Time to embrace Keystone pipeline: Clinton


B00Mer
#1



Suddenly the Keystone XL pipeline is all the talk of U.S. politics - again.

A day after Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said Americans "de-serve" the Canadian oil that Keystone would deliver, former U.S. president Bill Clinton said it was time for the U.S. to "embrace" the long-delayed project.

Clinton, speaking at an energy conference in Maryland, said he believes the pipeline should be approved on a new route that avoids the ecologically fragile Sand Hills region of Nebraska.

He suggested Calgary-based TransCanada Corp. botched its initial application by pro-posing an original route that cut directly through the Sand Hills and the vast Ogallala aquifer.

"One of the most amazing things to me about this Keystone pipeline deal is that they ever filed that route in the first place since they could've gone around the Nebraska Sand Hills and avoided most of the dangers, no matter how imagined, to the Ogallala with a different route," Clinton said in re-marks reported by Politico and Bloomberg.

"The extra cost of running (the pipeline around the Sand Hills) is infinitesimal compared to the revenue that will be generated over a long period of time," Clinton added.

"So, I think we should embrace it and develop a stakeholder-driven system of high standards for doing the work."

Clinton's remarks are certain to cause a stir among U.S. environmentalists who remain steadfastly opposed to the pipeline, which would carry 830,000 barrels of oil per day from Hardisty to the U.S. Gulf Coast.

TransCanada said this week it will reapply in the near future for a presidential permit - after being denied one this year - with an alternative route that avoids the Nebraska Sand Hills.

The decision on whether to recommend approval or rejection of the permit falls to the U.S. Department of State, under the direction of Hillary Clinton, wife of the former president.

The Keystone XL issue has been simmering on the front burner of American politics since January, when President Barack Obama and the State Department denied TransCanada's permit application.

But the political sentiment in Washington - particularly in the White House - over Keystone XL began to shift again this week.

Obama welcomed Trans Canada's decision on Monday to proceed with building the southernmost leg of Keystone XL - from Cushing, Okla., to Port Arthur, Texas - as a stand-alone project that does not require the State Department's approval.
Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: Time to embrace Keystone pipeline: Clinton (external - login to view)
 
mentalfloss
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Clinton, speaking at an energy conference in Maryland, said he believes the pipeline should be approved on a new route that avoids the ecologically fragile Sand Hills region of Nebraska.

This is precisely the reason Obama delayed construction, so what is Transcanada waiting for then?
 
B00Mer
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

This is precisely the reason Obama delayed construction, so what is Transcanada waiting for then?

Sh!t all that have to do is use the entry point into the USA at the Saskatchewan / North Dakota border, and it's a straight shot south pretty much.

 
mentalfloss
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Sh!t all that have to do is use the entry point into the USA at the Saskatchewan / North Dakota border, and it's a straight shot south pretty much.

The thing is, there needs to be enough time for an environmental review. The pipeline will happen, but it needs a proper assessment first. If Transcanada was smart enough to take that into consideration the first time around, they wouldn't be in this mess.
 
B00Mer
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The thing is, there needs to be enough time for an environmental review. The pipeline will happen, but it needs a proper assessment first. If Transcanada was smart enough to take that into consideration the first time around, they wouldn't be in this mess.

You're missing the point.. There already is pipeline in place from Canada to Oklahoma, all they essentially have to do is complete the rest from OK to TX. Basically running it along hwy 75 down to Dallas, then along I45 into Houston and south to Pasadena, TX.

Hwy 75 is a nothing area. a truck route and not much else, with little towns spotting along the road. Mostly Indian reservations and farm land, flat.

They can start that section right away, then worry about the northern "short cut" later..
 
mentalfloss
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Hwy 75 is a nothing area. a truck route and not much else, with little towns spotting along the road. Mostly Indian reservations and farm land, flat.

You have to approve an entire project if that is the project being put forward, not bits and pieces.

If that was the case, then Transcanada should have to get that segment's approval first, then build that pipeline. Then, they would have to get approval for the second segment, etc.. But if you want pipeline approved, then the entire pipeline needs to be approved.
 
B00Mer
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You have to approve an entire project if that is the project being put forward, not bits and pieces.

If that was the case, then Transcanada should have to get that segment's approval first, then build that pipeline. Then, they would have to get approval for the second segment, etc.. But if you want pipeline approved, then the entire pipeline needs to be approved.

LOOK AT THE MAP!! The gray portion is already complete, so they just need to build new pipeline from Okla to Tex.

So, what's the problem with that? They already have existing pipeline in place from Alberta to Oklahoma.

Maybe down the road they can get approval to build "an extension" to short cut the existing pipeline, but they could be supplying Texas with oil now!!
 
petros
+2
#8
Boomer....you get a hero cookie. You're the first one to spot the Keystone and realize it exists and that XL is just part two.
 
mentalfloss
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Boomer....you get a hero cookie. You're the first one to spot the Keystone and realize it exists and that XL is just part two.

I'm only talking about the XL part as well.

Everyone knows it's an extension of Keystone.
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm only talking about the XL part as well.

Everyone knows it's an extension of Keystone.

Not everyone, if they did know they wouldn't give a **** about another line.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Not everyone, if they did know they wouldn't give a **** about another line.

S.O.P of every religion......"Don't tell the followers everything"
 
mentalfloss
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Not everyone, if they did know they wouldn't give a **** about another line.

At some point, if enough people protest, the government will act on it. They realized that this pipeline needed more analysis after all of washington stormed the white house.
 
petros
+2
#13
Pffffb. All they needed was to temporarily appease protesters and wait quietly for troubles in Iran to escalate. I called that months ago and it's coming to fruitition.
 
mentalfloss
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Pffffb. All they needed was to temporarily appease protesters and wait quietly for troubles in Iran to escalate. I called that months ago and it's coming to fruitition.

Iran just highlights the fact that we need to get over our dependency on petrol.
 
petros
#15
And switch to what?
 
mentalfloss
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And switch to what?

Anything else.

You have to build the infrastructure for it.
 
petros
+1
#17
We don't have enough copper and there is no way in Hell you can turn copper mining, smelting and copper recycling into a "green and sustainable" industry.
 
taxslave
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Iran just highlights the fact that we need to get over our dependency on petrol.

No Iran just highlights the need to get away from middle east oil and therefore middle east politics. Then we can have a Canadian or at least North American price for oil not dependent on third world dictators and religious fanatics.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We don't have enough copper and there is no way in Hell you can turn copper mining, smelting and copper recycling into a "green and sustainable" industry.

Been my experience that copper left outside for a while will turn green on its own.
 
petros
#19
We'll never have two tier pricing, We had the chance and it's now long gone.
 
mentalfloss
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

No Iran just highlights the need to get away from middle east oil and therefore middle east politics.

That's because you're shortsighted.

In the greater context, this highlights the dependency on petrol, full stop.
 
petros
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

In the greater context, this highlights the dependency on petrol, full stop.

And switch to what?
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And switch to what?

A combination of everything else that's renewable.
 
petros
#23
Like?
 
mentalfloss
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Like?

Let me google that for you - renewable energy
(external - login to view)
 
petros
#25
How Much Copper Is Used In A Wind Farm?

In 2006, CDA asked Oak Ridge National Laboratories (ORNL) to evaluate the use of copper in renewable energy sources. ORNL conducted an analysis on the Buffalo Mountain Wind Farm run by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and developed the following information.

The Buffalo Mountain Wind Farm has two types of turbines, Vestas Model V47 and Vestas Model V80. For the Vesta V47, a 660-kW turbine, the windings in the system total approximately 800 lb of copper. There are three of these turbines. Three 2/0 cables each 270 ft long connect the generator at the top of the tower to the controller below. Approximately 100 lb of copper busing are located at the base. In addition, the control cabinet contains about 300 lb of various small gauge wires. Each tower has a grounding system that consists of a 1/0 copper cable that runs the length of the tower. Several circular rings of this cable surround the tower. The base of the tower is about 39 ft. Three 20 ft long copper grounding rods, about 1/2” in diameter are associated with each tower.

There are 15 V80 turbines rated at 1.8 MW each. The cable connection is 4/0. The transfer cabinet contains about 15 lb of copper. From the transfer cabinet, either 2/0 or 3/0 cable conveys the energy underground to a switch yard or collection point. From there, aluminum overhead transmission cable distributes the energy away from the farm.

Obviously, the outstanding conductivity and durability of copper help make wind energy generation efficient and reliable. As the U.S. begins to focus more attention on renewable energy sources, copper will play an important role.
 
captain morgan
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And switch to what?

... Good intentions

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We'll never have two tier pricing, We had the chance and it's now long gone.

Maybe we will achieve it... Price at the Hardisty Hub and Premium price at Ft McMurray with a special Ogala tax for all products headed through Nebraska
 
mentalfloss
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How Much Copper Is Used In A Wind Farm?

So you weren't satisfied with my answer to switch to a combination of renewable resources and went ahead with slandering one of them. I see how you play the game, petros.

Cherry picking won't win you any arguments.
 
petros
#28
1I wind turbine = 1.8Mw = 1100lb copper = 500 homes, 12 400 000 homes in Canada/500 = 24 800 wind turbines x1000lbs of copper that is still sitting in the ground.

How much copper is needed for an electric car? How many cars in the world?
 
mentalfloss
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

1I wind turbine = 1.8Mw = 1100lb copper = 500 homes, 12 400 000 homes in Canada/500 = 24 800 wind turbines x1000lbs of copper that is still sitting in the ground.

How much copper is needed for an electric car? How many cars in the world?


Let me google that for you - renewable energy (external - login to view)
 
petros
#30
Canadian Sunshine Hours Canada
 

Similar Threads

229
Oil Unions: Cut Keystone Pipeline
by mentalfloss | Oct 2nd, 2011
no new posts