‘Secret’ G20 law to be scrapped

mentalfloss
‘Secret’ G20 law to be scrapped

The Liberals are replacing the confusing ‘secret law’ police used to place hundreds of people under arrest during the G20 summit in 2010.

The new Public Works Act will be introduced Wednesday in the Legislature, said Community Safety Minister Madeleine Meilleur.

The bill, created out of recommendations of former chief justice Roy McMurtry, will be far narrower in scope, addressing only power plant and court security issues.

“It will be limited because we are following Judge McMurtry’s advice and according to him the … criminal code covers the rest,” Meilleur said Wednesday.

The bill will allow people to be asked for identification and to show their bags when they enter court buildings.

During the June 2010 Toronto G20 summit, the obscure 1939 Public Works Protection Act, enacted to secure against Nazi saboteurs early in World War II, was used to quietly pass a regulation giving police broad powers of arrest.

That directive was merely supposed to clarify police powers within the secure summit site at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, but people were misled into believing it applied to an area five metres outside the cordoned-off zone.

While only two of the 1,105 arrests made during the G20 related to the act, there was widespread outcry over the so-called secret law. “This was an occasion for us to review legislation passed in the middle of the Second World War,” said Meilleur, who did not offer an apology for what many civil liberties groups felt was an abuse of power.

Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak said the Liberals “lost touch” with the public by using a World War II-era law to round up people during the summit.

“Nobody forced them to bring in the secret law at the G20. Nobody forced their arm,” said Hudak. “It was a major scandal for the province.”

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the new law is an “admission” of failure on the part of the Liberal government.

“They made a big mistake when they were preparing for the G20 and they’re ignoring the fact that mistake trampled people’s civil rights, civil liberties,” said Horwath.

“This is why we were concerned with the G20 situation in the first place because we didn’t think the law was necessary. If there’s going to be a protest, there’s going to be a protest.”

McMurtry’s 54-page report on the old law noted the “potential for abuse” was “beyond troubling” and said it was a “loaded weapon” that threatened civil liberties.

Under the act, police or private security guards do not have to justify their actions against citizens, he pointed out.

Canada News: 'Secret' G20 law to be scrapped

Cliffy
Although I agree the G20 was a fiasco and this law needed to be changed, I still left with the fact that every G8/G20 gathering, no matter where it is held in the world, has resulted in the same police brutality. The uniformity of police action world wide makes me think that this law is being used as both a scape goat and a smoke screen.

CDNBear
+1
It's about time the Liberals axed their secret fascist law.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

It's about time the Liberals axed their secret fascist law.

I would have figured you would be all for it.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I would have figured you would be all for it.

That's because you're admittedly stupid.

Cannuck

That's because you're admittedly stupid.

No, I was thinking it is because you tend to defend overbearing police actions and the fear you have displayed over simple things like school yards and parking lots.

CDNBear

No, I was thinking it is because you tend to defend overbearing police actions and the fear you have displayed over simple things like school yards and parking lots.

I don't defend overbearing police actions, and I didn't display any fear over schoolyards or parking lots.

That's just what you think, because of your admitted stupidity.

captain morgan
+2
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Although I agree the G20 was a fiasco and this law needed to be changed, I still left with the fact that every G8/G20 gathering, no matter where it is held in the world, has resulted in the same police brutality. The uniformity of police action world wide makes me think that this law is being used as both a scape goat and a smoke screen.

There is also another common characteristic to all of the G8/G20's, that being unruly mobs that destroy blocks upon blocks of private property in the downtown areas.

Kinda makes you wonder if the police actions would have been the same if the mobs weren't bent on so much predictable destruction.

Cannuck

I don't defend overbearing police actions, and I didn't display any fear over schoolyards or parking lots.

We all remember Officer Bubbles being assaulted with soap. I don't think you're fooling anybody.

CDNBear

We all remember Officer Bubbles being assaulted with soap. I don't think you're fooling anybody.

I also mentioned to LG that I agreed it was poor judgment, but that doesn't change the law.

Your admitted stupidity is what prevents you from grasping things that are obvious.

Cannuck

I also mentioned to LG that I agreed it was poor judgment, but that doesn't change the law.

Yes, the law is the law to folks like you. Did you get an erection when you saw his cool sunglasses?

CDNBear
+1

Did you get an erection when you saw his cool sunglasses?

No, but your sudden interest in my genitalia is an interesting twist to your usual meltdown.

DaSleeper
+2

No, but your sudden interest in my genitalia is an interesting twist to your usual meltdown.

Bear.......cut it out....he's getting dizzy.....

Dog vs Laser pointer - YouTube

And the rest of us are getting dizzy watching him....

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Bear.......cut it out....he's getting dizzy.....

And the rest of us are getting dizzy watching him....

He's up to three threads now.

Jim kills me, he's without a doubt the best playmate I have on the net. I started giving him thumbs up for being so entertaining.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I guess the fact that all the usual suspects are at each of these meeting trying to disrupt them could not have any bearing on the police being there could it?
Come to think of it I can't recall any of them where the police had to wonder around town looking for someone to beat up. All they had to do was hang around outside of where a lot of democratically elected leaders were having a meeting and sure enough a bunch of morons would show up looking for trouble and then complain when the police did their job.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I guess the fact that all the usual suspects are at each of these meeting trying to disrupt them could not have any bearing on the police being there could it?
Come to think of it I can't recall any of them where the police had to wonder around town looking for someone to beat up. All they had to do was hang around outside of where a lot of democratically elected leaders were having a meeting and sure enough a bunch of morons would show up looking for trouble and then complain when the police did their job.

It makes you wonder why the organizers don't host these events in more remote locations... A few years back, they held one in Kananaskis Country (AB) and there was no problems as they rabble didn't have access (even though the site was only about 35-45 minutes from Calgary)

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

It makes you wonder why the organizers don't host these events in more remote locations... A few years back, they held one in Kananaskis Country (AB) and there was no problems as they rabble didn't have access (even though the site was only about 35-45 minutes from Calgary)

Way too far out of town for the rabble. Besides that was Alberta where the locals might just decide to help the cops just for $hits and giggles. Not a lot of sympathy for leftards there.

captain morgan
Good point.

I never really thought of it like that, but I will say that there is not a lot of community support for destruction based on such flimsy excuses

Cliffy

EXPOSED G20 Toronto Police Agent Provocateurs in Video and Photos - WATCH 235 for total proof - YouTube

Police Provocateurs stopped by union leader at anti SPP protest - YouTube

O Canada sung at G20 then riot police rush the singers of Canadas National Anthem - the NWO - YouTube