Students to walk out in support of teachers


skookumchuck
#1
BCTF | CTV Vancouver Island

I am sick of hearing adults garnering the opinions of ignorant children, ignorant as in no long term world experience.
The media is ridiculous for their penchant to interview children regarding societal issues.

I and virtually all of the people i grew up with were told to keep our little noses out of adult issues until we had lived some. Oddly it seemed to work as the majority of those i knew, grew up, worked, got married, bought a home and raised kids. All that without being allowed to attempt to change the system before we knew how it worked and before our brains had real world information as opposed to a teacher's or professor's utopian assessment.
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
SLM
+6
#2  Top Rated Post
Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.
 
skookumchuck
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.


Great idea! Let's start with using a first year law student's advice on a critical court case. Would you seek the advice of a pre med student when you are worried about a serious symptom. Followed by a first year engineering student designing a bridge. How about promoting a mouthy whistle punk to faller or a know it all new roughneck to driller? Hell, these are more advanced than high school kids so.....
Of course kids control nothing, can't vote? D'oh!
Peace, security, well being, love, and STFU! and learn.
 
SLM
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Great idea! Let's start with using a first year law student's advice on a critical court case. Would you seek the advice of a pre med student when you are worried about a serious symptom. Followed by a first year engineering student designing a bridge. How about promoting a mouthy whistle punk to faller or a know it all new roughneck to driller? Hell, these are more advanced than high school kids so.....
Of course kids control nothing, can't vote? D'oh!
Peace, security, well being, love, and STFU! and learn.

Well obviously! That's exactly what I was saying, let's grab first year law students and put them to work arguing cases, or stick a med-student into an operating room.

If you don't like what someone is saying, then don't listen. Just because someone is young does not mean they're stupid.

And btw, just who exactly are you telling to STFU?
 
WLDB
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Great idea! Let's start with using a first year law student's advice on a critical court case. Would you seek the advice of a pre med student when you are worried about a serious symptom. Followed by a first year engineering student designing a bridge. How about promoting a mouthy whistle punk to faller or a know it all new roughneck to driller? Hell, these are more advanced than high school kids so.....
Of course kids control nothing, can't vote? D'oh!
Peace, security, well being, love, and STFU! and learn.

None of those examples are valid in this argument. You do not need any qualifications or experience to have an opinion on anything which is what these kids are doing, expressing an opinion. Its actually nice to see students supporting teachers. Usually they cant stand teachers or school in general.
 
skookumchuck
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well obviously! That's exactly what I was saying, let's grab first year law students and put them to work arguing cases, or stick a med-student into an operating room.

If you don't like what someone is saying, then don't listen. Just because someone is young does not mean they're stupid.

And btw, just who exactly are you telling to STFU?

Telling the kids
I already said "ignorant", no reference to stupid, that would be stupid.

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

None of those examples are valid in this argument. You do not need any qualifications or experience to have an opinion on anything which is what these kids are doing, expressing an opinion. Its actually nice to see students supporting teachers. Usually they cant stand teachers or school in general.

Not valid? Allowing them input into issues of which they cannot possibly have created any unbiased opinions such as tax paying, fiscal reality, machinations of both sides, end results, et al. I did specify that children are naturally ignorant of these things and merely parrot the various opinons they have heard. Oops, mea culpa, many adults do that by watching and believing the talking heads on the CBC.
 
WLDB
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post




Not valid? Allowing them input into issues of which they cannot possibly have created any unbiased opinions such as tax paying, fiscal reality, machinations of both sides, end results, et al. I did specify that children are naturally ignorant of these things and merely parrot the various opinons they have heard. Oops, mea culpa, many adults do that by watching and believing the talking heads on the CBC.

This isn't really giving them input. They give an opinion that will have absolutely no weight in resolving the strike one way or the other. Remember, it was adults who asked them, the kids didnt force the reporters to put them on tv.

And yes, when it comes to parroting ideas from tv, many adults do it too and not just from the CBC but from various outlets.

Its been my experience that age does not really indicate a person's maturity.
 
SLM
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Telling the kids
I already said "ignorant", no reference to stupid, that would be stupid.



Not valid? Allowing them input into issues of which they cannot possibly have created any unbiased opinions such as tax paying, fiscal reality, machinations of both sides, end results, et al. I did specify that children are naturally ignorant of these things and merely parrot the various opinons they have heard. Oops, mea culpa, many adults do that by watching and believing the talking heads on the CBC.

You have a really low opinion of youth don't you?


Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Its been my experience that age does not really indicate a person's maturity.

Nor does it indicate intelligence.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#9
Anyone think of the kids? Some actually want to get through their schooling. Striking teachers is not condusive to that idea. I think the kids should have a say because this affects them.
 
captain morgan
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Anyone think of the kids? Some actually want to get through their schooling. Striking teachers is not condusive to that idea. I think the kids should have a say because this affects them.


I heard a bit on the radio last weekend regarding the demands of the teachers, they sounded unrealistic to me. That said, these students would be wise to get involved and really understand the big picture, afterall, these decisions will set a precedent and once those students graduate, they'll be the ones on the hook for the costs
 
L Gilbert
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I heard a bit on the radio last weekend regarding the demands of the teachers, they sounded unrealistic to me. That said, these students would be wise to get involved and really understand the big picture, afterall, these decisions will set a precedent and once those students graduate, they'll be the ones on the hook for the costs

Yep. They have to learn about life sometime. This sort of stuff affects them, so they have an interest.
Teachers always want want want. Nothing new there.
 
captain morgan
#12
Agreed... I can only hope that the students take an informed position on this as it affects many things, unfortunately, the skeptic in me thinks that the student body may be expressing decisions based on ulterior motives.
 
WLDB
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yep. They have to learn about life sometime. This sort of stuff affects them, so they have an interest.
Teachers always want want want. Nothing new there.

Understandable though. Even with all the time off they get I dont think I could handle 20-30 kids 6 hours a day and remain sane. Particularly hormonal teenagers.
 
SLM
#14
I'd love to agree with both you guys but all that reasonable and rational language just flies in the face of the whole "children should be seen and not heard" theme I think the OP is going for. They're ignorant don't you know?
 
captain morgan
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'd love to agree with both you guys but all that reasonable and rational language just flies in the face of the whole "children should be seen and not heard" theme I think the OP is going for. They're ignorant don't you know?


Ya see, I was the exception to that rule. When I was a kid, I knew it all... So many problems back in the day could have been avoided had they just consulted with me at the time.
 
SLM
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Ya see, I was the exception to that rule. When I was a kid, I knew it all... So many problems back in the day could have been avoided had they just consulted with me at the time.

My God! We must be twins! Me too, lol.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Agreed... I can only hope that the students take an informed position on this as it affects many things, unfortunately, the skeptic in me thinks that the student body may be expressing decisions based on ulterior motives.

Certainly not basing them on emotions, like adults do, right? lol

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Understandable though. Even with all the time off they get I dont think I could handle 20-30 kids 6 hours a day and remain sane. Particularly hormonal teenagers.

Well, we each have our talents. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'd love to agree with both you guys but all that reasonable and rational language just flies in the face of the whole "children should be seen and not heard" theme I think the OP is going for. They're ignorant don't you know?

Yep. That's why they should do as we say and not as we do.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Ya see, I was the exception to that rule. When I was a kid, I knew it all... So many problems back in the day could have been avoided had they just consulted with me at the time.

You, too, huh?
 
Goober
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I heard a bit on the radio last weekend regarding the demands of the teachers, they sounded unrealistic to me. That said, these students would be wise to get involved and really understand the big picture, afterall, these decisions will set a precedent and once those students graduate, they'll be the ones on the hook for the costs

So lets have all the students start a part time job, pay 40 % in tax to be directed to supporting the teachers.
 
L Gilbert
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

So lets have all the students start a part time job, pay 40 % in tax to be directed to supporting the teachers.

Uhuh The student unemployment rate is 14.5%. I'm sure lots would love to have a job.
 
Goober
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Uhuh The student unemployment rate is 14.5%. I'm sure lots would love to have a job.

What is it in BC?
 
L Gilbert
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

What is it in BC?

Not sure what it is right now but it was pretty dismal last summer: Student summer unemployment by the numbers
 
Bar Sinister
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

BCTF | CTV Vancouver Island

I am sick of hearing adults garnering the opinions of ignorant children, ignorant as in no long term world experience.
The media is ridiculous for their penchant to interview children regarding societal issues.

I and virtually all of the people i grew up with were told to keep our little noses out of adult issues until we had lived some. Oddly it seemed to work as the majority of those i knew, grew up, worked, got married, bought a home and raised kids. All that without being allowed to attempt to change the system before we knew how it worked and before our brains had real world information as opposed to a teacher's or professor's utopian assessment.


Their views might not be as ignorant as you think. The Daily Show sent out Samantha Bee to interview 13-year-olds regarding Rick Santorum's educational ideas. In case you missed it he referred to Obama as a "snob" for giving speech in which Obama exhorted young Americans to get some higher education. This is the exact quote. "President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college, what a snob. There are good, decent men and women who work hard every day and put their skills to the test that arenít taught by some liberal college professor. And trying to indoctrinate them.Ē

In fact Obama's speech did not focus on a liberal college education. He listed a number of institutions higher education, including communty colleges, technical schools, and universities. When the 13-year-olds were given the contents of Santorum's speech without identifying the speaker one of them commented that "...only a fool would say something like that." She pretty much got it dead on.
 
WLDB
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

So lets have all the students start a part time job, pay 40 % in tax to be directed to supporting the teachers.

They'll wind up doing it within a few years if they're lucky.
 
Spade
+2
#24
Schools are prisons. The minimum sentence is 12 years, although a few are paroled for bad behaviour.
 
Cliffy
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Schools are prisons. The minimum sentence is 12 years, although a few are paroled for bad behaviour.

It takes at least 12 years to produce the right pliable and controllable sheeple necessary to run the machines for the ruling class. They are educated just enough to make sure they can run the machines efficiently but not enough for them to think they can move beyond their station in life. Fortunately for the parolees, they escape some of the indoctrination and do not know they are not supposed to challenge the status quo. Many, if not most, new millionaires were drop outs.
 
damngrumpy
#26
I don't know I find most young people I talk to, to be very informed about the world around them.
The kids are not supporting business because they see what is happening. The gas companies
are gouging, its not profit based on cost, its profits based on speculation. Most of these kids buy
gas for their cars and they know what is going on.
The same goes for other issues. These young people are becoming more aware and more and
more active, some the fat old couch potato's are not doing. I am glad they walked out in support.
I don't think we should be giving the teachers everything they want but remember when that
scuzzbucket, Gordon Campbell, tore up contracts and showed disregard for the law of the land?
Their disgraceful actions are coming back to haunt them.
The present government got themselves into the trouble they are in because they were arrogant,
and very untrustworthy. They gave the richest people 2 billion in tax breaks. they secretly made
a deal with the Feds to bring in the HST and people rejected it. The actual ran up a huge deficit
they were trying to hide and now it is fully exposed. All their departments are over budget and
now there is no money for education. Nope I don't think the teachers will get anymore in the long
run, but the public is catching on to just how dishonest they are.
The young people fed up with this government that gives nothing but fee increases and lies to
people saying they are keeping taxes down. Fees instead of taxes are in fact taxes by another
name. As a citizen of BC I for one am fed up, I won't vote for the Greens, or the Social Conservatives,
BC Conservative Party and I won't vote for the Present Liberals. That leaves the NDP.
This government is making a stand here on education to divide people and they will instead unite
people against them.
 
PoliticalNick
#27
Let's face it. The kids don't really care about the teacher's salaries. All they see is a way to take time off class with the faculty's blessing. There may be a couple of seniors who want to become teachers who have a thought or 2 for their future but to the rest it is free time out of school.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well obviously! That's exactly what I was saying, let's grab first year law students and put them to work arguing cases, or stick a med-student into an operating room.



I like this format for replying to red herring rebuttals.

Impressive.
 
Goober
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

They'll wind up doing it within a few years if they're lucky.

Ont has a surplus of teachers - top wage - 90 K - what is the rate in BC - The Govt had a no cost mandate. Other unions signed on. But teachers are special.
Last edited by Goober; Mar 2nd, 2012 at 02:21 PM..
 
Spade
+1
#30
Tachers are special. We were too poor to have tachers; we tached ourselfs.
 

Similar Threads

5
Getting Parents and Teachers to Talk
by sanctus | Dec 7th, 2006
0
Teachers call it like it is:
by Zan | May 17th, 2006
45
BC Teachers
by bevvyd | Oct 24th, 2005
no new posts