Gay marriage ban overturned in California

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Jesus did not promote homosexuality.
Matthew 19:4-6

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made[a (external - login to view)] them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’[b (external - login to view)] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?[c (external - login to view)] 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

So? That's only one man's opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Freedom "from" religion? Nobody, at least in Canada, is subjected to any religion unless they choose to be.

Exactly. Any Canadian citizen has the right to practise any religion and those that choose to practise none, also have the right to do just that.

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Exactly. Any Canadian citizen has the right to practise any religion and those that choose to practise none, also have the right to do just that.

Unless they happen to be underage, unfortunately.

damngrumpy
+1
Homosexuality doesn't appear to be the prime motivation for the teachings of Christ.
He was about forgiveness and people understanding each other and getting along.
I don't have a problem with Christ anyway, I have a problem with those who believe
they are an authority and they know what Christ meant in all things.
Christ told people stories because the masses could not read and write and examples
were abundant in the teaching. For example the Good Samaritan story, most think the
miracle was that the Samaritan helped someone on the side of the road. I for one
believe the story was that there was a good Samaritan as they were a hated enemy.
Or we hear over and over that Christ fasted for forty days and nights on the desert.
Was it forty days? Remember in Middle Eastern languages some numbers have other
word meanings. In many the word Forty actually means many.
As for the California situation, the religious are overstepping their bounds here. Not
everyone in the State is of their ilk and the justice system chose to defend the interests of
all, including the Christians by declaring a law to be something other than just. When the
judiciary corrects such injustices they defend the rights of all in the long run.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Unless they happen to be underage, unfortunately.

Well, minors aren't supposed to be practising sex of any kind.

Cliffy
+1 / -1

You got it. See the thread on thumbs.

You know Walter, I have tried to be civil with you. I don't believe in calling someone a retarded, right wing, intolerant *******, even if they are.
Last edited by Cliffy; Feb 8th, 2012 at 07:51 PM..

WLDB

Well, the age of consent is below the age of majority.

L Gilbert

Well, the age of consent is below the age of majority.

True. 16 to be exact. But I see nothing in the charter that allows anyone to force any religion on anyone (or force one who doesn't believe to believe): www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/Re...s/prb993-e.htm (external - login to view)

Same thing for consenting kids 16 and over. The law says nothing about which gender should be consenting to whichever gender: www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/Re...s/prb993-e.htm (external - login to view)
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 8th, 2012 at 08:23 PM..

lone wolf

Some of 'em do more than just practice....

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Some of 'em do more than just practice....

Ya think, Sherlock? lol

Tonington
+5

Prop 8 was legally on the ballot in 2010.

So? That doesn't mean Prop 8 is legal...governments can pass unlawful legislation using lawful procedures.

WLDB

True. 16 to be exact. But I see nothing in the charter that allows anyone to force any religion on anyone (or force one who doesn't believe to believe): Canada's Legal Age of Consent to Sexual Activity (PRB99-3E) (external - login to view)

Its implied with the whole parental rights thing. I was baptized without consent and my parents spent well over a decade trying to indoctrinate me. Instead, they alienated me.

gerryh
+1

Its implied with the whole parental rights thing. I was baptized without consent and my parents spent well over a decade trying to indoctrinate me. Instead, they alienated me.

Ahhhhhh.... you poor poor thing. Psychologically abused were ya?

L Gilbert

Same here. I turned atheist at 15, though. Either way, I think the courts would support even young teens right to self-determination.

no new posts