Catholic Priests in Colombia Acting True to Character

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
At least these vermin are dead-I can think of several thousand more who need a hot lead baptism

Colombia priests 'hired own killers' in suicide pact

The two priests were mourned by their parishioners in Bogota

Two Colombian priests who were found shot dead in the capital Bogota a year ago themselves hired the assassins who killed them, prosecutors say.

They said the priests had agreed a suicide pact after one of them was diagnosed with Aids, but contracted hitmen because they could not bring themselves to carry it out.

Relatives of the dead priests insist they were victims of an armed robbery.

They have denied reports that they were involved in a gay relationship.

Two of the alleged killers are being prosecuted after being traced from calls made from the priests' phones.

'Pray for me'
Father Richard Piffano, 37, and Father Rafael Reatiga, 35, were found shot dead in a car in southern Bogota in January 2011.

Prosecutors allege they paid the suspected hitmen around $8,500 (£5,440) to kill them and make it look like a robbery attempt.

The two priests had been friends since their training and often celebrated Mass and other religious services together, Colombia's El Tiempo newspaper reported.

In his final church service, Father Reatiga asked parishioners to pray to Santa Marta, the patron saint of lost causes, the paper reported, while Father Piffano asked his to "pray for me".

Suicide - like homosexual acts - is forbidden in the Catholic Church.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm uncertain as to why they would be called vermin. If they were gay, who cares? Just because they were Catholic priests? Oh no! They were both adults and nothing they did hurt anyone else.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It is time for the Latin rite of the Catholic Church to relax its celibacy laws. Denying outlets to a priest's sexuality, heterosexual or otherwise, is dehumanizing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Vermin is a word I'll reserve for people who think being gay is deserving of death.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Vermin is a word I'll reserve for people who think being gay is deserving of death.

I'll second you on that Karrie.

It certainly is a lot more polite than some of the potential responses that have been flying through my mind.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I see I got a reddie for simply pointing out that in the Eastern rites of the self-same Catholic Church a married clergy is the norm, and the Latin rite is mad not to follow.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think people may have misunderstood bill barilko. He is a Suzuki-ite and takes issue with these priests driving a car.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think people may have misunderstood bill barilko. He is a Suzuki-ite and takes issue with these priests driving a car.

I know a lot of people that consider Suzuki-ites as little more than vermin. Oddly all of them like being able to work to feed their families.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I see I got a reddie for simply pointing out that in the Eastern rites of the self-same Catholic Church a married clergy is the norm, and the Latin rite is mad not to follow.

I ignored your statement simply because it doesn't apply to these men in the here and now. They still wouldn't have been able to come out and live a normal life, they still would have likely escaped into the priesthood and carried on an affair with one another in order to maintain some semblance of respectability and not live in fear.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I ignored your statement simply because it doesn't apply to these men in the here and now. They still wouldn't have been able to come out and live a normal life, they still would have likely escaped into the priesthood and carried on an affair with one another in order to maintain some semblance of respectability and not live in fear.

I think that it's just getting tiring that anytime there is a negative story that involves a priest, the entire Catholic religion and anyone with any kind of connection to it is dragged through the mud... It's like clockwork each time something comes up.