RCMP struggling to fill jobs

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
RCMP struggling to fill jobs, internal documents show Internal RCMP documents show the force scrambling to fill jobs in B.C. despite years of warnings that chronic understaffing is putting police and the public at risk.
One in 10 Mountie positions in B.C. sits empty, says a management report obtained by the Times Colonist. Jobs left unfilled due to medical, parental and other forms of extended leave push the vacancy rate to almost 16 per cent provincewide and to 17.4 per cent on Vancouver Island.
It raises the question of how the RCMP would come up with the officers to create a new 35-member detachment in Esquimalt, should the provincial government agree to that municipality's decision to do so.
"We've been trying to do more with less for decades. The work doesn't go away, it just gets spread on fewer people," said Carleton University professor Linda Duxbury, who wrote a 2007 report that said the over-tasked, underresourced RCMP was making its officers sick. "It is on the backs of the members. There's simply not enough resources to do everything."
A separate but similar 2007 report warned that the RCMP risked burning out its members because their workload was growing while the number of resources thinned.
Yet it's clear the problem has not been addressed in many areas of B.C., with detachments regularly calling in officers on overtime or having to borrow members from other detachments to reach minimum staffing levels.
But RCMP brass aren't willing to acknowledge shortages are affecting front-line policing.
"I just don't see it as a systemic problem in our ability to deliver the services with the resources we have," said Chief Supt. Kevin DeBruyckere, in charge of career development and resourcing for E Division, which covers B.C.
When asked if the shortages pose a public safety concern, DeBruyckere said: "No, I don't think so, given our ability to quickly deploy officers if an immediate need is identified."
Staff Sgt. Scott Warren, who represents the Island's Mounties on labour matters, is concerned. "Any vacancy rate is unacceptable if it affects officer safety and, as a result, public safety."
Warren said the situation is more dire when taking into account members on extended leave. "We don't have the manpower to back-fill those positions, so the vacancy rate becomes even bigger."
The vacancy numbers come from an internal RCMP management report obtained through an access-to-information request.
The force has closely guarded its vacancy statistics. It was one of the issues explored in a recent audit by the province's police services division prior to B.C. agreeing to a new 20-year contract with the Mounties. The province has refused to release the audit.
The numbers obtained by the Times Colonist outline the RCMP's strength in B.C. in October 2011.
Ten per cent of the 7,226 police jobs in E Division were unfilled, with extended leave pushing the total to 16.0 per cent.
On Vancouver Island, which is supposed to have 743 officers, the vacancy rate was just six per cent, but with 95 officers on extended leave the total rose to 128, or 17.4 per cent.
Liberal Senator Colin Kenny, who has said for years the national force is understaffed by 5,000 to 7,000 officers, said the officer shortage will get worse in years to come as more senior officers retire.
Instead of the Conservative government passing tougher laws which will put more people behind bars, it should be investing in more national police officers to prevent crime, Kenny said.
"You have a federal government that prides itself on law and order but starves the Mounties," Kenny said.
"I'd rather see extra money for the RCMP to prevent the crime from happening, rather than paying for prisons to put people after they're arrested."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They should lower the standards more.

At the very least, it would the Police State special interest shills something to whine about on the net.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
That may not be possible.......the rest of the people in Canada may not understand what British Columbia has to deal with regarding the RCMP

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That may not be possible.......the rest of the people in Canada may not understand what British Columbia has to deal with regarding the RCMP
That's why we have the Police State special interest shills, to keep us up to date on the Police State. Even in BC.

There's even a thread, started by one of the resident Police State shills.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol Lowering the standards as far as physical stats goes maybe, but I think the standards in psychological assessments are about as low as they could safely be. Who the frack wants a bunch of Wyatt Earps wandering around? Not me, for damned sure.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is wrong. There is not a shortage of mounties. Rather much of their energies are misdirected at silly things like their green team, revenue generating chores like seatbelt checks and harassing motorists trying to get to work on time and having to act as social workers. On top of that individual mounties waste much time often at OT sitting in court rooms waiting to testify at trivial cases.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
They should lower the standards more.

At the very least, it would the Police State special interest shills something to whine about on the net.

Christ, Bear, they're scraping the bottom now. They seem to employ thugs, degenerates, taserers and killers.

Seems, if one cans say "OK" one's in!!

"OK now, put your hands behind your back OK?
OK now spread your legs, OK?
Wider...................OK?
Not THAT wide. I'm gettin horny, OK?

:canada:(somebody stole my horsey)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That is wrong. There is not a shortage of mounties. Rather much of their energies are misdirected at silly things like their green team, revenue generating chores like seatbelt checks and harassing motorists trying to get to work on time and having to act as social workers. On top of that individual mounties waste much time often at OT sitting in court rooms waiting to testify at trivial cases.

Yup, we have a ridiculously low crime rate here and six cops. If you had them deal with real crime instead of generating revenue we could easily get away with 3. Actually, 2 could do the job if they were willing to be on call more.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
To start with in BC the standards can't be lowered anymore than they already are.
In addition the police should be out there catching speeders on their way to work.
These people should leave earlier if they can't make it on time. It is those people
who think they can do anything in traffic that cause serious injury and death out
there on the roads.
They do have to sometimes be social workers, oh not so much for the drunk offenders
but for the kids and wives caught in the middle. They need to be protected. I think the
police are asked to do some things that don't fit into their field though, and that is where
we need changes to the law. The mass for raids on small grow ops that have little in
strategic value in the scheme of things.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
How come I never got beaten up by RCMP?

I am not going to tell you anything about big giant fat frikkin' fat Vancouver dyke cops. On important levels of social organization I'm just going to sit in my corner and sulk about that dyke who will be reconstituted as a walrus in the next life..

But that's not enough.

Am I the only nuthole to have read the mandate on the wall when hauled in. It says somewhere around the third sentence they are allowed to be preventive.

In my case it was because I did something super-stupid.

Pretend you're in charge of a nuclear reactor and they hear you make a pot-deal over the phone... kind'a thing. I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm just speaking hypothetically.

Details were dealt with. The most beautiful french-Canadian with long dark hair and healthy lips and flesh (probably dyke) officer drilled me.

Power supply died in the building. I *had* been under a single light. Now we were stuck in dark.

I told her to check the door. From her reaction I could tell she had not been prepared for it. Either that or she was an actress hired in a play way beyond my value.

The interview was moved to an office.

She asked if I had ever done acid. I'd been brought in on reports of me dealing acid, which I hadn't done in seven years, at which point I could tell their concern was something else.

I told her if I ever had, it had turned me into a hare, such that it would explain why when doing late-summer partying I liked to dig into gardens and eat fresh carrots and peas, whereupon I would always get taken back to the main party center and fed more ethanol. I told her I would have to do another hit of acid to get out-of-and-over-it in order to stop being a rabbit.

She looked back at me with that long flowing dark hair with her perfect toned skin with rosey cheeks and perfectly toned lips, asking me if I loved my job.

I told her yes.

They let me go.

Two days later a Chinese daughter of a diplomat got killed by a crossbow, so in order to demonstrate that I was happier living here than in Darfur I turned in scientific evidence showing how crossbows are useful against people wearing bulletproof armour, such is the life of being the daughter of a diplomat.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I sure wouldn't want to sign up. Think about it. A lot of these guys sign on thinking they will be altruistic and a benefit to society fighting against the criminal element and find out they have to get a lobotomy and become a thugish revenue collector for a bunch of idiots who call themselves a government. I sympathize with most of them who wanted to be 'peace officers' and have wound up tasering innocent pros who only want to express displeasure at the current situation.