Fox News, 10 Years on Top

L Gilbert
Fox News isn't so different from ABC, NBC, CBC, etc. It's the silly editorials from Silly Willy O'Reilly, Glenn Frothing-mouth Beck, etc. that are nuts.

gopher
Quote:

quoting Eagle,

You need to "combine" ALL of the other's ratings and compare it to FOX... so therefore FOX is not #1?

No Eagle - read it again: of the ten or so major news sources, when you combine all other 9, their numbers in total FAR exceed Fox. If, as the right wing pundits say, total numbers prove which is the better news source, then since Fox is outnumbered by a long shot, it cannot possibly be best. But dream on .....

Kreskin
BBC and CNN are far ahead in online news traffic.

damngrumpy
Every time news medial becomes the subject I wonder how many people discussing
the subject have been in a newsroom or worked in a newsroom. How many really
believe the management or owners dictate the content of the news?
Well I have worked in a news room in fact many years ago well forty two years ago
I was a news director for a while. First of all the news follows the five W's
who
where
why
what
when.
From there the story is searched out principles identifies, and statements taken to build
the story The characters often dictate who comes out the winner here. For example the
person who is right might be such a moron he loses credibility with the audience and
unfortunately that is the belief that perception is true not always reality that is true.
Bob Ford in Toronto is a prime example. He likely is right sometimes but his actions and
previous actions have produce an image that will eventually destroy him.
No management does not interfere in the day to day run in electronic media and the ones
that sometimes do end up with a backlash that ends up being exposed. No, no one gets
fired its just the credibility of the news outlet comes into question. Another thing that does
damage is putting news out there that is untrue and the public finds out. Anne Coulter has
lost a lot of FOX influence over the years.
What usually happens if like minds congregate in a media room, on radio or television and
the view leans a little one way or the other. I liked it where there was both a left and right
slant at times because it tended to give the story texture as it was retold. Personal attitudes
are always part of what humans do and news is no exception. As someone who tends to
look at left right and center it was sometimes frustrating but the story should be the focus
with its plus and minus features and all its warts.
Newspapers are a little different, they present a left right bias depending on who the editor
is and that is part of history itself.
That is how the news arrives for your eyes and ears. I hope I have enlightened some and
challenged others.

Cliffy
FOX may be on top, but who is zooming who? I hear Bubba likes to dominate too.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Every time news medial becomes the subject I wonder how many people discussing
the subject have been in a newsroom or worked in a newsroom. How many really
believe the management or owners dictate the content of the news?
Well I have worked in a news room in fact many years ago well forty two years ago
I was a news director for a while. First of all the news follows the five W's
who
where
why
what
when.
From there the story is searched out principles identifies, and statements taken to build
the story The characters often dictate who comes out the winner here. For example the
person who is right might be such a moron he loses credibility with the audience and
unfortunately that is the belief that perception is true not always reality that is true.
Bob Ford in Toronto is a prime example. He likely is right sometimes but his actions and
previous actions have produce an image that will eventually destroy him.
No management does not interfere in the day to day run in electronic media and the ones
that sometimes do end up with a backlash that ends up being exposed. No, no one gets
fired its just the credibility of the news outlet comes into question. Another thing that does
damage is putting news out there that is untrue and the public finds out. Anne Coulter has
lost a lot of FOX influence over the years.
What usually happens if like minds congregate in a media room, on radio or television and
the view leans a little one way or the other. I liked it where there was both a left and right
slant at times because it tended to give the story texture as it was retold. Personal attitudes
are always part of what humans do and news is no exception. As someone who tends to
look at left right and center it was sometimes frustrating but the story should be the focus
with its plus and minus features and all its warts.
Newspapers are a little different, they present a left right bias depending on who the editor
is and that is part of history itself.
That is how the news arrives for your eyes and ears. I hope I have enlightened some and
challenged others.

To a point, you're right. But you didn't cover some of it; like sensationalism in the news. I was thoroughly disgusted quite a few years back when CTV called Gretzky a hero. I thought, "Really? Did he risk his own life to save someone else's life?"
And why do stupid questions appear in the news? For instance, CTV was covering a fire in a home one time and the stunned jackass of a reporter asked the women whose home was burning how she felt. Hint; she wasn't happy. lol

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

No Eagle - read it again: of the ten or so major news sources, when you combine all other 9, their numbers in total FAR exceed Fox. If, as the right wing pundits say, total numbers prove which is the better news source, then since Fox is outnumbered by a long shot, it cannot possibly be best. But dream on .....

So you need to combine every other networks news ratings to beat FOX?

Hey the St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series last year. Lets combine everyone elses Runs Scored in the NL Central Division and the Cardinals don't even even make the playoffs!

Sorry... it doesn't work that way.

FOX is #1 year after year... after year.

That must kill you.
Last edited by EagleSmack; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 08:18 AM..

Cannuck
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

BBC and CNN are far ahead in online news traffic.

TV news channels are has beens. The younger generations aren't much interested in them. I can't honestly remember the last time I watched any of them (maybe when SunTV first came on). The Faux fans are celebrating that their channel is the best. That's like Toshiba celebrating that their VCR's are the best on the market.

EagleSmack
+2
More like the usuals are whinning that they are #1.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Can you name another sport with more than 6 billion viewers per year? If not, then how do you know that claim is wrong? 6 billion viewers could make WWE #1. I don't even consider WWE to be a sport, just like I don't consider FoxNews to be news.

You're the one who made the claim,and now you can't support that claim.

You're misinformed. That sort of makes your point in this thread null by saying others are misinformed.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The FOX network is more entertainment than serious news. CNN is a more rounded
network though it too has its problems. It is possible to give a left or right wing vent,
but it is not alright to go over the deep end either way. News people and networks
that do that I turn away from. And turning away takes up more and more of my time.

FOX whipped CNN too.

DurkaDurka
+3 / -1
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call any of the US cable news channels "news". It's mostly opinion based shows filled with partisan "experts" mixed in with some breaking news. I swear, some people have allegiance to news channels like it's an NFL team they love, it's quite ridiculous.

Adding your negs again I see Walter, are you too bloody dumb to come up with a response to what I said? Inbred fool.

DaSleeper
+2
I still remember those old news shows where some condescending stuffed shirt told you what the news were, an no one dared dispute what he said....
I'd much rather hear someone who makes no bones about where she stands like Rachel Maddow...then turn around and watch another point of view on fox or CNN or Sun......then ....make up my own mind..

In Canada CBC still has those condescending stuffed shirts (or dresses) that pretend to be the only ones giving you the news....but hey...they're a liberal nest. And of course liberals don't like to be contradicted...hence the title "Condescending"

gopher
+1
Quote:

FOX is #1 year after year... after year.

That must kill you.

It has been conclusively proven that people who don't watch news are more informed about events than are your peers who watch Faux.

That REALLY kills you.

L Gilbert
Anyway, all that is shown by Fox being #1 watched news is that most people watch Fox news. It doesn't mean Fox's news covers more, is more accurate, etc. than anyone else's news.

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Anyway, all that is shown by Fox being #1 watched news is that most people watch Fox news. It doesn't mean Fox's news covers more, is more accurate, etc. than anyone else's news.

Careful - or you'll hurt Eagle's sensitive feelings and bruise his vulnerable ego.

L Gilbert
+1
lol Oh, well. I think Eag has a skin. He'll get over it.

Bar Sinister
It seems to me that the myth of FOX NEWS being number one was dispelled months ago in another thread. However, for those who have short memories here are the figures for the end of January. NBC News leads with 9,250,000 viewers, followed by ABC News with 8,228,000, and finally CBS News with 6,689,000. FOX? Who knows? But it certainly isn't in the top three.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

It seems to me that the myth of FOX NEWS being number one was dispelled months ago in another thread. However, for those who have short memories here are the figures for the end of January. NBC News leads with 9,250,000 viewers, followed by ABC News with 8,228,000, and finally CBS News with 6,689,000. FOX? Who knows? But it certainly isn't in the top three.

Not sure if you noticed but most of the FOX fans are also religious types. Could be a correlation there somewhere.

L Gilbert
Fox's claim to fame is according to the Nielsen ratings. Like I said, it means very little. Ratings just means more people watch a particular channel for a certain genre more than the others. It doesn't mean the channel is any better. All it is is popularity.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

In the OP link it says FOX leads cable news. The networks you have listed are available without cable.

Cannuck
Onswipe (external - login to view)

EagleSmack
Make it Thirteen!

Fox News Channel Wins 13th Consecutive Year As Most Watched Cable News Network | Deadline (external - login to view)

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Make it Thirteen!

Fox News Channel Wins 13th Consecutive Year As Most Watched Cable News Network | Deadline (external - login to view)

Gopher's panties will be uselessly knotted.....

Cliffy

wwwyoutubecomwatchvwvVPdyYeaQU

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Gopher's panties will be uselessly knotted.....

And it gets better.

MSNBC chief eyes changes to fix ratings | New York Post (external - login to view)

MSNBC’s ratings slide suggests that Griffin’s making the network “the place to go for progressives” has outlived its usefulness as an audience builder.

And...

A Pew Research study last year identified MSNBC as the most opinionated news network, with factual reporting accounting for just 15 percent of its content.

MSNBC is 15% Factual! And Gopher lives by it! Is it any wonder why we all laugh our azzes off when he posts his nonsense.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

wwwyoutubecom

That's what I call a pontificating armchair philosopher