Fox News, 10 Years on Top


TenPenny
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

"We paid $3 billion for these television stations. We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is!"
-- alleged comment by David Boylan, station manager for Fox Tampa Bay (WTVT Ch 13) to two reporters who are currently suing the network for firing them and censoring a story about the use of bovine growth hormone in Florida cows.


Umm, you do understand, I hope, that the REPORTERS don't decide what gets reported and broadcast.
 
EagleSmack
+3
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

-- alleged comment by David Boylan, station manager for Fox Tampa Bay (WTVT Ch 13) to two reporters who are currently suing the network for firing them and censoring a story about the use of bovine growth hormone in Florida cows.


Alleged? You mean this is simply heresay? Herersay from two fired reporters suing FOX Tampa?


You do realize the difference between a local FOX network and FOX News don't you?

You're not a communist scum-bag... you're just not so bright.
 
Dixie Cup
+1
#33
I actually enjoy Fox News and wish I had access to Sun TV - unfortunately, my TV carrier doesn't have it as yet, but I'll keep bugging them to do so.

JMO
 
earth_as_one
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Wow... did you really come up with this?

You need to "combine" ALL of the other's ratings and compare it to FOX... so therefore FOX is not #1?

This must really hurt you guys... year after year.......after year.

Wrestling is number one in sports too. But its sports entertainment, not really a competitive sport, just like Fox is infotainment, not really news. I noticed that many of the same people who believe Wrestling is real, also believe FoxNews.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

[/INDENT]Umm, you do understand, I hope, that the REPORTERS don't decide what gets reported and broadcast.

That's true. But the issue is why would Fox decide to not run the story and fire their reporters?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#35
The more disparaging commments about Fox and Sun News I see coming from some in this forum, the more I like it....

It just shows that they are doing a good job of hurting leftards...who seem to think....who are they, that they should dare speak aginst Obama, CBC, NPR, MSNBC and the rest of the left wing media

Keep those comments comming...I love to see your pain....
 
EagleSmack
+1
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Wrestling is number one in sports too. But its sports entertainment, not really a competitive sport, just like Fox is infotainment, not really news. I noticed that many of the same people who believe Wrestling is real, also believe FoxNews.

Wrestling! Man can you get anything correct?! On what planet?

Quote:

That's true. But the issue is why would Fox decide to not run the story and fire their reporters?

Because the local FOX network made the decision not to run the story. As the poster said... reporters do not decide what goes on the TV or in the newspapers. The editors make that decision.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

People who watch NPR tend to be informed and have accurate perceptions. People who watch FoxNews tend to be misinformed and have inaccurate perceptions. Many studies have proved this relationship. I posted references to them above..

Let me tell you a little about NPR and how accurate they are.

Last year on the afternoon of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, NPR had the Vancouver Police Chief on the radio. The NPR host was self-flagellating himself asking why US cities explode in riotous celebrations and losses in championship games and Canadian cities don't. Clearly he had no knowledge of riots in Canadian cities after championship games nor was there any research done on the story. He was asking the Vancouver Police Chief what our police can do and what they can teach us on how to behave. He also went on why is it that Canadians are so calm and polite following a great win or loss while us Americans can be so ugly.

Six hours later downtown Vancouver is ablaze.

No retort... no follow up story... nothing.

That's NPR!
 
earth_as_one
#37
www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...choose-to-riot (external - login to view)

m.npr.org/story/137219581 (external - login to view)

m.npr.org/news/U.S./137231295 (external - login to view)

Vancouver's 'Kissing Couple' May Be Aussie Man, Canadian Girlfriend : The Two-Way : NPR (external - login to view)
 
TenPenny
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post



That's true. But the issue is why would Fox decide to not run the story and fire their reporters?


Because they wanted to fire them, and not run the story?

Is Fox, and every other network, required to air every single story? Are reporters guaranteed jobs for life?
 
EagleSmack
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Win Or Lose, Some Fans Choose To Riot : The Two-Way : NPR (external - login to view)

NPR.org » The Sports Riot: First We Lose (Or Win), Then We Set This Sucker On Fire (external - login to view)

NPR.org » Fans React To Bruins' Stanley Cup Win (external - login to view)

Vancouver's 'Kissing Couple' May Be Aussie Man, Canadian Girlfriend : The Two-Way : NPR (external - login to view)

Oh you mean they got it right AFTER the riot?!

What great journalism!

No retort on their failed story prior? No apologies to the Boston fans on their stupid pre-game 7 report? Of course there isn't.
 
WLDB
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I listen to NPR as well... but basically you're getting the complete opposite of FOX. NPR is more left than MSNBC and it is government funded.

True. But I find it more fair than any of the cable news channels out there. They dont tend to ask as many stupid questions.

I never really understood why MSNBC is described as left leaning. I find it rather boring and centrist at best. Perhaps because the whole American system is further to the right than the Canadian one.
 
earth_as_one
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Because they wanted to fire them, and not run the story?

Is Fox, and every other network, required to air every single story? Are reporters guaranteed jobs for life?

I think people should know if bovine growth hormone is present in our food.

Using bovine growth hormones with the end result of extremely early breast growth and puberty is not a new discovery. In the 1980s in Puerto Rico, doctors encountered several instances of early puberty in four-year-old girls all related to the misuse of hormones in dairy cows.
“It was clearly observed in 97 percent of the cases that the appearance of abnormal breast tissue was…related to local whole milk in the infants,” wrote Dr, Carmen A. Saenz in the Journal of The Puerto Rico Medical Association.
These hormones affect the growth of young boys as well as girls, and in many instances surgery was required to reduce breast tissue that became abnormally swollen.
Bovine growth hormones have been banned in Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and most of Europe. In China and the United States their use is not only permitted, it is also encouraged as part of daily feeding routines for dairy cows.
Chinese Infants Grow Breasts: Bovine Growth Hormone Disaster (external - login to view)

The reason for not reporting it probably had something to do with not pissing off their advertisers who sell bovine growth hormone contaminated food, rather than a concern about the safety of their viewers. So if you watched FoxNews, you wouldn't know that the reason why little Johnnie is growing breasts has to do with hormones in milk. People who get their news from real news sources would have been informed. FoxNews viewers would have gotten the latest news regarding Justine Bieber's haircut and President Obama's birth certificate instead.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Oh you mean they got it right AFTER the riot?!

What great journalism!

Here is what you wrote:
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

...Let me tell you a little about NPR and how accurate they are.

Last year on the afternoon of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, NPR had the Vancouver Police Chief on the radio. The NPR host was self-flagellating himself asking why US cities explode in riotous celebrations and losses in championship games and Canadian cities don't. Clearly he had no knowledge of riots in Canadian cities after championship games nor was there any research done on the story. He was asking the Vancouver Police Chief what our police can do and what they can teach us on how to behave. He also went on why is it that Canadians are so calm and polite following a great win or loss while us Americans can be so ugly.

Six hours later downtown Vancouver is ablaze.

No retort... no follow up story... nothing.

That's NPR!

I proved your statement about NPR not reporting on the riots were wrong. NPR did report on the riots with many follow up stories. Instead of admitting that NPR did follow up and report on the Vancouver riots, you raised the bar to requiring NPR having to be able to report on events before they happen. How would NPR do that?
Last edited by earth_as_one; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:25 AM..
 
EagleSmack
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post



I proved your statement about NPR not reporting on the riots was wrong. NPR did report on the riots with many follow up stories. Instead of admitting that NPR did follow up and report on the Vancouver riots, you raised the bar to requiring NPR having to be able to report on events before they happen. How would NPR do that?

Perhaps I should have been a little more clear for you. There was no follow up to their blown story and lack of research of post game celebrations or losses in Canada. No admission of them completely getting it wrong prior to the riot.

As to your last part, it was NPR that had the Vancouver Police Chief on a few hours before Game 7 asking him if they could give us advice on how to prevent riots, and why can't we behave like Canadians behave. I remember the Chief saying that his police engage the fans and give them "high fives" as they exit the game. LMAO!

Are you clear now?

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

True. But I find it more fair than any of the cable news channels out there. They dont tend to ask as many stupid questions.

They have their good moments on NPR. I tend to notice that Democrat politicians are more likely to give interviews on NPR because they know they will be tossed a softball and swooned over.

Quote:

I never really understood why MSNBC is described as left leaning. I find it rather boring and centrist at best. Perhaps because the whole American system is further to the right than the Canadian one.

Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, and up until a few months ago Keith Obelman? They aren't left leaning or ultra-liberal? Did you see the lineup they had for the 2010 Mid-Terms? Those three and some other guy. Talk about whining brats. It was embarrassing to watch their meltdown... but also fun.

I don't see too much difference between a left leaning Canadian and a left leaning American... ditto to the right leaning ones.

As of late you don't hear much from MSNBC, they tried to counter FOX but failed miserably.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Are you clear now?

I feel another wiggle coming from the left....
 
earth_as_one
#44
WWE programming reaches approximately 12 million viewers in the U.S. each week. WWE creates and delivers original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience. WWE programming is broadcast in more than 145 countries and 30 languages and reaches more than 500 million homes worldwide. Last year, WWE.com, attracted an average of 13 million monthly unique visitors worldwide.
WWE Corporate - Company Overview (external - login to view)

Maybe WWE isn't the biggest sports organization in the world, but its near the top. Most viewers believe WWE is a real sport and not sports entertainment, just like most people who watch FoxNews think its real news and not infotainment.
 
EagleSmack
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Wrestling is number one in sports too.

Ok... let us continue shall we?

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post


Maybe WWE isn't the biggest sports organization in the world, but its near the top. Most viewers believe WWE is a real sport and not sports entertainment, just like most people who watch FoxNews think its real news and not infotainment.

Hmmm... It sounds like you're not very informed.

Isn't it funny how these things work out?

You make it so easy EAO, you really do.
 
WLDB
+2
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post


Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, and up until a few months ago Keith Obelman? They aren't left leaning or ultra-liberal? Did you see the lineup they had for the 2010 Mid-Terms? Those three and some other guy. Talk about whining brats. It was embarrassing to watch their meltdown... but also fun.

I don't see too much difference between a left leaning Canadian and a left leaning American... ditto to the right leaning ones.

As of late you don't hear much from MSNBC, they tried to counter FOX but failed miserably.


Hmm. Perhaps I just don't have enough exposure to it. I haven't had cable in two years. I get all of my news online or through podcasts. Even when I did have cable I didnt spend much time watching news channels, they were kind of dull. They never gave any story as much time as it they should get and the so called "expert" panels resembled a kindergarten class style of argument.

I do like the parody shows though such as the Colbert Report, Daily Show or the Mercer Report and 22 Minutes in Canada. They tend to go after pretty much anyone who screws up regardless of political stripes. Of course, one needs a knowledge of the news already to enjoy the shows.
 
mentalfloss
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I do like the parody shows though such as the Colbert Report, Daily Show or the Mercer Report and 22 Minutes in Canada. They tend to go after pretty much anyone who screws up regardless of political stripes.

Not surprisingly, the biggest dummies are those closer to Rick Perry's end of the political spectrum.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 01:47 PM..
 
earth_as_one
#48
I wasn't able to find the total number of people who tuned into the NFL or FIFA over the course of a year. But 12 million viewers per week x 50 weeks is the equivalent of 6 billion views over a year. How big is the NFL or FIFA?
 
EagleSmack
+1
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

A not surprisingly, the biggest dummies are those closer to Rick Perry's end of the political spectrum.

I have to disagree. More so it is the ones that are closer to Obama. The layabouts with their hands outstretched looking for handouts without shame.
 
mentalfloss
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I wasn't able to find the total number of people who tuned into the NFL or FIFA over the course of a year. But 12 million viewers per week x 50 weeks is the equivalent of 6 billion views over a year. How big is the NFL or FIFA?

Whether it's soccer, football or hockey, they'd all clobber each other if they're favourite team didn't win.
 
Just the Facts
+1
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

If you watch FoxNews and take it seriously, you probably have a severely distorted perception of reality.

May 29, 2011
According to recent polls, Fox News viewers are the most misinformed of all news consumers. They are 12 percentage points more likely to believe the stimulus package caused job losses, 17 points more likely to believe Muslims want to establish Shariah law in America, 30 points more likely to say that scientists dispute global warming, and 31 points more likely to doubt President Obama’s citizenship. In fact, a study by the University of Maryland reveals, ignorance of Fox viewers actually increases the longer they watch the network.
Chris Mooney | The Fox News "Effect": A Few References (external - login to view)

lol that looks like evidence of being pretty much on top of things. Perhaps Chris Mooney should be watching more Fox News, then he wouldn't be so, er, uninformed.

These "Fox News Viewers are Uninformed" studies have been shown to be a joke over and over again, a couple of times right here on these forums, not to mention right here in your post.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I found the comments at the bottom of that "blog" more interesting than the post

lol yeah especially this one:

Quote:

Still, the evidence above is striking.

The only evidence that's striking is the evidence of the intellectual dishonesty of the fox news bashing crowd.

It makes laugh. It makes me cry.
 
earth_as_one
#52
Its a fact that people who get their news primarily from FoxNews are more misinformed than people who get their news from the New York Times, PBS or the Daily Show. This has been proven over and over. You guys don't believe it, because FoxNews told you how good they are and you believed that too.

But try telling a FoxNews viewer that Iraq didn't have WMD stockpiles when the US invaded in 2003, that Barack Obama has a birth certificate proving he was born in the US and isn't a Muslim, the media isn't dominated by liberals (even though far right Fox dominates the news), the ground zero mosque is just a community center for Muslims who live in the area, global warming is supported by scientific evidence, no proof exists that Iran has nuclear weapons....

BTW, ES, I wasn't able to prove WWE is the most watched sport. But that isn't the same as claiming it is or isn't. Can you prove another sport has more viewers than WWE? If so, then you would be able to make your claim that WWE isn't the most watched sport.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#53
The above post is a simple left wing opinion that means absolutely nothing zip...
 
EagleSmack
+1
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Its a fact that people who get their news primarily from FoxNews are more misinformed than people who get their news from the New York Times, PBS or the Daily Show. This has been proven over and over. You guys don't believe it, because FoxNews told you how good they are and you believed that too.

Misinformed? Like you were with the WWE being the #1 sport?

Quote:

BTW, ES, I wasn't able to prove WWE is the most watched sport. But that isn't the same as claiming it is or isn't. Can you prove another sport has more viewers than WWE? If so, then you would be able to make your claim that WWE isn't the most watched sport.

Dude... you're the one that made the assinine claim. Don't expect me to run around the internet every time you say something idiotic. Clearly you were misinformed... blowing your whole participation in this thread clear out of the water.
 
earth_as_one
#55
Can you name another sport with more than 6 billion viewers per year? If not, then how do you know that claim is wrong? 6 billion viewers could make WWE #1. I don't even consider WWE to be a sport, just like I don't consider FoxNews to be news.

Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (8 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.
There were cases with some other news sources as well. Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.
The poll of 848 Americans was fielded from November 6 to 15, 2010. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.4 percent.
Voters Say Election Full of Misleading and False Information - World Public Opinion (external - login to view)

That would be the seventh such study using scientific methods which clearly show FoxNews viewers tend to be more misinformed than people who get their news from the NPR or PBS. How many studies do you have DS proving people who take FoxNews seriously aren't dumber than a bag of hammers?

BTW, DS, do you also take the National Enquirer seriously too?
 
DaSleeper
+3
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post


BTW, DS, do you also take the National Enquirer seriously too?

Nope....no more than take you and all the lefties seriously.....read below



Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

The more disparaging commments about Fox and Sun News I see coming from some in this forum, the more I like it....

It just shows that they are doing a good job of hurting leftards...who seem to think....who are they, that they should dare speak aginst Obama, CBC, NPR, MSNBC and the rest of the left wing media

Keep those comments comming...I love to see your pain....

 
TenPenny
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

the ground zero mosque is just a community center for Muslims who live in the area

How can a mosque be 'just a community center'?
 
damngrumpy
#58
The FOX network is more entertainment than serious news. CNN is a more rounded
network though it too has its problems. It is possible to give a left or right wing vent,
but it is not alright to go over the deep end either way. News people and networks
that do that I turn away from. And turning away takes up more and more of my time.
 
Just the Facts
#59
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

News people and networks
that do that I turn away from. And turning away takes up more and more of my time.

And that's how it should be. I applaud you.
 
Cliffy
#60
No more turning away.

Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away - YouTube

 

Similar Threads

64
News on the News: Fake News
by Karlin | 2 weeks ago
13
News from Iraq you won't see on "the news"
by thomaska | Nov 8th, 2007
0
Good news; bad news
by Walter | Jun 10th, 2007
0
Dr. Dino gets 10 years+ 3 years probation
by Tonington | Jan 19th, 2007
no new posts