Ontario - Drummond Report

Goober
It is and has been clear that the Liberals in Ontario, under McGuinty have increased spending at an unsustainable rate.So what will they do now? Anyone with a bit of sense could see it coming but they kept on spending. Thank you Premier Dad.

Drummond Report: Freeze doctor wages, increase class size amid 'harsh reality' for Ontario | News | National Post

Link to the report
Commission on the Reform of Ontario's Public Services

TORONTO — The Ontario government needs to “swiftly and boldly” implement all of the hundreds of recommendations in a massive report released Wednesday if it wants to eliminate a projected $30.2 billion deficit by 2017, warns economist Don Drummond.

“Unfortunately, we’re dealing with a harsh reality in identity here,” said Drummond, the author of the 543-page report and former chief economist with TD Bank.

The audit, which took nearly a year to complete, offered up 362 recommendations in various sectors including health care, education, social programs, justice and labour relations.

In its 2011 budget, the Ontario government had projected its deficit to climb to $16-billion, but Drummond says his projects peg it at more than double that if the province continues its current spending.

To reach the target, Ontario must decrease its total program spending to 0.8 per cent for the next seven years.

The majority of the proposed cuts relate to reducing inefficiencies in how Ontario runs its health-care system.

Currently, it’s projected that the health-care budget costs will jump to $62.5 billion by 2017-18 for an average increase of 4.9 per cent per year. Drummond says to eliminate the province’s debt, it must rein in the spending to an increase of 2.5 per cent per year.

He says he realizes that some of the recommendations will not be considered, but that the government needs to find other ways to come up with other areas to cut to close the gap.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
BruSan
+7
#2  Top Rated Post
This should be a pre-cursor to any resurgance of the Liberal party across Canada. Bad enough they've got themselves a turncoat interim leader in the 'failed at being an NDP premiere of Ontario' Bob Rae, but to also have a Trudeau who can waffle as he is now on sovereignity should give everyone pause.

How did McGuinty ignore years of warnings to arrive at this juncture is beyond understanding and just proves the man's a doofus. All those failed experiments he tried with his previous mismanaged Health Ministry officials cashing in are just icing on the cake.

CDNBear
+3
I'm just wondering where all the usual suspects are, with their usual rhetoric about inappropriate spending.

lone wolf
Don't know if it's inappropriate spending or spending based on the weight of vanished manufacturing.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Don't know if it's inappropriate spending or spending based on the weight of vanished manufacturing.

I'm not sure how giving a cricket club $1 million, is appropriate.

lone wolf
I've said the same about golf courses.

CDNBear
+1

I've said the same about golf courses.

You won't find me arguing with you.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I'm just wondering where all the usual suspects are, with their usual rhetoric about inappropriate spending.

Have you seen how your electricity bill has increased. Wait for more increases. This has been known for about 6-8 years because of Premier Green Dad's policies.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Have you seen how your electricity bill has increased. Wait for more increases. This has been known for about 6-8 years because of Premier Green Dad's policies.

I haven't missed anything dear old Dolton has done to my wallet.

lone wolf
+2
Green dad and some stupid government who sold off Ontario Hydro to the for profit sector - thus killing heavy industry in Ontario

CDNBear

Green dad and some stupid government who sold off Ontario Hydro to the for profit sector - thus killing heavy industry in Ontario

Ya but now they're only the bad guys for selling it. They won't be the bad guys for jacking your bill, while they try and replace aging, ailing infrastructure.

Goober
+2

Correct again - Ontario is turning into one big rust belt. I am sure he will go down as one of the worst premiers due to overspending - just on that - That said the Cons were just as stupid.

lone wolf
+2

Ya but now they're only the bad guys for selling it. They won't be the bad guys for jacking your bill, while they try and replace aging, ailing infrastructure.

Deferred maintenance and top-heavy administration.

CDNBear
+3

Deferred maintenance and top-heavy administration.

Same terminology can be applied to the health care system.

lone wolf
+3
True.... Applicable to the Empty Hole (MTO) too - anything whose fingers tap the government pocket for that matter. There just isn't the manufacturing base to feed the machinery any more.

Goober

Same terminology can be applied to the health care system.

Yes - Dr's salaries increases in AB have averaged approx 7% a year for a number of years.

L Gilbert
+1
ON sure has had a rough go the past few years. They get Bobnoxious and now McSquinty. We Canadians are a weird lot. In BC, we had Glen Cluck and then traded him in for Campbull. Like Anna says, there must be two different species of humans around still; homo sapiens sapiens (the minority) and homo stultus (the majority).

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Yes - Dr's salaries increases in AB have averaged approx 7% a year for a number of years.

Depending on the field and the work load, I have no problem with a Doctor making a what might appear to some as an obscene wage.

Why not? They pay sports heroes ridiculous amounts of money to entertain.

I do take issue with stuffed suits behind oak desks on the top floors of their tashma hospitals, making hundreds of thousands a year, to shuffle paper.

I also take great issue with asshats like...

taxslave
The same can probably be said in all provinces except Quebec. We are never permitted to criticize how Quebec squanders money that they rap each year from other provinces.
All provinces (except Quebec) have vast legions of redundant bureaucrats in all ministries and almost all municipalities that spend truck loads of money but accomplish nothing.
Manufacturing in Ontario like sawmills in BC have the same problem. Various levels of government and quasi government agencies with the right to levy taxes, greedy unions, and an over abundance of government agencies that somehow have the right to oversee and demand permit fees as well as mountains of useless paperwork have forced once profitable businesses to produce their products off shore.

no new posts