Canadian government is 'muzzling its scientists'

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the Canadian Feds ought to get out of the science-game altogether

I could agree to that. However, what's worse than spending money on them is to then muzzle them. After all, once we've paid for the research, we might as well benefit from it.

Wouldn't that cause a glut of scientists on the open market, thus driving down their value?

Not to mention adding to the unemployment rate.

I'm all for job creation, but not make-work jobs. And honestly, scientists ought not have any problem finding work in the private sector. Sure the reduced demand might drive their wages down, but seeing how well-paid they are already, no need to worry.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Wouldn't that cause a glut of scientists on the open market, thus driving down their value?

Not to mention adding to the unemployment rate.

Cheaper to pay them EI.

On that note, seeing how the BBC likes to shoot its mouth off about Canada, maybe they can fund the research here in Canada... At least they'll have a good reason to whine.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Cheaper to pay them EI.

On that note, seeing how the BBC likes to shoot its mouth off about Canada, maybe they can fund the research here in Canada... At least they'll have a good reason to whine.

The BBC is a news agency, so news is what it reports, just like the CBC. Are you suggesting that the CBC be critical of nothing other than what the Canadian government funds and nothing else? This would mean the CBC could not be critical of anything outside of Canada.

Can you explain your view of the role of international journalism?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I could agree to that. However, what's worse than spending money on them is to then muzzle them. After all, once we've paid for the research, we might as well benefit from it.

I don't disagree Machjo... I think that the bigger issue is the perennial intrusion of British media into Canada's affairs.

Maybe the BBC should concentrate on its own research sector and work on studying the cause of the dental problems in that nation

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause (Harper Land)
4. Supremacy of the Military (Harper Land)
5. Rampant Sexism
6. Controlled Mass Media (Harper Land)
7. Obsession with National Security (Harper land)
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
9. Corporate Power is Protected (Harper Land)
10. Labor Power is Suppressed
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts (Harper Land)
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment (Harper Land)
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption (Harper Land)
14. Fraudulent Elections

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh cool an interactive post...

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism (Trudeau)
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights (Trudeau)
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause (Trudeau)
4. Supremacy of the Military (Trudeau)
5. Rampant Sexism (Trudeau)
6. Controlled Mass Media (Trudeau)
7. Obsession with National Security (Trudeau)
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined (Trudeau)
9. Corporate Power is Protected
10. Labor Power is Suppressed (Trudeau)
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
14. Fraudulent Elections

Does that mean Trudeau wins?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't disagree Machjo... I think that the bigger issue is the perennial intrusion of British media into Canada's affairs.

Maybe the BBC should concentrate on its own research sector and work on studying the cause of the dental problems in that nation

The BBC is just as critical of the UK too, just as the CBC is critical of other countries. That's the nature of international journalism.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The 14 Defining Characteristics of Other Fascist Sh*t by Dr. Captain Morgan

1. Reposting the same garbage over and over ad nauseaum (You Know Who You Are)
2. Disdain for alternate opinion
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause (GreenPeace)
4. Vilifying the Military (The Usual Suspects)
5. Rampant Ignorance (The Usual Suspects)
6. Controlled Mass Media (CBC)
7. Obsession with Redistribution of Everyone's Wealth But Their Own (The Entire Occupy Movement)
8. Religion is Singled-Out and the Practitioners are Ridiculed, Insulted and Over Generalized (The NDP & Usual Suspects)
9. The Fantasy Belief That Corporations are Protected (The Usual Suspects)
10. Organized Labor is Provided with Special Rights (NDP & Occupy Retards)
11. Insistence of Piling Massive Financial Resources Into Interpretative Dance (NDP. Liberals, CBC - they're all kinda the same thing really)
12. Obsession with Blaming the Victim For the Crime (Usual Suspects)
13. Rampant Ignorance and Predilection to Continually Make the Wrong Assumptions (Usual Suspects)
14. Incessant Pissing and Moaning that Elections Were Fraudulent When Their Party gets An Ass-Whopping (Usual Suspects)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Getting valuable research done and benefiting from it are two different things. There are times
when governments don't like the results or they socially conflict with the agenda of a social
conservative government for example. In the past governments have used or should I say
miss used research and science for their own ends. The controversy over pot is an example of
governments distorting facts to gain a foothold to declare war on drugs and nonsense like that.
No I have never used the funny weed and I never intend to but there comes a time when the
government, the legislative body of society has to except facts as they are not as they like
them to be.
This would not be the first government to attempt to do this I am sure.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Getting valuable research done and benefiting from it are two different things. There are times
when governments don't like the results or they socially conflict with the agenda of a social
conservative government for example. In the past governments have used or should I say
miss used research and science for their own ends. The controversy over pot is an example of
governments distorting facts to gain a foothold to declare war on drugs and nonsense like that.
No I have never used the funny weed and I never intend to but there comes a time when the
government, the legislative body of society has to except facts as they are not as they like
them to be.
This would not be the first government to attempt to do this I am sure.
Yes Tommy Douglas and eughenics come to mind.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The 14 Defining Characteristics of Other Fascist Sh*t by Dr. Captain Morgan

1. Reposting the same garbage over and over ad nauseaum (You Know Who You Are)
2. Disdain for alternate opinion
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause (GreenPeace)
4. Vilifying the Military (The Usual Suspects)
5. Rampant Ignorance (The Usual Suspects)
6. Controlled Mass Media (CBC)
7. Obsession with Redistribution of Everyone's Wealth But Their Own (The Entire Occupy Movement)
8. Religion is Singled-Out and the Practitioners are Ridiculed, Insulted and Over Generalized (The NDP & Usual Suspects)
9. The Fantasy Belief That Corporations are Protected (The Usual Suspects)
10. Organized Labor is Provided with Special Rights (NDP & Occupy Retards)
11. Insistence of Piling Massive Financial Resources Into Interpretative Dance (NDP. Liberals, CBC - they're all kinda the same thing really)
12. Obsession with Blaming the Victim For the Crime (Usual Suspects)
13. Rampant Ignorance and Predilection to Continually Make the Wrong Assumptions (Usual Suspects)
14. Incessant Pissing and Moaning that Elections Were Fraudulent When Their Party gets An Ass-Whopping (Usual Suspects)

You forgot one - posting rubbish like the above.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The best solution to this is a more accountable government, and that will only happen if there is enough media and public criticism of their actions and policy.

I wouldn't recommend privatization of science unless the profit of whichever sector actually coincides with the public good.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The best solution to this is a more accountable government, and that will only happen if there is enough media and public criticism of their actions and policy.

I wouldn't recommend privatization of science unless the profit of whichever sector actually coincides with the public good.
HaHaHa! Dreamer. The private sector is interested in only one thing and that is profits. You don't have to look any farther than Big Pharma to see that the public good is not even on the radar.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Want more proof just watch the current broohaha over the research on Bird Flu. To publish or not to publish, there's the question.

Talking heads will bore us to tears over that one before it's all out in the open anyway.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
HaHaHa! Dreamer. The private sector is interested in only one thing and that is profits. You don't have to look any farther than Big Pharma to see that the public good is not even on the radar.

Aren't NGOs private sector? Last I checked, even Greenpeace is an NGO.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Anything that generates a profit is for the public good since profit is taxed to pay for all your freebies.