Argentina to raise Falklands UK 'militarisation' at UN

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

So a few people on a desert island want Britain to do something that could cost british lives and Britain is all gung-ho to do it at any cost (how much have they spent since '82) modernizing the place, everybody got all the latest gagets for themselves and theit homes and ther properties.

The Falklands consist of almost 800 islands, and together make up a sovereign state - not a British colony - which is the size of Northern Ireland. The Falklands is not a desert island.

But Britain is responsible for the defence of the islands. Therefore it is perfectly justified in having military personnel, ships and planes on the islands to protect the islands from another illegal Argentine invasion. That military will only be moved once Argentina drops its unjustified claim to the islands and stops threatening the islands' people. If you don't like that, tough.

I also reckon that if any Falkland Islander is reading this they will be glad that the Falklands are British, not Canadian. They'll be rightly thinking that, had the islands been Canadian, Canada would have meekly surrendered the islands and their people to Argentina, even though Argentina claiming the Falklands (which are 300 miles from Argentina) would be like the USA claiming the Bahamas (which are just 50 miles from Florida).

In fact, had the islands been Canadian in 1982, and the Falkland Islanders had been Canadian citizens rather than British citizens, I would wager that, rather than fighting a war as Britain did to kick out the Argentines after their illegal invasion of the islands, the Canadians would have meekly handed over the islands and its people to the brutal, murderous military dictatorship of General Galtieri and left the islanders - Canadian citizens - to their fate.

So the islanders would be very relieved to know that their islands are British not Canadian.

lone wolf
Has that tea in Boston Harbour steeped enough yet?

Blackleaf
The Falkland Islanders have marked the upcoming 30th anniversary of the Falklands War by producing mugs poking fun at Argentina.

The islanders have started selling commemorative mugs which call Argentina the “Sea of S**t”.

A map of South America is printed on the mugs, which have been produced to mark the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

But where Argentina should be there is an expanse of water, with the new bay labelled Mierda Sea – Spanish for s**t.

The mugs were being sold at the popular Victory Bar pub in Stanley.

Meanwhile, about 50 Chileans living in the Falklands have protested over fears that Argentina will pressure its neighbour into cutting off their only air link with their homeland.

They waved Union Jacks and Chilean flags as they urged Chilean president Sebastian Pinera to resist any moves to suspend the weekly flight between the capital Santiago and the Falklands.

The flight uses Argentina’s airspace and makes a stop-off in Argentinian city Rio Gallegos.

Chile was an ally of Britain during the Falklands War.

And there were protests in Buenos Aires after the website of Falklands newspaper the Penguin News ran a photo of Argentina President Kirchner labelled "bitch".

Drag this to your Windows taskbar to enable special IE9 Features.

close (external - login to view)

Spade
Blackleaf, if you go to the Malvinas, pick me up a souvenir.

O, and if you go, you'll have to bring your own eggs and veggies.

This just in...
Anglican prelate confirms Argentina's claim.
Argentine primate Cardinal support's CFK's claims over Malvinas - BuenosAiresHerald.com (external - login to view)

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Blackleaf, if you go to the Malvinas, pick me up a souvenir.

O, and if you go, you'll have to bring your own eggs and veggies.

This just in...
Anglican prelate confirms Argentina's claim.
Argentine primate Cardinal support's CFK's claims over Malvinas - BuenosAiresHerald.com (external - login to view)

During the Falklands War I was a student at a trades school.

Now, I must confess, that in my younger years, I was on a mission to improve the quality of bathroom graffitti, and often left gems like:

"Pierre Elliot Trudeau was concieved through **** intercourse" on the walls of the stalls.......along with other well thought out political gems.

(My all-time favourite, from a UNB washroom, directly over the toilet paper: "BA Degrees. Take One")

Anyway, the janitorial staff was quick, and my words of wisdom rarely lasted an hour. Insulted, I resorted to paint, and did a wall sized mushroom cloud, captioned "Nuke Buenos Aires"

It took them two days to clear up that one.

Spade
Still resort to bathroom wisdom, Colpy? I thought you would have moved on to serviettes on the kitchen table by now.

MHz
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The Falklands consist of almost 800 islands, and together make up a sovereign state - not a British colony - which is the size of Northern Ireland. The Falklands is not a desert island.
But Britain is responsible for the defence of the islands. Therefore it is perfectly justified in having military personnel, ships and planes on the islands to protect the islands from another illegal Argentine invasion. That military will only be moved once Argentina drops its unjustified claim to the islands and stops threatening the islands' people. If you don't like that, tough.
I also reckon that if any Falkland Islander is reading this they will be glad that the Falklands are British, not Canadian. They'll be rightly thinking that, had the islands been Canadian, Canada would have meekly surrendered the islands and their people to Argentina, even though Argentina claiming the Falklands (which are 300 miles from Argentina) would be like the USA claiming the Bahamas (which are just 50 miles from Florida).
In fact, had the islands been Canadian in 1982, and the Falkland Islanders had been Canadian citizens rather than British citizens, I would wager that, rather than fighting a war as Britain did to kick out the Argentines after their illegal invasion of the islands, the Canadians would have meekly handed over the islands and its people to the brutal, murderous military dictatorship of General Galtieri and left the islanders - Canadian...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
By the sound of what they do with their spare time it is a mutual thing from my POV.

Perhaps it is time to start looking in Hudson's Bay for an island far enough offshore to be classified as being in international waters.

Spade
Baffin right!

damngrumpy
+1
Its pretty cut and dried, the islands belong to Britain because the guns on the ships are bigger
and the military is better trained. The UN should mind its own business. yes Britain has still
got colonies and will have as long as the people living in those areas wish to be British.
I for one don't see a problem here, as for flying flags of one nation or another, Argentina has
the right to say no you can't sail in our waters with a flag of a hostile nation, what is so wrong
about that. Are we so silly as to believe everyone on the planet has to be nice to each other?
Ask Iran and Israel, why can't we all just get along? Ask that question in the Arab countries
and see the response.
Nations do not have to like each other they do have to avoid armed conflict where possible
though for the safety of the planet. By the way Argentina should be careful, they might get
their fanny kicked again. The British get peeved when someone actually wants to take a piece
of territory off the chess board of nations as it were. Spain won't even thing about Gibraltar,
cause they know what the response would be.

Spade
I agree, Damngrumpy, except the hypocritical mouthings about self-determination when summarily denied "others" upon ideological or religious grounds is hard to stomach.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Its pretty cut and dried, the islands belong to Britain because the guns on the ships are bigger
and the military is better trained. The UN should mind its own business. yes Britain has still
got colonies and will have as long as the people living in those areas wish to be British.
I for one don't see a problem here, as for flying flags of one nation or another, Argentina has
the right to say no you can't sail in our waters with a flag of a hostile nation, what is so wrong
about that. Are we so silly as to believe everyone on the planet has to be nice to each other?
Ask Iran and Israel, why can't we all just get along? Ask that question in the Arab countries
and see the response.
Nations do not have to like each other they do have to avoid armed conflict where possible
though for the safety of the planet. By the way Argentina should be careful, they might get
their fanny kicked again. The British get peeved when someone actually wants to take a piece
of territory off the chess board of nations as it were. Spain won't even thing about Gibraltar,
cause they know what the response would be.

Both the Falklands and Gibraltar have been offered their independance but neither wanted it.
Nobody wants to live under threat of a possible Spanish or Argentinian invasion.

Spade
'The world can't tolerate any more ridiculous colonialism,' Sean Penn says after meeting CFK - BuenosAiresHerald.com (external - login to view)

MHz
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Both the Falklands and Gibraltar have been offered their independance but neither wanted it.
Nobody wants to live under threat of a possible Spanish or Argentinian invasion.

When was Palestine given the right to determine who would rule over them? The Brits certainly didn't care about 'those citizens' or a lot of others in her Empire that had brown skin and were never given citizenship, what were they, property?

EagleSmack
+1

In fact, had the islands been Canadian in 1982, and the Falkland Islanders had been Canadian citizens rather than British citizens, I would wager that, rather than fighting a war as Britain did to kick out the Argentines after their illegal invasion of the islands, the Canadians would have meekly handed over the islands and its people to the brutal, murderous military dictatorship of General Galtieri and left the islanders - Canadian citizens - to their fate.

So the islanders would be very relieved to know that their islands are British not Canadian.

How quickly you forget how many times the Canadians came to the aid of Britain when the Brits got themselves in a jam. How many tens of thousands died fighting "over there" under your crown?

Spade
+1
And the billions sent in aid in WW2, lest we forget. I tire of colonial prattle!

Lend-Lease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

During the Falklands War I was a student at a trades school.

Now, I must confess, that in my younger years, I was on a mission to improve the quality of bathroom graffitti, and often left gems like:

"Pierre Elliot Trudeau was concieved through **** intercourse" on the walls of the stalls.......along with other well thought out political gems.

(My all-time favourite, from a UNB washroom, directly over the toilet paper: "BA Degrees. Take One")

Anyway, the janitorial staff was quick, and my words of wisdom rarely lasted an hour. Insulted, I resorted to paint, and did a wall sized mushroom cloud, captioned "Nuke Buenos Aires"

It took them two days to clear up that one.

As a self-professed conservative, should you not respect property?

Ok, ok, fair enough, you were younger then and have become wiser. Still funny though to come across a conservatives who was into grafitti. Even at my leftist, I tended to oppose grafitti. Go figure.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

and the military is better trained.

Er, no! The islands belong to the Uk because the locals want to remain British, and the UN recognizes those islands as British territory.

According to your argument, any disputed land between Canada and the US belongs to the US because they have bigger guns, and any land disputed between Canada and Russia belongs to Russia because they have bigger guns. That's purely infantile thinking. Might does not make right.

Quote:

The UN should mind its own business. yes Britain has still

From my understanding, the UN has not challenged British control of the islands in the least. It merely offered to discuss the issue between the two parties as a standard practice to try to resolve the issue.

Spade
Even at my rightest, I still respected the property of others. "From each, according to his conscience, to each..."

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

When was Palestine given the right to determine who would rule over them? The Brits certainly didn't care about 'those citizens' or a lot of others in her Empire that had brown skin and were never given citizenship, what were they, property?

I can agree, but this thread is about the Falklands, isn't it?

Spade
Only 15 of the 700 Falkland/Malvinas Islands are inhabited. Hey, I have an idea...

Blackleaf
"Argentina is attempting to colonize a British colony on the basis that colonization is completely wrong."

A guest on a BBC Radio 5 Live show this week.

Quote:

The UN should mind its own business

What would the UN do anyway? Punish Britain for following UN laws of self-determination?

How bizarre that would be.

Machjo

"Argentina is attempting to colonize a British colony on the basis that colonization is completely wrong."

A guest on a BBC Radio 5 Live show this week.

What would the UN do anyway? Punish Britain for following UN laws of self-determination?

How bizarre that would be.

To the best of my knowledge, the UN never criticized the Uk anyway, but rather merely invited both parties to discuss the issue together, which would just be good diplomacy and I'm sure standard practice when such an issue arises.

But you're right, from what I can see Argentina has no claims to the Falklands and cannot even prevent the Uk from operating in international waters within the constraints of international law.

Blackleaf
Argentine intellectuals brand president Kirchner's Falklands policy absurd... and say islanders should be allowed to decide their own future

By Matt Roper
22nd February 2012
Daily Mail

Blow: President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner's policy on the Falklands has been branded 'crazy' and 'absurd' by intellects in Argentina

Argentina's president Cristina Kirchner was dealt a blow today after a group of leading Argentinians called on the government to respect the opinions of Falkland Islanders.

Seventeen of the countryís most respected writers, historians, law experts, politicians and journalists slammed the governmentís 'crazy' and 'absurd' policy on the archipelago.

A document signed by the intellectuals criticised Kirchner for her 'constant harrassment' of its residents and called on the government to let islanders decide their own future.

The intervention from some of Kirchnerís most influential contemporaries is the most significant challenge yet from within Argentina to the populist president, who has whipped up anti-British feeling to a fervour ahead of the 30th Anniversary of the Falklands War.

One of the documentís signatories, former Argentine deputy Fernando Iglesias, told Argentinaís Le Red radio: 'It seems crazy to me to try to think that Argentina will be stronger by imposing citizenship on a people who donít want it.

'I canít see how a country can impose on a group of 3,000 people, whose ancestors have been there for 180 years, a sovereign government, a citizenship, that they donít want.

'That to me is truly absurd.'

Respected writer Pepe Eliaschev claimed Argentinians would be hypocrites if they denied Falklanders the right to self-determination.

He added: 'Argentina wouldnít exist if not for self-determination, and this canít be valid for some but not for others.'

He also expressed his skepticism of Kirchnerís motives in bringing up the Falklands question just before the emotive anniversary.

Tensions: A banner that reads 'Brits get out of the Malvinas (Falkland Islands)' was draped on a fence outside the Government House in Buenos Aires but academics want to let islanders decide their future

He said: 'This new row has a lot of the artificial about it.

'Why would we start demanding negotiations over sovereignty of the Falklands right now 30 years since the war, and not 31 years or any other date?

'It seems that Argentina is incapable of looking critically at its tragic military adventure in the Falklands.

'It is now committing the same folly by thinking that the Falklands questions can somehow be magically resolved.'

Read more: Argentine intellectuals brand president Kirchner's Falklands policy absurd... and say islanders should be allowed to decided their own future | Mail Online

petros
+2
Self deterimination? That is pure evil!

Machjo

Argentine intellectuals brand president Kirchner's Falklands policy absurd... and say islanders should be allowed to decide their own future

By Matt Roper
22nd February 2012
Daily Mail

Blow: President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner's policy on the Falklands has been branded 'crazy' and 'absurd' by intellects in Argentina

Argentina's president Cristina Kirchner was dealt a blow today after a group of leading Argentinians called on the government to respect the opinions of Falkland Islanders.

Seventeen of the countryís most respected writers, historians, law experts, politicians and journalists slammed the governmentís 'crazy' and 'absurd' policy on the archipelago.

A document signed by the intellectuals criticised Kirchner for her 'constant harrassment' of its residents and called on the government to let islanders decide their own future.

The intervention from some of Kirchnerís most influential contemporaries is the most significant challenge yet from within Argentina to the populist president, who has whipped up anti-British feeling to a fervour ahead of the 30th Anniversary of the Falklands War.

One of the documentís signatories, former Argentine deputy Fernando Iglesias, told Argentinaís Le Red radio: 'It seems crazy to me to try to think that Argentina will be stronger by imposing citizenship on a people who donít want it.

'I canít see how a country can impose on a group of 3,000 people, whose ancestors have been there for 180 years, a sovereign government, a citizenship, that they donít want.

'That to me is truly absurd.'

Respected writer Pepe Eliaschev claimed Argentinians would be hypocrites if they denied Falklanders the right to self-determination.

He added: 'Argentina wouldnít exist if not for self-determination, and this canít be valid for some but not for others.'

He also expressed his skepticism of Kirchnerís motives in bringing up the Falklands question just before the emotive anniversary.

Tensions: A banner that reads 'Brits get out of the Malvinas (Falkland Islands)' was draped on a fence outside the Government House in Buenos Aires but academics want to let islanders decide their future

He said: 'This new row has a lot of the artificial about it.

'Why would we start demanding negotiations over sovereignty of the Falklands right now 30 years since the war, and not 31 years or any other date?

'It seems that Argentina is incapable of looking critically at its tragic military adventure in the Falklands.

'It is now committing the same folly by thinking that the Falklands questions can somehow be magically resolved.'

Read more: Argentine intellectuals brand president Kirchner's Falklands policy absurd... and say islanders should be allowed to decided their own future | Mail Online

Nationalists are the same the world over; seeking any irrational reason to pick a fight. And when patriotic intellectuals challenge them, those same intellectuals will probably be branded traitors or petty leftists, etc.

Sound familiar?

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Self deterimination? That is pure evil!

Didn't the Americans try that? Mind you there are fewer than 3000 Falkland Islanders. Could the village of Barra in Scotland (Similar population) declare its independence from Britain?

If Britain acknowleged self determination it never would have had an Empire!

EagleSmack

Didn't the Americans try that?

Try?

Spade
You succeeded? Does Blackleaf know?

EagleSmack

You succeeded? Does Blackleaf know?

No he thinks they won.

Just like a southerner told me once that the Confederates won the Battle of Gettysburg because the Rebs captured more Union cannons than the Yanks did.

Spade
+1
Geez, time to take out my Confederate dollars from the peanut butter jar.

For Blackleaf.

Argentine National Anthem English Subtitled - YouTube