Students to walk out in support of teachers

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Let's face it. The kids don't really care about the teacher's salaries. All they see is a way to take time off class with the faculty's blessing. There may be a couple of seniors who want to become teachers who have a thought or 2 for their future but to the rest it is free time out of school.

They'd be out of school anyway.... teachers on strike means no class. To try to show that they support the teachers too actually has the potential to shorten the strike. So it kind of blows your jaded theory out of the water.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Tachers are special. We were too poor to have tachers; we tached ourselfs.

Yes they are. My old CPU does not have that correction format - so doing what I was taught. I then fixed the problem.

Wonder how the Teachers would react if they brought in what they did in New Jersey - Standards for Teachers to meet.

Spade
+2
The salary cap of the Vancouver Canucks is $64 931 508.00. According to the BC Public School Employers' Association, the average maximum teacher salary (2011) was $76 585.00. The Vancouver Canucks' salary cap could fund approximately 848 BC teachers at maximum for one year. At a pupil-teacher ratio of 20 to 1, that's the teacher cost for 16 960 students.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Wonder how the Teachers would react if they brought in what they did in New Jersey - Standards for Teachers to meet.

Every province has minimum teacher qualification standards, and every teacher is subject to annual performance reviews.

Goober

The salary cap of the Vancouver Canucks is $64 931 508.00. According to the BC Public School Employers' Association, the average maximum teacher salary (2011) was $76 585.00. The Vancouver Canucks' salary cap could fund approximately 848 BC teachers at maximum for one year. At a pupil-teacher ratio of 20 to 1, that's the teacher cost for 16 960 students.

Every province has minimum teacher qualification standards, and every teacher is subject to annual performance reviews.

Prety hard to fire a teacher anywhere in Canada.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

BCTF | CTV Vancouver Island (external - login to view)

I am sick of hearing adults garnering the opinions of ignorant children, ignorant as in no long term world experience.
The media is ridiculous for their penchant to interview children regarding societal issues.

I and virtually all of the people i grew up with were told to keep our little noses out of adult issues until we had lived some. Oddly it seemed to work as the majority of those i knew, grew up, worked, got married, bought a home and raised kids. All that without being allowed to attempt to change the system before we knew how it worked and before our brains had real world information as opposed to a teacher's or professor's utopian assessment.

Yep, it's just perpetuating another generation of whiners!

pgs

The salary cap of the Vancouver Canucks is $64 931 508.00. According to the BC Public School Employers' Association, the average maximum teacher salary (2011) was $76 585.00. The Vancouver Canucks' salary cap could fund approximately 848 BC teachers at maximum for one year. At a pupil-teacher ratio of 20 to 1, that's the teacher cost for 16 960 students. also.

So,they make pear apples in the Okanagan also.

JLM
We know all professional sports are obscenely over paid, but I don't think we want to extend the corruption to other professions!

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

So,they make pear apples in the Okanagan also.

Jeeps, wonder what they'd think of next! Impaired apples, who'd've thunk it!?

Goober
+2

Guess those teachers should have learned to play at the NHL level.

taxslave
+3

Jeeps, wonder what they'd think of next! Impaired apples, who'd've thunk it!?

Those are the apples the students leave on the teacher's desk every day.

I am sick of hearing adults garnering the opinions of ignorant children, ignorant as in no long term world experience.
The media is ridiculous for their penchant to interview children regarding societal issues.

I and virtually all of the people i grew up with were told to keep our little noses out of adult issues until we had lived some. Oddly it seemed to work as the majority of those i knew, grew up, worked, got married, bought a home and raised kids. All that without being allowed to attempt to change the system before we knew how it worked and before our brains had real world information as opposed to a teacher's or professor's utopian assessment.

Don't blame the kids. They have been conditioned by their teachers to be perfect little clones.

JLM

There is something radically wrong with this whole picture and as far as I'm concerned it sure sheds a poor light on teachers. Teachers are the adults, the ones supposedly in charge and the students are the subordinates and should in no way be involved in teachers' terms of employment. Teachers are supposed to mentor students not be buddy - buddy with them. We're going to Hell in handcart.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

We know all professional sports are obscenely over paid, but I don't think we want to extend the corruption to other professions!

We already have. Haven't you noticed the inflated salaries of many performers in the entertainment business? Jay Leno doesn't own over 300 automobiles because he is underpaid. And then there are the currency manipulators, and others of their ilk in the financial sector. These people make fortunes without contributing a single thing to society. And of course, there are corporate salaries which seem in no way tied to company performance.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

We already have. Haven't you noticed the inflated salaries of many performers in the entertainment business? Jay Leno doesn't own over 300 automobiles because he is underpaid. And then there are the currency manipulators, and others of their ilk in the financial sector. These people make fortunes without contributing a single thing to society. And of course, there are corporate salaries which seem in no way tied to company performance.

You're quite right. Let's not extend it any further!

WLDB

You're quite right. Let's not extend it any further!

Unfortunate that there isnt really any way to reverse it.

Cliffy
This argument is unfreakin' believable. No wonder kids are coming out of school illiterate. Bashing teachers, who are underpaid compared to other professionals, is really like saying entertainers are more important than your children's education. There are serious flaws in our education system but if we continue to underfund and undervalue education, who do you think is to blame for raising stupid kids who can string two words together without interjecting "like, wow, ya know, eh". No wonder kids have no respect for adults, they have no respect for our children.
Mind freakin' boggling!

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yep. They have to learn about life sometime. This sort of stuff affects them, so they have an interest.
Teachers always want want want. Nothing new there.

I wonder if the state of schooling would be better if the ability to strike were removed from the equation?

critter171
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.

this is wrong if you adults listen to teenager more you be more surprise to here how smart they are. In fact most adults are ingorant selfish and only care for themselves... As myself being young adult knowing how many you likey called me a "child" still which i don't want to be called that. i am 25 years old. Kids are smarter than adults give credit. Adults think they know more cause they have more "expreince" that not always going to be the case

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Ignorant as compared to some adults who lock themselves into one world view and wear blinders?

Kids don't actually get enough of a say, they control nothing, can't vote. So let them be heard once in a while. Occasionally they may actually have some good things to say. If only we could get some hard headed adults to learn to listen once in a while, things might actually stand a chance of improving.

When I was a kid growing up, there was one expression I heard a lot............." he who pays the fiddler calls the tune", which upon thinking about it at the time seemed pretty reasonable.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171View Post

this is wrong if you adults listen to teenager more you be more surprise to here how smart they are. In fact most adults are ingorant selfish and only care for themselves... As myself being young adult knowing how many you likey called me a "child" still which i don't want to be called that. i am 25 years old. Kids are smarter than adults give credit. Adults think they know more cause they have more "expreince" that not always going to be the case

Alright. Not sure if you're arguing against what I said or not. Wouldn't make sense if that's what you are doing seeing as how I said pretty much the same thing as you just did, lol

When I was a kid growing up, there was one expression I heard a lot............." he who pays the fiddler calls the tune", which upon thinking about it at the time seemed pretty reasonable.

What does listening to anyone's thoughts on something cost? Nothing. Potential gains could be a different idea about how to solve a problem or at the very least a different perspective. Seeing as how we "adults" seem to keep having the same problems over and over again, that doesn't seem like a horrible thing to me, lol.

Giving someone an opportunity, young or old, to have their thoughts and opinions heard is not the same thing as handing over the reins and letting them run the show.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I wonder if the state of schooling would be better if the ability to strike were removed from the equation?

I doubt it would make much difference. It isn't the teachers, IMO. It's the educational system and perhaps the attention gov't gives it, I think, that gives the grief with education.
I can't blame teachers for wanting equity in salaries in comparison to those in other provinces, I can't blame parents for grumbling about the quality of education that teachers give, and I can't blame the gov't for wanting to give a basic level of education for a decent cost, but I can blame factors from each of these angles. And the losers aren't specifically parents, gov't, or teachers. In fact the direct losers are the kids with the parents, teachers, and gov't (society in general) that are indirect losers. That makes it everyone's problem. So, society in general is the root cause. It's sick and no-one seems to particularly want to spend time coming up with reasonable and long-term repairs.

JLM

I doubt it would make much difference. It isn't the teachers, IMO. It's the educational system and perhaps the attention gov't gives it, I think, that gives the grief with education.
I can't blame teachers for wanting equity in salaries in comparison to those in other provinces, I can't blame parents for grumbling about the quality of education that teachers give, and I can't blame the gov't for wanting to give a basic level of education for a decent cost, but I can blame factors from each of these angles. And the losers aren't specifically parents, gov't, or teachers. In fact the direct losers are the kids with the parents, teachers, and gov't (society in general) that are indirect losers. That makes it everyone's problem. So, society in general is the root cause. It's sick and no-one seems to particularly want to spend time coming up with reasonable and long-term repairs.

One of the biggest problems with the present generation is they seem to think they can solve every problem with money, the very thing that is in fact the problem! Isn't anyone resourceful any more?

L Gilbert

One of the biggest problems with the present generation is they seem to think they can solve every problem with money, the very thing that is in fact the problem!

The present generation? It's farther-reaching than that.
Quote:

Isn't anyone resourceful any more?

Not in my opinion, which is about what I said in my last sentence. Or at least, no-one seems to want to be resourceful enough, for whatever reason.

JLM

The present generation? It's farther-reaching than that. Not in my opinion, which is about what I said in my last sentence. Or at least, no-one seems to want to be resourceful enough, for whatever reason.

Good - you and I are on the same page.

dumpthemonarchy
The teachers union is dysfunctional, it ought to be disbanded and treat teachers like doctors where settlements can be imposed.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

They'd be out of school anyway.... teachers on strike means no class. To try to show that they support the teachers too actually has the potential to shorten the strike. So it kind of blows your jaded theory out of the water.

He's right. The student walkout was before the teachers strike. When we had a walkout, oh so many years ago, in Junior High ( you weren't born yet) the vast majority that walked out did so, so they didn't have to attend class. Period. No other lofty goals.

skookumchuck
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171View Post

Is English your native language? If it is i suggest you rethink your assertion that you are "smart". If not i apologize but urge you to study grammar.
Quite a revelation to me that "most" adults are self centered.(sarcasm in case you missed it). Children are not? BTW, being at least to a degree self centered is the only way to get through this world. There are more variations of self centered than you appear to know about.