Tony says legalize drugs

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Until almost the mid thirties cocaine was legal dentists used it at times.
Prohibition in booze led to the other drugs being illegal so the FBI had a
reason to exist and the game has gone on ever since.

I didn't know coke was legal till the '30s. Seems like I was born too early. I got a shot of morphine when I had a kidney stone, it was awesome. Now you'll tell me morphine was once legal.

Sure, blame the USA for all the problems in the world. Maybe Iran will bomb them soon, or invade'em.

Mowich

Heck, Coca-Cola once contained heroin, miniscule amounts - but there all the same - until 1929. As a matter of fact, heroin was an ingredient in many patent medicines of the 19th century and when Coca-Cola first hit the market it was as a medicine.

dumpthemonarchy
So many drugs vanished by the mid 20th century. Was it suburbanisation? Homogenisation of milk?

Cliffy
Here is a different perspective of drug use - the sacred and how modern medicine took these sacred substances and refined them into powerful and addictive substances that plague modern society. Perhaps it is time to promote the responsible use of mind altering drugs to seek beyond the mundane, the way they were used for thousands of years, instead of for recreational use. Very interesting and thoughtful documentary from the History channel.

History Channel: Ancient Drugs - YouTube (external - login to view)!

dumpthemonarchy
Drugs are a problem, but you can't stop adults from buying them. The demand exists so someone will supply them. It's simply another way to create jobs.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

I didn't know coke was legal till the '30s. Seems like I was born too early. I got a shot of morphine when I had a kidney stone, it was awesome. Now you'll tell me morphine was once legal.

Well, if you got a shot of it, I would say it still is legal.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Drug abuse is a medical problem. Making drugs illegal makes it harder for people to seek help because of the social stigma attached. By making people criminals you create an underground sub-culture where people are afraid of exposure to the dominant culture because of rejection, judgement and bigotry. We isolate addicts by criminalizing them. It is time to make all drugs legal and treat the problem as a medical one. With the billions saved on law enforcement, court time and prisons, we can afford to give the stuff to junkies and we would eliminate all the crime associated with drugs including B&Es. It just makes better sense than the stupidity of the present atmosphere around drugs.

I hope they never legalize certain drugs. Crack cocaine, heroin, speed, etc.

They want to legalize(or decriminalize) pot, that is fine. But the other ones? No. I would prefer the billions being spent of law enforcement, court time and prisons. It's not like the only criminals are the ones taking drugs. And making the drugs legal won't stop people from B&E. They B&E because they can't afford the drugs, not because the drug is illegal. Making it legal wouldn't make a difference. And why shouldn't the addicts face any culpability for what they do while either high or while trying to get the next fix? We should pay for them all to get better? Sorry, but I don't think that will be happening.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

From the Thread title....who is "Tony" ???

Tony Bennett. He said that if drugs were legalized then Whitney wouldn't have died.

TenPenny
I think it would be just as more to say that if baths were illegal, she wouldn't have died.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Yeah, in the 1920s, pot was legal and used as medicine. But you can't patent a plant, so big pharma made it illegal and reaped the ensuing massive profits.

The conspiracy theorists are here again.

Like I said.

TenPenny
It's hardly a conspiracy theory; look what the prohibition on alcohol achieved.

I know you're busy sucking off your favorite conservative, but when you do come up for air, at least try to think.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

The conspiracy theorists are here again.

Like I said.

So why were all these drugs made illegal?