Woodchuck Week Begins February 2

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Woodchucks across Canada were probed and pushed this morning into meteorological musings. Woodchuck Wiarton Willie was optimistic winter wood be short; however, Winnipeg Willow and Balzac Billy demured..
CP24- Groundhog Day: Wiarton Willie predicts early spring
As woodchuck fanciers, Canadians have honoured this species by naming a ski resort in Jasper after the rodent - Marmot.

So, to help celebrate, I was wondering if we could exchange woodchuck recipies. Let me begin...
Groundhog / Woodchuck Recipes

Or perhaps a video or two of our favourite whistle pig in the wild?

PS to the Watchers...
Should this thread have been posted in Juan's Kitchen?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I just realized the woodchuck twister also works for groundhogs. Mind blown!

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
What the question on everyone's minds should be is...

did Scar-burrow-dug see his shadow today?

and is he having a happy birthday?

jus' sayin'

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So, to help celebrate, I was wondering if we could exchange woodchuck recipies. Let me begin...
Groundhog / Woodchuck Recipes

Or perhaps a video or two of our favourite whistle pig in the wild?

PS to the Watchers...
Should this thread have been posted in Juan's Kitchen?
Groundhog steak (Ingredients: 1 groundhog Method: serve blue and eat):

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I hope my fellow posters did not stay up too late last night celebrating the start of National Woodchuck Week.

I know here, on Aether Island, revellers dressed in woodchuck costumes wood walk with eyes covered to stand underneath the street lamps. Then, uncovering their eyes, they wood look down at their shadows, and run screaming into the darkness. Great fun!

The churches held special services in praise of the Great Woodchuck. Good ole boys barbequed woodchuck burgers from the tailgates of halftons parked near the site of Woodchuck Stadium - a white elephant some ne'erdowell bellyachers claim!

Anyway, the best to all during this great winter carnival week!

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I heard the Groundhog out here instantly froze to the ground, & then was covered
by blowing snow from the 80km/h gusts this morning. Not sure if it saw it's shadow
or not at this point.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Winter on Aether Island is over six months long. In July, campers here use icicles as tent pegs. You should come in August for the ice-sculpture festival.
Today, it is a warm snowfall. Monday's blizzard was a cruel minus 28.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This morning it was only -10c (the cold snap broke, & we went a full 24hrs without
extreme windchill warnings, or temp warnings, etc...) and it was almost calm out
between the 70-80km/h wind gusts tossing around the snow. Shoveled the walk
(& the neighbours too) earlier today....& he later dug out the snowblower and did
his (& mine) again as they'd already blown in....& it's only mid-afternoon. I hear you.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I heard the Groundhog out here instantly froze to the ground, & then was covered
by blowing snow from the 80km/h gusts this morning. Not sure if it saw it's shadow
or not at this point.

He'll probably be able to report on that in about 6 to 8 weeks or so.