Argentina to raise Falklands UK 'militarisation' at UN

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
BBC News - Argentina to raise Falklands UK 'militarisation' at UN

While I can see Argentina's point, it does take two to Tango. Why could Mercosur not allow ships entering their waters to fly the Flakland-Islands' flag?

Sure they're free to let anyone in they want, but if they want peace, giving some friendly gestures would be helpful towards thawing relations too.

And as for the UN, I don't see what it can do other than request that the British be more sensitive to Argenine sentiments. Beyond that though, if Falklanders want to remain British, chances are the Un will respect their wish. At most, it might simply request the two nations try to work out more cordial relations between each other. But again, it takes two to tango here.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
BBC News - Argentina to raise Falklands UK 'militarisation' at UN

While I can see Argentina's point, it does take two to Tango. Why could Mercosur not allow ships entering their waters to fly the Flakland-Islands' flag?

Sure they're free to let anyone in they want, but if they want peace, giving some friendly gestures would be helpful towards thawing relations too.

And as for the UN, I don't see what it can do other than request that the British be more sensitive to Argenine sentiments. Beyond that though, if Falklanders want to remain British, chances are the Un will respect their wish. At most, it might simply request the two nations try to work out more cordial relations between each other. But again, it takes two to tango here.

The Islands are British, the citizens wish to remain British, the Brits kicked Argentine arse there in 1982, at the cost of lives. They have shed blood over it, and Argentina should now STFU.

The way to avoid conflict is NOT friendly gestures that encourage a pushing of the envelope. The way to avoid conflict is to quietly make it very VERY clear that if you are harassed while going about your legitimate business, the reaction will be immediate, overwhelming, and violent.

No negotiations, no compromise, no BS.

I darnst Ya to step over this here line Varmit.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Islands are British, the citizens wish to remain British, the Brits kicked Argentine arse there in 1982, at the cost of lives. They have shed blood over it, and Argentina should now STFU.

The way to avoid conflict is NOT friendly gestures that encourage a pushing of the envelope. The way to avoid conflict is to quietly make it very VERY clear that if you are harassed while going about your legitimate business, the reaction will be immediate, overwhelming, and violent.

No negotiations, no compromise, no BS.

I darnst Ya to step over this here line Varmit.

Argentine and Mercosur is not helping matters at all with its rules banning Falkland ships flying their flags either.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It is not as cut and dried as Colpy pretends it to be.
gulfnews : Falkland islanders will be sold out sooner or later

It would be tricky to give the Falklands back to Argentina when the local population all want to remain British.

The best scenario I could see would be that the UK establish some kind of free trade and free labour-movement deal between the UK and Mercosur with some kind of agreement that sovereignty over the Falklands goes to whoever the majority of Falklanders want to govern them (which at this point in times appears to be the UK). This would mean that sovereignty over the Falklands would remain British but that Argentinians would be free to live and work there as they wish.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It would be tricky to give the Falklands back to Argentina when the local population all want to remain British.

The best scenario I could see would be that the UK establish some kind of free trade and free labour-movement deal between the UK and Mercosur with some kind of agreement that sovereignty over the Falklands goes to whoever the majority of Falklanders want to govern them (which at this point in times appears to be the UK). This would mean that sovereignty over the Falklands would remain British but that Argentinians would be free to live and work there as they wish.

As long as they pay for any land they use. Let the islanders determine the price. There is not a lot of what one might consider
good land on those islands and the climate is crap. Argentinians might decide they don't want the land as much as they thought they did

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

I can't. I don't believe that Britain is "militarising" the Falklands. But even if it is, it is only doing so because of Argentina's sabre-rattling and aggressiveness.

If Argentina carries on it might find itself on the receiving end of several Tomahawk missiles.

And as for the UN, I don't see what it can do other than request that the
British be more sensitive to Argenine sentiments.

I don't see why the British should be "more sensitive" to Argentine sentiments. The Argies are wrong and they are not having the Falklands.

Britain can't give the islands "back to" Argentina, because Argentina has never owned the islands, so it's impossible to give them back.

with some kind of agreement that sovereignty over the Falklands goes to
whoever the majority of Falklanders want to govern them (which at this point in
times appears to be the UK).

That is already the case. International laws on self-determination ensure that the islanders already have the capability to decide whether they want to be British, Argentinian, or whatever. But the Argentinians just don't seem to accept that law.

Also, Britain doesn't govern the Falklands. The islands are not a British colony or even a dependency. They are a British Overseas Territory, and are so by choice, The Falklands govern themselves. They have their own elected MPs sitting in a little parliament building in Port Stanley called Gilbert House. The only things that Britain is responsible for is the islands' defence and foreign affairs.

This would mean that sovereignty over the Falklands would remain British but that Argentinians would be free to live and work there as they wish.

Argentinians are free to live and work on the islands.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Poor Brits trying to hang on to their Island, one of their last trophies from their colonial days.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Argentina has no more claim to the Falklands than Canada does to Alaska

Here’s an interesting idea you might not have considered before: let’s force Alaska to become a part of Canada. It is, after all, separated from the rest of the United States of America by some 500 miles and connected to Canada by a border more than 1,500 miles long.

Perhaps this suggestion sounds ridiculous? It shouldn’t, at least if you support Argentina’s claim to sovereignty over the Falkland Islands. With the UK having just deployed one of its most powerful warships to the region, and Prince William having begun a six-week deployment to the Islands in his role as an RAF search-and-rescue pilot, frustrations are once again boiling over in the Argentine capital Buenos Aires. Read more: Argentina has no more claim to the Falklands than Canada does to Alaska — MercoPress

I'm proud to be from the Falklands - and proud to be British

Daily Mirror journalist Rob Burnett, a Falkland Islander, tells us what life is like on the Falkland Islands (which are the same size as Northern Ireland) and of the islanders' desire to be British.

“There’s nowhere else I would want to live,” says Dan Fowler. “From the sense of freedom to the amazing nature on your doorstep... it’s just a great life. As 12-year-olds we were going off on our bikes for a day at the beach, or going fishing, and our parents had no worries about us being out on our own all day. The freedom was amazing.”

Nick and Dan reflect the large number of young Islanders who, having been educated abroad, return to make their lives – and insist that their beloved home remains British. Read more: Falkland Islands population determined to remain British - Mirror Online

Poor Brits trying to hang on to their Island, one of their last trophies from their colonial days.

1) The islanders want to be British. Therefore, in the opinion of all right-minded people, it would be wrong and cruel to hand them over to a country they don't want to be part of. If you are so against international laws on self-determination then you'lll have no problem in Britain taking back the vast swathes of Canadian territory it once owned. of course, it won't matter what most canadians think of the matter. We'll just ignore them.

2) The Falkland Islands are an independent, sovereign nation. You thinking that they should belong to Argentina would be like me saying that Canada should belong to the United States.

3) An Englishman was the first person to see the Falklands. That was way back in the 16th century, centuries before Argentina even existed. The British and the French also claimed and settled the islands at about the same time, long before the Spanish laid claim to them and long before Argentina even existed. Therefore Argentina's claim to the islands is very weak.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
States bought Alaska fair and square.

And Britain claimed, and settled, the Falkland Islands fair and square, when there was no such thing as Argentina.

Britain and France also claimed and settled the islands before the Spanish, Argentina's colonial masters, did. France then gave their portion of the islands to the Spanish. Fair enough. But then the Spanish, in the late 18th century, tried to kick the British off their part of the islands so that Spain can have them all, even though the British were there before the Spanish were!

Then Argentina was born and started saying that the islands belong to them, even though they had been British for decades.

And now Argentina is still claiming the islands are theirs even though, as I've already pointed out, Britain had them before Argentina even existed and despite the fact that Argentina has NEVER had the islands.

A similar analogy would be of the United States laying claim to the former British colony of the Bahamas, just because the islands are off the coast of Florida, even though the people of the islands don't want their nation becoming American.

I'm afraid to say that the Argentinians are in the wrong.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
1) The islanders want to be British. Therefore, in the opinion of all right-minded people, it would be wrong and cruel to hand them over to a country they don't want to be part of. If you are so against international laws on self-determination then you'lll have no problem in Britain taking back the vast swathes of Canadian territory it once owned. of course, it won't matter what most canadians think of the matter. We'll just ignore them.

2) The Falkland Islands are an independent, sovereign nation. You thinking that they should belong to Argentina would be like me saying that Canada should belong to the United States.

3) An Englishman was the first person to see the Falklands. That was way back in the 16th century, centuries before Argentina even existed. The British and the French also claimed and settled the islands at about the same time, long before the Spanish laid claim to them and long before Argentina even existed. Therefore Argentina's claim to the islands is very weak.

I'm not saying the Island isn't British, it's just funny how protective you are of your "rock".

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not saying the Island isn't British, it's just funny how protective you are of your "rock".

The Falkland Islanders are British, therefore Britain is right to want to protect them.

Also, Britain, unlike Argentina, is respecting UN laws of self-determination, which states that peoples such as the Falkland Islanders have the right to choose which country they want to belong to. As long as the Falkland Islanders wish to remain British then the islands will be British. And the more Argentina keeps sabre-rattling and being aggressive towards the islands the less likely it is that the islanders will ever want to beome Argentinian. The Argentinians are doing themselves no favours with their aggressivness towards a sovereign nation. The more and more they keep annoying the Falkland Islands the more and more the islands will wish their islands to be linked to Britain,

It is therefore Britain, not Argentina, which respects the wishes of the islanders.

Also, Britain is responsible for the islands' defence. Therefore Britain WILL do all it can to kick the Argies out of the islands should they launch another illegal invasion.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
And Britain claimed, and settled, the Falkland Islands fair and square, when there was no such thing as Argentina.
....​

I'm afraid to say that the Argentinians are in the wrong.

Who are you arguing with and why would I really care?

Afraid to say someone's wrong? What sort of Englishman are you? My grandmother would smack you with her stiff upper lip....;-)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I believe, two thousand years ago, Rome conquered what was then a nuisance of barbaric tribes off the French coast. I think Italy should lay claim to Britain; after all, empire is empire.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I believe, two thousand years ago, Rome conquered what was then a nuisance of barbaric tribes off the French coast. I think Italy should lay claim to Britain; after all, empire is empire.

Let's not forget the Saxons and the Danes!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Self determination? Palestine? Britain? Remember Ireland? India? Equitorial Africa?

Sorry, you are right, EagelSmack. Denmark rules!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sorry, you are right, EagelSmack. Denmark rules!

No need to be sorry. Rome did conquer Britain. Only unrest on the borders of Rome caused them to abandon the British Isles. The Britons were well on their way to becoming Roman before the Legions left.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Denmark it is! And, of course, the Danes will share with the French and Scandinavians. Danes aren't overly possessive,

Nunc, Britannia non est insula Romana.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Denmark it is! And, of course, the Danes will share with the French and Scandinavians. Danes aren't overly possessive,

The Viking Invaders came from many places in Northern Europe but it was the Danes that made up the bulk of them. I've read a lot on the Viking Invasions, Celtic Britain, Roman Britain, etc. Fascinating stuff.