War to End All Wars now confined to History

Walter
All are now gone.
Last Briton to serve in WWI dies at 110 (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
Nope. That may be the last Brit, but Józef Kowalski from Poland is still live n kickin. He turned 112 on Feb 2 this year.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Nope. That may be the last Brit, but Józef Kowalski from Poland is still live n kickin. He turned 112 on Feb 2 this year.

Got a link?

L Gilbert
It was also on the news last week.

List of oldest living people by nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Józef Kowalski | Facebook (external - login to view)

Walter

It was also on the news last week.

List of oldest living people by nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Józef Kowalski | Facebook (external - login to view)

According to Wiki he did not serve in WW 1.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

According to Wiki he did not serve in WW 1.

Wanna bet? List of surviving veterans of World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

damngrumpy
+2
#7  Top Rated Post
Are some upset because a Polish soldier is the last and not a Brit? And here I thought
all were allies against the Germans in that skirmish. WWI was fought over the same
things as all other wars, trade and money.
We in the West don't even observe Remembrance Day for the right reasons anymore.
Unfortunately we have learned little about war and we disregard what can happen if we
do not pay attention to history. Slowly but surely we are preparing ourselves for worse
things to come. The Middle East if a failed experiment at fundamentalist containment.
People like Ron Paul want to return America to the days of Isolationism and we know
where that got us in the past don't we?
The world is a busy place fraught with danger and we are more interested in Entertainment
Tonight to pay attention. The Middle East, Africa, Parts of Asia and instability in Europe
make old frustrations and hatred resurface and we blindly pretend nothing is wrong.
WWI happened primarily by accident, WWII happened because of indifference and neglect
and WWIII, well that will happen because of our neglect of the problem areas of the world
and our propping up of those who should not be in power.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Are some upset because a Polish soldier is the last and not a Brit?

Apparently Walter is.
Quote:

And here I thought
all were allies against the Germans in that skirmish. WWI was fought over the same
things as all other wars, trade and money.
We in the West don't even observe Remembrance Day for the right reasons anymore.
Unfortunately we have learned little about war and we disregard what can happen if we
do not pay attention to history. Slowly but surely we are preparing ourselves for worse
things to come. The Middle East if a failed experiment at fundamentalist containment.
People like Ron Paul want to return America to the days of Isolationism and we know
where that got us in the past don't we?
The world is a busy place fraught with danger and we are more interested in Entertainment
Tonight to pay attention. The Middle East, Africa, Parts of Asia and instability in Europe
make old frustrations and hatred resurface and we blindly pretend nothing is wrong.
WWI happened primarily by accident, WWII happened because of indifference and neglect
and WWIII, well that will happen because of our neglect of the problem areas of the world
and our propping up of those who should not be in power.

Seems like.

shadowshiv
Being 112 years old. That is an amazing feat!

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Being 112 years old. That is an amazing feat!

Feat? Shouldn't you have posted that in the "foot found" thread?

I'm not sure I'd want to last that long. Sometimes I think I've seen too much as it is. Spooky stuff.

Walter

Wanna bet? List of surviving veterans of World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

If you read the link you have cited it says he did not participate in WW 1.

L Gilbert
Oh, well.