Ford Is Ford Gone Wild

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Feb 21, 2012 / 2:53 pm

Photo: The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Commuters get off the subway at Toronto's Union Station. Premier Dalton McGuinty says he's running out of patience with Toronto as its mayor battles with city council over transit plans. THE CANADIAN PRESS/J.P. Moczulski

Toronto's top transit manager has lost his job, an apparent casualty in the war between the mayor and city council over subway expansion.
A special Toronto Transit Commission meeting this afternoon had only one item on the agenda, a vote to buy out Gary Webster's contract and dismiss him.
Observers say Webster's job was on the chopping block because he didn't agree with Mayor Rob Ford's plan to build new subways.
The commission voted 5-to-4 to dismiss Webster and begin the search for a new general manager.
Earlier this month, Ford and his allies lost a crucial transit battle when council voted 25-18 in favour of TTC chairwoman Karen Stintz's proposal of light-rail transit, instead of a subway.
The mayor insisted the vote was meaningless because the province would still go ahead with his subway plan, but McGuinty has said he must respect council's decision on the future of the city's transit.
Councillors voted for a plan to put light-rail lines on Eglinton Avenue and Finch Avenue West, and to study a subway extension on Sheppard Avenue.
The province is awaiting the results of that study.
Premier Dalton McGuinty originally committed $8.15 billion in 2007 to a plan called Transit City, which called for more extensive light-rail on Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch and the Scarborough RT route. Transit City was almost entirely funded by the province, with the federal Conservatives chipping in $300 million.
But Ford declared his predecessor David Miller's cherished transit project dead as soon as he took office in 2010, saying there would be no more tracks down the middle of Toronto streets.
"Well you know there was a Plan A under mayor Miller, and then there was a Plan B under Mayor Ford and now we've been asked to consider a Plan C," McGuinty said Tuesday.
"So I can say that we're running out of patience, I think the people of Toronto are running out of patience."
Last March the premier and Ford announced a revamped, $12.6-billion transit project for the city that included light-rail and subway expansion.
The province vowed to contribute $8.4 billion to the plan.

Last week it was suspected Ford would take this action as part of his government by
temper tantrum. This guy is really strange and people are starting to understand
they elected a fool. Its a case of the village idiot is firmly in charge

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Isn't there some kind of provision that allows people to remove their current "leader" if they get enough support?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The leftards can't stand it that Diaperman, aka Smitherman, isn't mayor.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Isn't there some kind of provision that allows people to remove their current "leader" if they get enough support?

And replace him with whom? Quite frankly I think anybody is an improvement over the last tax & spend mayor perfect hair.

Ford's mistake was not firing these Miller left overs on day 1. Miller did that when he took office. Every prior mayor has done that. Ford left them in their posts so they could publicly humilate him. Now when he does fire them, it looks vendictive (which it probably is). Poor politics.

And quite frankly, do we really need more streetcar tracks? How are streetcars 'rapid' transit? If the money is available, build a subway particularly if its MsQuinty's money.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And replace him with whom? Quite frankly I think anybody is an improvement over the last tax & spend mayor perfect hair.

Ford's mistake was not firing these Miller left overs on day 1. Miller did that when he took office. Every prior mayor has done that. Ford left them in their posts so they could publicly humilate him. Now when he does fire them, it looks vendictive (which it probably is). Poor politics.

And quite frankly, do we really need more streetcar tracks? How are streetcars 'rapid' transit? If the money is available, build a subway particularly if its MsQuinty's money.
Great post; subways is the way to go, but don't forget that Ford's money and McGuillicuty's money comes from my pocket.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Yeah, but how much of MsQuinty's money is going to end up being from me?8O

And doesn't the fellow on the left side of the picture look like he belongs on the Enterprise(from Next Generation)?;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, but how much of MsQuinty's money is going to end up being from me?8O

And doesn't the fellow on the left side of the picture look like he belongs on the Enterprise(from Next Generation)?;)

Well, better your money than mine. :)

He's wearing a red shirt. That doesn't bode well for him does it?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Maybe it's one of those episodes where they go back in time and return to earth. I'm thinking TO was probably a poor destination if you want to have an exciting episode.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Well, better your money than mine. :)

He's wearing a red shirt. That doesn't bode well for him does it?

I'd rather it not be my money, so it's not better. LOL!

Red was safer for the Next Gen folks, as it was Command.;) The Gold-shirts were usually the ones to bite it first as they were Security.;)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
$500K severance; Ford accused of 'kicking success out the door'

The Ford administration has been pushing for new subways, but in a stunning defeat this month, council voted to pursue an alternative lightrail strategy favoured by Mr. Webster and TTC chairwoman Karen Stintz.

The timing of Mr. Webster's departure consequently had many left-leaning councillors crying foul, but in a brief statement to reporters, the outgoing TTC head steered clear of politics.

"This is not how I expected this to end or certainly how I wanted it to end, but clearly the choice has been made to replace me as the chief general manager and I accept that," Mr. Webster said, lauding the TTC's history of service.

The city is now on the hook for an estimated $500,000 in severance for Mr. Webster, whose contract was set to expire next July.

In a passionate outburst, Ms. Augimeri said the TTC was sending the message that "toadyism wins."

"You've relied on him for 36 years. What are you thinking?" Ms. Augimeri exclaimed. "Today is a clear demonstration of an abuse of power and an abuse of privilege, and I don't want any part of it.... You're kicking success out the door."

$500K Severance to fire Webster

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The leftards can't stand it that Diaperman, aka Smitherman, isn't mayor.

Smitherman was hardly left to begin with, the left'ish candidate was Pantelone. Your ignorance when it comes to the city you live in is astounding. I guess that's what happens when your opinions are formed from Toronto Sun opinion pieces.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Smitherman was hardly left to begin with, the left'ish candidate was Pantelone. Your ignorance when it comes to the city you live in is astounding. I guess that's what happens when your opinions are formed from Toronto Sun opinion pieces.
Please explain how a big govmint guy like Diaperman is not left. And I'll have you know I read the National Enquirer, too.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Do tighty righties appreciate being in the same league as Loudmouth Ford (may he rust in pieces)
Good thing he got the outside workers signed without a 39 day walkout like his predecessor had. Boy, that Ford is the worst.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Please explain how a big govmint guy like Diaperman is not left. And I'll have you know I read the National Enquirer, too.

The point is the "lefties" backed Pantelone, he was NDP endorsed. Don't let the facts confuse you, Walter.