Queen attends church on the eve of her 60th Diamond Jubilee Anniversary

Blackleaf
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip and other royals attended church today, the day before the Queen's 60th anniversary as monarch.

Tomorrow will not only be 60 years to the day that Elizabeth came to the Throne but, rather emotionally for the monarch, the 60th anniversary of her father, King George VI's, death.

Elizabeth was in Kenya when she became Queen on 6th February 1952. She was just 25 years old. She and her husband, Prince Philip, returned to their Kenyan home, Sagana Lodge, after a night spent at Treetops Hotel, when word arrived of the death of Elizabeth's father. Philip broke the news to the new queen. Martin Charteris asked her to choose a regnal name; she chose to remain Elizabeth, "of course". She was proclaimed queen throughout her realms, and the royal party hastily returned to the United Kingdom.

Today, the Queen and Prince Philip joined the congregation at West Newton Church in the heart of the sovereign's private Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh took time to meet well-wishers outside the church

St Peter and St Paul in West Newton looked picturesque under a four-inch blanket of snow.

The Queen wore a golden brown Angela Kelly overcoat and matching hat with fur trim and the Duke a camel coat against sub-zero temperatures.

After a 45-minute service led by the Rev Jonathan Riviere, the Queen received flowers from waiting children before a short visit to a local Sunday school class.

The Queen and Philip are coming to the end of their traditional winter break at Sandringham.

Their time at the estate has also provided the Duke with the opportunity to convalesce after he was successfully treated at hospital for a blocked coronary artery just before Christmas.

After church Philip, a life member of the Royal British Legion, had been due travel to nearby King's Lynn to take the salute at the 90th anniversary parade of the King's Lynn and District branch.

The parade was cancelled because of the snow.

The monarch's Diamond Jubilee will be celebrated tomorrow - Accession Day - when her reign reaches the milestone of 60 years.

But February 6 is always tinged with sadness for the Queen as it is the day her father George VI died and she became sovereign.

The Queen usually spends the day privately but has two engagements planned for tomorrow.

The Queen's accession will be marked by a series of events this year

The monarch will visit King's Lynn Town Hall, where she will meet staff from the building and Borough Council, and view some historical artefacts in the Stone Hall.

She has also been invited to Dersingham Infant and Nursery School where she will tour the institution meeting pupils and staff before watching a play about her 60 years as sovereign performed by the children.

As the Queen left the village hall members of the public gave her three cheers to celebrate her 60 years on the throne.

Royals attend church service ahead of Diamond Jubilee - Telegraph (external - login to view)

Spade
I am certain someone will find this interesting.

taxslave
+1 / -1
Did she $hit today? Millions want to know.

PoliticalNick
+3 / -1
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Did she $hit today? Millions want to know.

We know she doesn't sh*t. She has a servant do it for her at taxpayer's expense.

L Gilbert
Fascinating. Anyone have the stats on how much water she drinks in a day? How many buttons are on her coat and how many she actually employs?

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I am certain someone will find this interesting.

I am sorry, Blackleaf, I was wrong.

talloola
+2
congratulations to the queen, it is interesting to me.

Spade
I spoke too soon.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I spoke too soon.

You can take solace in the fact that you are in a majority. Do not despair, cousin.

Spade
An interesting fact from Britain's version of Radio Free Europe - the BBC; quote:

"She later introduced a new breed of dog known as the "dorgi" when one of her four-legged friends mated with a dachshund belonging to Princess Margaret."

Walter
Long may she reign.

PoliticalNick
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Long may she reign.

What the F*ck is your major malfunction in life Walter. All you do is give negative ratings. If you don't like something ignore it and move on or post a response with some intelligent argument. What you do now is completely childish and cowardly.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

What the F*ck is your major malfunction in life Walter. All you do is give negative ratings. If you don't like something ignore it and move on or post a response with some intelligent argument. What you do now is completely childish and cowardly.

That's how Walt rolls, he's King Coward of the forum.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

That's how Walt rolls, he's King Coward of the forum.

I would disagree. Walter is too self important to lower himself to comment. Neg reps are all that us peons are worth from his most holy finger.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Long may she reign.

We are NOT amused.

Spade
Another interesting Quick Queen Query.
Q: How many times does she wear one of her countless hats?
A: No more than 25.
- source on request...

no new posts