Iran’s Oil Ministry says it has cut off Britain, and France

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Get ready to pay at the pump!

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran has halted oil shipments to Britain and France, the Oil Ministry said Sunday, in an apparent pre-emptive blow against the European Union after the bloc imposed sanctions on Iran’s crucial fuel exports.

The EU imposed tough sanctions against Iran last month, which included a freeze of the country’s central bank assets and an oil embargo set to begin in July. Iran’s Oil Minister Rostam Qassemi had warned earlier this month that Tehran could cut off oil exports to “hostile” European nations. The 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran’s oil exports.

“Crude oil exports to British and French companies have been halted,” Oil Ministry spokesman Ali Reza Nikzad-Rahbar said on the ministry’s shana.ir website. “We have our own customers and have no problem to sell and export our crude oil to new customers.”
Britain’s Foreign Office declined comment, and there was no immediate response from French officials.

The semiofficial Mehr news agency said crude exports were halted Sunday to the two countries. It also said the National Iranian Oil Company has sent letters to some European refineries with an ultimatum to either sign long-term contracts of two to five years or be cut off.

Mehr did not specify which countries were sent the ultimatum, but Spain, Italy and Greece are among Europe’s biggest buyers of Iranian oil.

Iran’s targeting of Britain and France appeared to be a political decision to punish the two countries for supporting tougher sanctions against Iran over its disputed nuclear program.

Sunday’s announcement follows a flurry of contradictory signals by Iran about backlash against the EU for imposing a boycott on Iranian oil.

Last week, state media said Iran was planning to cut off oil exports to six EU nations, including France, but later reports said the nations were only told that Iran has no problem finding replacement customers for the European shipments.

The EU sanctions, imposed last month, were part of Western efforts to target Iran’s critical oil sector in attempts to rein in Tehran’s nuclear program.

The West fears Iran’s nuclear program aim to develop atomic weapons. Iran denies the allegations, and says the program is for peaceful purposes like producing electricity and medical isotopes.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am sure there are plenty of customers in SE Asia that will happily buy up the surplus. Thus is just one more case where the governments in the west show absolutely no regard for the average Joe who will likely now be paying an extra $1/L while the oil companies show record profits.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Iran sales will be pegged to the price of gold will it not, that means those nations buying oil would not need to hold onto US currency and dumping that would increase the price of gold perhaps but at least fluxuations in the USD will not raise prices for either of them. With the West starting to seize bank accounts the sales would have to be approved by the World Bank and all they care about is getting their interest payments on their books on time.

If they can get their product to port.
How much of their exports use the Strait, I would think a pipleline or a port on Arabian Sea would be the best way to ship oil to the east. More work for her trading partners, especially if India is about to bloom to join China as the two manufacturing centers of the world. The World Bank will have them selling back and forth till their economy is like the one of the West today, 400 years tops.

I guess the test to see if a few could manufacturer all the needs of the rich didn't pan out and the World Banksters are going back to the old tried and true method a few with a sharp sword get served by the multitudes, back-talk brings death.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am sure there are plenty of customers in SE Asia that will happily buy up the surplus. Thus is just one more case where the governments in the west show absolutely no regard for the average Joe who will likely now be paying an extra $1/L while the oil companies show record profits.

Why blame the governments and not the oil companies who are the ones who chose to raise the prices?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why blame the governments and not the oil companies who are the ones who chose to raise the prices?

If our governments would keep their noses out of the business of another sovereign nation and quit all the political posturing the oil would keep flowing and there wouldn't be an excuse for the oil companies to raise the prices.

I would not be surprised if somehow this stoppage in the flow of Iranian oil becomes the catalyst for military action and war. I bet the US is salivating and thinking of how they can use this to invade.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Oh boy! I better go back to work Monday and work on family day. The government will need my money to buy more bombs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The countries affected will find other sources for oil, the problem is the companies will use
this as an excuse to raise prices for the summer season. If they are going to raise them to
much the government should step in and regulate the price according to a fair profit margin
determined by government of course.
As for Iran, it is time they were given a lesson in something short of diplomacy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Quite so. This is a matter of Iran cutting off its nose to spite its face.
How is that going to happen, Iran will be still selling as much oil and pegged to gold rather than the USD. Didn't take a Saddam long to be invaded after he started selling his oil in euros.
Iran may start something that catches on and just that one move could see fuel prices in the US skyrocket while the price of crude is actually unchanged to any great degree.