Students to walk out in support of teachers

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
BCTF | CTV Vancouver Island

I am sick of hearing adults garnering the opinions of ignorant children, ignorant as in no long term world experience.
The media is ridiculous for their penchant to interview children regarding societal issues.

I and virtually all of the people i grew up with were told to keep our little noses out of adult issues until we had lived some. Oddly it seemed to work as the majority of those i knew, grew up, worked, got married, bought a home and raised kids. All that without being allowed to attempt to change the system before we knew how it worked and before our brains had real world information as opposed to a teacher's or professor's utopian assessment.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.

Great idea! Let's start with using a first year law student's advice on a critical court case. Would you seek the advice of a pre med student when you are worried about a serious symptom. Followed by a first year engineering student designing a bridge. How about promoting a mouthy whistle punk to faller or a know it all new roughneck to driller? Hell, these are more advanced than high school kids so.....
Of course kids control nothing, can't vote? D'oh!
Peace, security, well being, love, and STFU! and learn.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Great idea! Let's start with using a first year law student's advice on a critical court case. Would you seek the advice of a pre med student when you are worried about a serious symptom. Followed by a first year engineering student designing a bridge. How about promoting a mouthy whistle punk to faller or a know it all new roughneck to driller? Hell, these are more advanced than high school kids so.....

Well obviously! That's exactly what I was saying, let's grab first year law students and put them to work arguing cases, or stick a med-student into an operating room.

If you don't like what someone is saying, then don't listen. Just because someone is young does not mean they're stupid.

And btw, just who exactly are you telling to STFU?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

None of those examples are valid in this argument. You do not need any qualifications or experience to have an opinion on anything which is what these kids are doing, expressing an opinion. Its actually nice to see students supporting teachers. Usually they cant stand teachers or school in general.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Well obviously! That's exactly what I was saying, let's grab first year law students and put them to work arguing cases, or stick a med-student into an operating room.

If you don't like what someone is saying, then don't listen. Just because someone is young does not mean they're stupid.

And btw, just who exactly are you telling to STFU?

Telling the kids:lol:
I already said "ignorant", no reference to stupid, that would be stupid.

None of those examples are valid in this argument. You do not need any qualifications or experience to have an opinion on anything which is what these kids are doing, expressing an opinion. Its actually nice to see students supporting teachers. Usually they cant stand teachers or school in general.

Not valid? Allowing them input into issues of which they cannot possibly have created any unbiased opinions such as tax paying, fiscal reality, machinations of both sides, end results, et al. I did specify that children are naturally ignorant of these things and merely parrot the various opinons they have heard. Oops, mea culpa, many adults do that by watching and believing the talking heads on the CBC.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not valid? Allowing them input into issues of which they cannot possibly have created any unbiased opinions such as tax paying, fiscal reality, machinations of both sides, end results, et al. I did specify that children are naturally ignorant of these things and merely parrot the various opinons they have heard. Oops, mea culpa, many adults do that by watching and believing the talking heads on the CBC.

This isn't really giving them input. They give an opinion that will have absolutely no weight in resolving the strike one way or the other. Remember, it was adults who asked them, the kids didnt force the reporters to put them on tv.

And yes, when it comes to parroting ideas from tv, many adults do it too and not just from the CBC but from various outlets.

Its been my experience that age does not really indicate a person's maturity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Telling the kids:lol:
I already said "ignorant", no reference to stupid, that would be stupid.

You have a really low opinion of youth don't you?

Its been my experience that age does not really indicate a person's maturity.

Nor does it indicate intelligence.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Anyone think of the kids? Some actually want to get through their schooling. Striking teachers is not condusive to that idea. I think the kids should have a say because this affects them.

I heard a bit on the radio last weekend regarding the demands of the teachers, they sounded unrealistic to me. That said, these students would be wise to get involved and really understand the big picture, afterall, these decisions will set a precedent and once those students graduate, they'll be the ones on the hook for the costs

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I heard a bit on the radio last weekend regarding the demands of the teachers, they sounded unrealistic to me. That said, these students would be wise to get involved and really understand the big picture, afterall, these decisions will set a precedent and once those students graduate, they'll be the ones on the hook for the costs
Yep. They have to learn about life sometime. This sort of stuff affects them, so they have an interest.
Teachers always want want want. Nothing new there.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Agreed... I can only hope that the students take an informed position on this as it affects many things, unfortunately, the skeptic in me thinks that the student body may be expressing decisions based on ulterior motives.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep. They have to learn about life sometime. This sort of stuff affects them, so they have an interest.
Teachers always want want want. Nothing new there.

Understandable though. Even with all the time off they get I dont think I could handle 20-30 kids 6 hours a day and remain sane. Particularly hormonal teenagers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'd love to agree with both you guys but all that reasonable and rational language just flies in the face of the whole "children should be seen and not heard" theme I think the OP is going for. They're ignorant don't you know? ;)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I'd love to agree with both you guys but all that reasonable and rational language just flies in the face of the whole "children should be seen and not heard" theme I think the OP is going for. They're ignorant don't you know? ;)

Ya see, I was the exception to that rule. When I was a kid, I knew it all... So many problems back in the day could have been avoided had they just consulted with me at the time.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Agreed... I can only hope that the students take an informed position on this as it affects many things, unfortunately, the skeptic in me thinks that the student body may be expressing decisions based on ulterior motives.
Certainly not basing them on emotions, like adults do, right? lol

Understandable though. Even with all the time off they get I dont think I could handle 20-30 kids 6 hours a day and remain sane. Particularly hormonal teenagers.
Well, we each have our talents. lol

Yep. That's why they should do as we say and not as we do. ;)

Ya see, I was the exception to that rule. When I was a kid, I knew it all... So many problems back in the day could have been avoided had they just consulted with me at the time.
You, too, huh?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

So lets have all the students start a part time job, pay 40 % in tax to be directed to supporting the teachers.