Very large prawn caught off New Zealand


#juan
#1
Scientists have captured a "supergiant" crustacean in waters seven kilometres deep off New Zealand, measuring 20 times the normal size of related species. Mor news when I find it.

Video: Super-sized prawn caught off New Zealand coast - The Globe and Mail
 
spaminator
+1
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Scientists have captured a "supergiant" crustacean in waters seven kilometres deep off New Zealand, measuring 20 times the normal size of related species. Mor news when I find it.

Video: Super-sized prawn caught off New Zealand coast - The Globe and Mail

its something very mysterious to stumble uprawn.
 
captain morgan
#3
It sure is a nasty looking little bugger.
 
#juan
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

It sure is a nasty looking little bugger.

To wax optimistic a little bit, Those prawns would be like a smaller lobster...without the claws.
I could live with that....
 
SLM
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

It sure is a nasty looking little bugger.

It is, usually I like prawns but they don't look all that palatable to me.
 
Cannuck
#6
It's caused by the nuclear disaster in Japan. Within the year one of these things will come ashore in Japan and destroy Tokyo. I bet they make a movie about it.
 
L Gilbert
#7
Oh boy. I can imagine prawn boats flocking there by the hundred now to clean up that mess of those grim looking things. Kind of like what happened to our coastal abalone (pinto abalone). They're protected now.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

It's caused by the nuclear disaster in Japan. Within the year one of these things will come ashore in Japan and destroy Tokyo. I bet they make a movie about it.

Prawnzillas? Cool.
 
captain morgan
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

It is, usually I like prawns but they don't look all that palatable to me.


I'm with you on that... But I will contend that they are a wonderful treat every so often
 
SLM
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I'm with you on that... But I will contend that they are a wonderful treat every so often

To be honest though most things that come out of the ocean are not too pretty to look at in their raw state.

Cook 'em up though and it's a very different story, lol.
 
Tonington
#10
They aren't prawns...more like giant sand fleas. Amphipoda is a separate Order from Decapoda.
 
Goober
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

They aren't prawns...more like giant sand fleas. Amphipoda is a separate Order from Decapoda.

Sautéed they would be tasty as hell. No concern who and what they are related to.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

They aren't prawns...more like giant sand fleas. Amphipoda is a separate Order from Decapoda.

AHAH! Tokyo's going to be wiped out by giant bugs again! Cool.
 
Tonington
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Sautéed they would be tasty as hell.

Maybe. Let us know if you ever vacation down in Kiwi land
 
Goober
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Maybe. Let us know if you ever vacation down in Kiwi land

Well would you eat it?
 
L Gilbert
#15
Toss one here. I'll eat it.
 
Tonington
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Well would you eat it?

I'll try pretty much anything once. In some cases though, I wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig.
 
Goober
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I'll try pretty much anything once. In some cases though, I wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig.

Friend of mine had monkey brains. Not me. How about you?
 
L Gilbert
#18
I'd taste. So far, I haven't been impressed with the flavor of brains, though.
 
Tonington
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Friend of mine had monkey brains. Not me. How about you?

Nope. Not into brain tissue...risky.
 
L Gilbert
#20
lmao Mad Monkey disease?
 
bill barilko
+1
#21
5 pounds of Butter and 10 heads of Garlic for that morsel!
 
Cliffy
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Friend of mine had monkey brains. Not me. How about you?

Raw or cooked?
 
shadowshiv
#23
I'm sure they would be tasty with copious amounts of shrimp sauce!
 
captain morgan
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

They aren't prawns...more like giant sand fleas. Amphipoda is a separate Order from Decapoda.


That description somehow makes these creatures even more monstrous in my imagination.

Yikes!
 

Similar Threads

21
Finnacial advisers suk large
by Dreadful Nonsense | Aug 16th, 2007
30
Large Cities, Large Fear
by Lifestream | Jan 27th, 2006
0
Civilization 3: Large Review
by Gamer | Aug 27th, 2002
no new posts