Top dentists make $1 million on reserves

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

It's called collective bargaining. The Crown got land, we got "special status and rights".

Which brings us back to whether Canada is still owned and ruled by the crown. Most say it isn't since independence was incorporated into the constitution in 1982. This means your deal is over since the crown cannot enforce its deal upon the separate sovereign nation of Canada.

Quote:

I'm not guaranteed anything a unionized worker gets via collective bargaining. I'm not guaranteed employment in a union shop. In fact, union members, are given preferential treatment to fill union shop jobs. Legally.

Comparing the hiring practices of a unionized shop to the issue of native claims is not quite right. Then again a union shop can close its doors and reopen under a new corporation without the union, kind of like when the Dominion of Canada ceased and opened again as a sovereign nation in 1982.

Quote:

It is illegal to give preferential treatment based on race.

That's why so many qualified white folk work in the band offices instead of all those untrained indians.

Quote:

Irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of Canadians, do not have the right.

Actually the overwhelming majority of Canadians have been duped into believing they don't have the right by those that want to retain power over us.

Quote:

Incorrect. That entitlement, by contract, isn't based on Canadian citizenship.

This is the contract that is null & void since one of the parties to it no longer exists here.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Which brings us back to whether Canada is still owned and ruled by the crown. Most say it isn't since independence was incorporated into the constitution in 1982. This means your deal is over since the crown cannot enforce its deal upon the separate sovereign nation of Canada.

This is the contract that is null & void since one of the parties to it no longer exists here.

If only that were true. First, the Constitution of 1867, then the Indian Act and then the Charter, even if we were to ignore the fact that Canada is a Commonwealth Nation and not a republic. Canada has always, for some strange reason, acknowledged the duty to Crown treaties.

Quote:

Comparing the hiring practices of a unionized shop to the issue of native claims is not quite right.

Hiring practices was hardly the gist of my comment.

Quote:

That's why so many qualified white folk work in the band offices instead of all those untrained indians.

Band Offices? If you're referring to FN governmental facilities, well duh. If you're talking about Native business, I know many non Native people hired to work in Native owned businesses.

Quote:

Actually the overwhelming majority of Canadians have been duped into believing they don't have the right by those that want to retain power over us.

So you keep saying. I await your presence on the evening news.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 08:04 PM..

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

If only that were true. First, the Constitution of 1867, then the Indian Act and then the Charter, even if we were to ignore the fact that Canada is a Commonwealth Nation and not a republic. Canada has always, for some strange reason, acknowledged the duty to Crown treaties.

You see that is the big debate, I want to claim we are still ruled by the crown so as to invoke the Magna Carta in claiming what I believe are my rights but if you talk to any government official whether elected or bureaucrat they will tell you we are completely independent and the crown has no actual legal standing.

Quote:

Hiring practices was hardly the gist of my comment.

Sorry if I misunderstood your comparison.

Quote:

So you keep saying. I await your presence on the evening news.

Just got called to work for a few hours, look forward to continuing this discussion at a later time.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You see that is the big debate, I want to claim we are still ruled by the crown so as to invoke the Magna Carta in claiming what I believe are my rights but if you talk to any government official whether elected or bureaucrat they will tell you we are completely independent and the crown has no actual legal standing.

Can't help you there.

Quote:

Sorry if I misunderstood your comparison.

No worries, sh!t happens.

Quote:

I'll chuckle only if it doesn't end with "Before turning the gun on himself", lol.

dumpthemonarchy
You can invoke Magna Carta without a connection to the crown, the USA does it all the time. It is the spirit of the thing that is important -which is expanding rights, not limiting them. The technicalities are not of primary importantance.