Woodchuck Week Begins February 2

Spade
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
Woodchucks across Canada were probed and pushed this morning into meteorological musings. Woodchuck Wiarton Willie was optimistic winter wood be short; however, Winnipeg Willow and Balzac Billy demured..
CP24- Groundhog Day: Wiarton Willie predicts early spring (external - login to view)
As woodchuck fanciers, Canadians have honoured this species by naming a ski resort in Jasper after the rodent - Marmot.

So, to help celebrate, I was wondering if we could exchange woodchuck recipies. Let me begin...
Groundhog / Woodchuck Recipes (external - login to view)

Or perhaps a video or two of our favourite whistle pig in the wild?

PS to the Watchers...
Should this thread have been posted in Juan's Kitchen?

mentalfloss
+1
I just realized the woodchuck twister also works for groundhogs. Mind blown!

Spade

Obnoxious Groundhog - YouTube

Cannuck
+1
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UJjvAmj6AGw#! (external - login to view)

spaminator
+1

Spade
+1

Woodchucks - GEICO Commercial - YouTube

SLM
+1

Hinterland Whos Who - Woodchuck - YouTube

Spade
+1

How Much Wood would a Woodchuck Chuck A tongue twister song By Bryant Oden - YouTube

The Groundhog Song from First Snow in the Woods - YouTube

55Mercury
+2
What the question on everyone's minds should be is...

did Scar-burrow-dug see his shadow today?

and is he having a happy birthday?

jus' sayin'

Spade
You wood think Torontonians wood celebrate with woodchuck patties in tomato sauce.
woodchuck recipes, cooking woodchuck - Wild Life Recipes (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

So, to help celebrate, I was wondering if we could exchange woodchuck recipies. Let me begin...
Groundhog / Woodchuck Recipes (external - login to view)

Or perhaps a video or two of our favourite whistle pig in the wild?

PS to the Watchers...
Should this thread have been posted in Juan's Kitchen?

Groundhog steak (Ingredients: 1 groundhog Method: serve blue and eat):

Spade
I hope my fellow posters did not stay up too late last night celebrating the start of National Woodchuck Week.

I know here, on Aether Island, revellers dressed in woodchuck costumes wood walk with eyes covered to stand underneath the street lamps. Then, uncovering their eyes, they wood look down at their shadows, and run screaming into the darkness. Great fun!

The churches held special services in praise of the Great Woodchuck. Good ole boys barbequed woodchuck burgers from the tailgates of halftons parked near the site of Woodchuck Stadium - a white elephant some ne'erdowell bellyachers claim!

Anyway, the best to all during this great winter carnival week!
Last edited by Spade; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 11:04 AM..

Spade

DrEdgar Mitchell interview Day before Disclosure - YouTube

Dear woodchuck,

Hey, that's Edgar, not a woodchuck.

Spade
Had your winter Phil? Check Groundhog Day forecasts - World - CBC News

Cliffy
+1
We have already had a week long thaw and another week is in the forecast. Still colder than a witch's teat up there on Aether Island?

Ron in Regina
+2
I heard the Groundhog out here instantly froze to the ground, & then was covered
by blowing snow from the 80km/h gusts this morning. Not sure if it saw it's shadow
or not at this point.

Spade
Winter on Aether Island is over six months long. In July, campers here use icicles as tent pegs. You should come in August for the ice-sculpture festival.
Today, it is a warm snowfall. Monday's blizzard was a cruel minus 28.

Ron in Regina
This morning it was only -10c (the cold snap broke, & we went a full 24hrs without
extreme windchill warnings, or temp warnings, etc...) and it was almost calm out
between the 70-80km/h wind gusts tossing around the snow. Shoveled the walk
(& the neighbours too) earlier today....& he later dug out the snowblower and did
his (& mine) again as they'd already blown in....& it's only mid-afternoon. I hear you.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

I heard the Groundhog out here instantly froze to the ground, & then was covered
by blowing snow from the 80km/h gusts this morning. Not sure if it saw it's shadow
or not at this point.

He'll probably be able to report on that in about 6 to 8 weeks or so.

Spade
On Aether Island we love the Grand Delusion- calling December 21st the first day of winter.

SLM
In SWO we cling to the delusion that the January thaw is the start of something better.

Gets us every time.

damngrumpy
I go by that Phil guy on Cobblers Knob he says early spring and that is good enough for me.
He is old been doing this for a long time not even grey haired yet so I go by what he says.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

He'll probably be able to report on that in about 6 to 8 weeks or so.

That's 'bout right, I guess. I could get it out quick like with a tiger torch....but it wouldn't
be telling any tales. When Spring comes, it usually comes quick, & we've got lots of
snow this year, so there will be new lakes & rivers everywhere. Last year was
so nice that I'll skip it in getting an idea when Spring will hit.

Looked back at some pic's from 2010. This is a good indicator. First one is Mid-March:

....and this one is from April 4th, 2010...only a few weeks later:

(P.S.....It plates out nicer than it looks on a spit, & that's when Spring really hits out here)

Spade
+1
Wow, that is a BIG WOODCHUCK. You don't bbq the ears?

gopher

He's got the smarts & rodent power!