CBC, which has an annual budget of $1.1-billion, faces a cut of at least $110-million and possibly more. Some Conservatives are pushing for even deeper cuts to the national broadcaster, based on the argument that, though the radio news service is clearly a must-have in the Far North and more generally in rural areas, CBC television is not as essential. On the immediate chopping block is a $60-million programming “top-up” that the broadcaster has received annually since 2001.

Nice start... I don't see why the Ministry of Truth needs a billion dollars in the first place.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Nice start... I don't see why the Ministry of Truth needs a billion dollars in the first place.

I don't think that's fair. CBC is pretty good and filtering through a lot of nonsense. You should check out Power and Politics with Evan Solomon. He's on the ball and gets to the meat of the discussion - much to the ire of all politicians, lol

captain morgan
Some of their programming is excellent and some is awful, or worse, promoting a political bent.

Get up extra early one of these days and tune in your local AM -dial CBC, they have a feed from the BBC on... THAT is how a publicly funded broadcaster should operate.

mentalfloss

Some of their programming is excellent and some is awful, or worse, promoting a political bent.

No way!

I'm surprised you would even suggest that, they're normally very skeptical and investigative.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Is 10% a lot?

By the way, I think you would find that most Canadians think CBC is essential (at least for it's news). The homegrown Canadian TV shows, maybe not so much.

They should keep the news and Mercer and run HNIC 6 nights a week. Its their only profitable show.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

They should keep the news and Mercer and run HNIC 6 nights a week. Its their only profitable show.

They used to make good money on CFL too but now Toronto Sports Network airs the games but TSN sucks raw moose dick when it comes to CFL coverage.

mentalfloss
+1

I don't need to be reminded that more people watch HNIC than the news.

petros
HNIC is now broadcast in Punjabi. Where can I watch news in Punjabi?

captain morgan

No way!

I'm surprised you would even suggest that, they're normally very skeptical and investigative.

I would appreciate if you italicized or used purple for sarcastic comments... It'd eliminate any confusion

petros

Hockey Night In Canada Punjabi Edition - Lee Stempniak Goal - Saturday October 3rd 2009 HD - YouTube

mentalfloss

I would appreciate if you italicized or used purple for sarcastic comments... It'd eliminate any confusion

I was being completely serious. Just last night, they were tearing up both Del Mastro (PC) and Cullen (NDP). They're a good outfit that we should cherish right now.

captain morgan

I was being completely serious. Just last night, they were tearing up both Del Mastro (PC) and Cullen (NDP). They're a good outfit that we should cherish right now.

I like a number of CBC programs and there are those that are considered dedicated 'opinion programs' with which I also have no issues.

But when shows like The Current or The National which have the most prominent drive times take sides, I have a problem. Ultimately, they ought to be entirely objective.... That said, my personal and subjective opinion (yes, I do see the irony here) is that they are not.

The CBC has (in my view) played an active role in the federal elections in the past and more often than not, maintained a Liberal bent... Interestingly, I also strongly believe that the CBC was responsible for Harper getting his first minority gvt as the coverage of the libs (at the time) turned negative at the end of the campaign.

That said, my diatribe here isn't about 'which' party that they back (or have in the past), it's about backing any party at all.

mentalfloss

The CBC has (in my view) played an active role in the federal elections in the past and more often than not, maintained a Liberal bent...

Lol, I don't think CBC has a Liberal/NDP bent, so much as those points of view are typically more credible than their Conservative counterparts.

Typically.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

HNIC is now broadcast in Punjabi. Where can I watch news in Punjabi?

Shaw cable. Also Mandrin

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#17  Top Rated Post

Lol, I don't think CBC has a Liberal/NDP bent, so much as those points of view are typically more credible than their Conservative counterparts.

Typically.

If you share a bias, it tends to make one not see it. Thats also the same reason why some people claim FOX News is unbiased.

mentalfloss

If you share a bias, it tends to make one not see it. Thats also the same reason why some people claim FOX News is unbiased.

Right, but that doesn't dispute the fact that CBC has a good reputation for journalism. They're skeptical and investigative to a degree that is mostly non-partisan. Like I said, they grill all sides on items that are logically fallacious.

captain morgan
+1
Did you understand what IdRatherBeSkiing said?

mentalfloss

Did you understand what IdRatherBeSkiing said?

Do you understand what a logical fallacy is?

I said that CBC is generally good at revealing logical fallacies and that service is worth it.

captain morgan
Logical fallacy depending on your perspective.

mentalfloss

Logical fallacy depending on your perspective.

lol

No, it doesn't.

You could actually count up the number of identified fallacies based on the claims made of each party; which news reporter was able to pry out the most and you could have a pretty good indication of which media outlet was doing the better job.

petros
I like CBC News because it doesn't have any celebrity **** or car chases.