Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Thoughtpolice
I suspect it will turn up to be a suicide.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Some people think "making it big" is the answer. There have been far too many rich and famous people crumble to believe that being rich and famous cures all ills. She was an immense talent. The drugs destroyed that. But the drugs ultimately were not the problem. They were nothing more than a symptom.

well said. Yes......a symptom of what folks have bought into as being the "american dream". (one assumes that means huge success, a moneyed lifestyle with all the trappings (drugs etc) that go with it. It is also a symptom of where society is , when it actually worships this rich and shameless life and uses it as a goal in life. A society that will sell its soul for a few seconds on TV and all the fawning that involves.

It is also a symptom of the fact that most cannot handle this "american dream " of public life , wealth and lose control of their priorities.

Notice........just about EVERY huge talent that "made the american dream) has had addiction issues. There is a clue there. even the wonderfully talented Tony Bennett. Three wives later and a lot of family support he managed to pull himself out of it. The Italian importance on family might have helped.

Elvis was ill equipped from the onset to handle what came with his big talent. He was totally unsophisticated in the ways of the world , been pampered by him mom .....over protected , and thus lacking the development of coping skills. He just took what he wanted when he wanted and because of his dependant personality type......was a natural for the drug world. (even if he rationalized that they were prescription drugs ) His manager exploited his talent , as did the Memphjis maphia around him. He passively let this happen as he could not assert himself in a way to remain in control of his life.

Then there is M. Jackson. If folks are angry at Whtney......they should be just as angry at Michael Jackson. He literally paid someone to "kill him".....then the media , took the Dr to task.......when it was Jackson who orchestrated his own demise by playing russian roulette with high potency illegal drugs. Yes, the Dr. is guilty ......but of being weak and getting involved with Jackson to begin with.

the root of this?? MONEY...

and , and , and. So yes.......the huge red flag is glaring about something deeper and more lethal in a society that lets its heros, and idols get away with this........until something like a sudden death happens Then it tears the person in question apart like vultures.

Does one really know how things would go , if they were so talented, in the spotlilght, earning buckets of money, could have anything they want , have each action scrutinized and live in a hi pressure bubble that could break anyone??? Remember the american dream is just that .........a dream. a fantasy. The culture chases this fantasy as an end all and at any cost.

Interesting that this time the media is actually holding off on disecting the situation and her life.......and trying to keep the focus on her fantastic talent. Maybe they are finally learning something. The media is very much a part of this rich and shameless culture ...can make or break a person.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThoughtpoliceView Post

I suspect it will turn up to be a suicide.

Maybe . IF she had a history of depression. OR it may turn out to be a heart attack or something totally medical. Induced by the stresses of her life......and lifestyle .

Hopefully.........this will be handled with more dignity than we have seen in past sudden deaths. The addictive aspect has become the "norm" in these situations ......so best focus on the talent and contribution to the music world and society.

lone wolf
A hectic schedule might have a lot to do with it too. When one is an act, one is a commodity - even in the rest of the world.

talloola
the fault of being a drug addict is hers and hers alone, she made those decisions by herself, and
to put the blame on anything else is doing her a favour, also her drug addict husband can't be
blamed for her problems, he has his problems, and they belong to him, together they must have been
quite a pair.

people don't have to cave into others demands and decisions, one must treasure themselves as an individual and mother/father, protect and love your children, and don't put yourself ahead of them.

I have no sympathy for her, just pity and anger, to see the waste of not just her life, but the
torment and stress on her children, and other members of her family as well.

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Whitney Houston 'happy' in days before death

Whitney Houston 'happy' in days before death - World - CBC News

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

the fault of being a drug addict is hers and hers alone, she made those decisions by herself, and
to put the blame on anything else is doing her a favour, also her drug addict husband can't be
blamed for her problems, he has his problems, and they belong to him, together they must have been
quite a pair.

people don't have to cave into others demands and decisions, one must treasure themselves as an individual and mother/father, protect and love your children, and don't put yourself ahead of them.

I have no sympathy for her, just pity and anger, to see the waste of not just her life, but the
torment and stress on her children, and other members of her family as well.

That would apply to every celeb with talent . Maybe MJ , Elvis, and the host of others should have had the inner strength to "just say no" . Those that have worked with addicted clients will tell you......it is not that easy and a whole lot more complex. Some just have a genetic tendancy towards such dependancies. As has been said.......one has to walk in their shoes to truly understand what the whole dynamic was.

what is even more tragic is that all the deaths of such powerful talents has not influenced the drug culture one bit. (as in detered it)

Why is that?? If it is so easy to say no , when addicted or potentially addicted........why isn't it happening??

lone wolf
+1
Have you ever had to resort to painkillers to stay on the job ... or bennies so you can go those extra miles?

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Very sad, we can judge others, but it's meaningless if we don't know the "headwinds they've been bucking".

While some may yawn, you and I look a bit deeper, JLM. Like you I realize that we will never know what drove such a talented person to pursue the life she did in spite of the acclaim and recognition she had garnered a long the way. I wasn't a 'fan' of Whitney but I did recognize talent when I heard it and she once had a great voice, IMHO.

Ocean Breeze
Breaking news: source: Vancouver Sun

Quote:

There are reports that Bobbi Kristina Brown, the 18-year-old daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, was rushed to hospital following the death of her mother Saturday. Brown was transported to Cedars-Sinai hospital from the Beverly Hilton, the hotel where Houston passed away.

Locutus
+2

It doesn't take long these days.

For me just another washed-up has-been celeb drug addict. I care not.

TenPenny
I hated her screaming, when she sang, she had a decent voice, but it seemed every song she felt the need to scream. Got tiring after the first time.

I still find it funny when these church goin' choir singers make the big time, and decide that drugs and such are a great thing, and destroy their lives.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

Whitney Houston 'happy' in days before death - World - CBC News

That would apply to every celeb with talent . Maybe MJ , Elvis, and the host of others should have had the inner strength to "just say no" . Those that have worked with addicted clients will tell you......it is not that easy and a whole lot more complex. Some just have a genetic tendancy towards such dependancies. As has been said.......one has to walk in their shoes to truly understand what the whole dynamic was.

what is even more tragic is that all the deaths of such powerful talents has not influenced the drug culture one bit. (as in detered it)

Why is that?? If it is so easy to say no , when addicted or potentially addicted........why isn't it happening??

that is the pitiful question, the strong and the selfish and the criminal element, who are also pitiful,
will take advantage of the horribly weak, and it goes on and on and on, and we consider the wars in
the middle east the worst, well I don't, I consider the miserable behavior of those two types of the
human race as the worst.

I suppose all thru the history of the human race, those two types have always existed, and taken advantage,
and been taken advantage of throughout time.

yeah, and nothing changes.

but something that does bother me is that, drug use is quite accepted; and throughout my lifetime,
(no drug use when I was in high school, in my city, and school),(but alchohol was a big problem), during the early fifties, and now the two problems are a huge drag on society, alchoholism and drug addiction, things are getting worse, not better.

It is sad and worrisome when I hear that drug use will never be controlled, which tells me that there
are many pay offs within the legal system, and also drug use within the legal system, so how can this ever be stopped.

Whether it is called the legal system, the police, or whatever, it is still a human problem, they are all
just human beings, no matter what uniform they wear, and they become part of the problem instead of part
of the solution.

Which tells me, 'what is next' on the horrow list.

actually whitney houston didn't look as bad now, as she did when I saw pictures of her a few years back,
so it seems she had made some progress from that point, but obviously no where near back to normal,
and maybe never would have been, we'll never know now.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

It doesn't take long these days.

For me just another washed-up has-been celeb drug addict. I care not.

well, there is a reason for the words on your graphic. Many folks follow the celeb lifestyles of the rich and shameless as they would the tabloids. IF the media gave the same amount of attention to the troops who are dying, maimed, scarred for life, (mentally and physically) as they do to each Celeb...... the public would truly realize what WAR is and stop supporting it realizing the gov't propaganda and lies. It could be said that this window into these horrific deaths would be the biggest wake up call of all.

I beg to differ. these troops are NOT dying for the people. (that is propaganda and Bull crap) they are dying for the politicians who have their own ambitions when they start these wars. But it makes for a story line that the sheeple will swallow. Many would make the troops into celebs with the amount of hero worship that is expressed about them. It is the gov't that sends them into these elective wars of choice .....NOT the population. The population is not even asked for their input.

About not caring. Seems that many of these very talented people that become celebs have many personal issues of having been used and abused as a commodity........and feel that the only part people care about is the talent & Image and not the person. That creates a huge void and emptiness. It is an isolated lifestyle and body guards are not family or a support system. There is also a big gap between the image and the real person.

skookumchuck
The 99.999 % of people who have worked hard all their lives, stayed within the law etc, can understandably be resentful of one who is born with both the gift of beauty, voice, and the contacts to promote it. I am one of those selfish sorts who has trouble with seeing monstrous amounts of money being pizzed away and family trashed by a petulant and unhealthy mind.
Darwinism can be a good thing.

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Houston autopsy results withheld by police According to coroner: Body found in bathtub.

Houston autopsy results withheld by police - World - CBC News

gopher
Quote:

It is just too tragic. The talent that she had was superior and on a stratosphere of a select few earthlings.

Awesome voice & singer - will be sorely missed.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

The 99.999 % of people who have worked hard all their lives, stayed within the law etc, can understandably be resentful of one who is born with both the gift of beauty, voice, and the contacts to promote it. I am one of those selfish sorts who has trouble with seeing monstrous amounts of money being pizzed away and family trashed by a petulant and unhealthy mind.
Darwinism can be a good thing.

That may part of the problem for some of these people. They have all the talent, ability, looks and the media keeps saying how wonderful they are and what a wonderful life they must have. Just because Whitney was beautiful and had a one in a million voice it was expected that she be happy. She may very well have felt guilt and shame if she wasn't happy. There must be something wrong with her after all. People like her are supposed to be happy.

spaminator
and i e i can't say that i'm surprised that this happened. may she make beautiful music with her kindred spirit amy winehouse.

whitney houston how will i know remix - YouTube (external - login to view)

whitney houston i wanna dance with somebody remix - YouTube (external - login to view)

whitney houston i will always love you remix - YouTube (external - login to view)