Fighting Has No Place in Hockey

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Didn't they try to ban fighting in hockey back in the seventies and the fans stayed away in droves. Blood on the ice is the glue that holds this gladiator sport together.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The staged fights between players is a blight on the sport. Concussion central...

I hate the staged fights too, they look very tacky, and make the game look the same.

The spontaneous fights, come quickly and finish quickly, and I do understand how they start,
but there are too many fights now, because of a 'clean' body check, and the players have to
stop doing that, not sure why that started, never use to happen.
I can see it happening sometimes when a star player, or a small player is hit very hard by
another player, but good body checking shouldn't bring that on from either the hittee or another
player on his team.
There are only a handful of people who would go to hockey to see bloodshed, and if they spend all
of that money to see just that, most of the time they will be dissapointed, as most fights are
very short, with no bloodshed, a bit of bloodshed from a bloody nose, from an
arrant stick, (accident), but all in all, not much blood over the long hall.
I watch many games a week, see some bloodshed, hardly any from fights.
Some of the worst bloodshed is from 'freak' accidents, and if anyone is going to
games to see that, then they must look in the mirror, for it is they who have
a problem.

The concussion information at the forefront now should make all of them take notice of fighting,
because just as they are doing so well suspending players for 'head' shots, they stand there
and watch them punch each other in the head, when fighting. I do understand that most of those
punches are not nearly the impact of hitting one's head on the boards, but it does make us sit
and watch hitting to the head, so doesn't fit in with todays protocol.

I like women's hockey too, but I would always watch the NHL men's game far ahead
of the women's game. My daughters played competetive hockey for years, at a high
level, played many times against boys teams, it was great, loved it, but at the
same time all of our family followed the NHL closely, and loved that too.

The game is so much more difficult with body checking, and everything they have
to accomplish is more difficult when they have to be aware all the time, and
prepare themselves, and protect themselves, and they love it that way, it is their
game, and who are we to tell them how to play it.
The head shots are being addressed, and brenden shanahan is doing a great job, as
we speak ovetchkin is sitting out 3 games for leaving his feet, hitting to the
head of another player. No injury, but the intent was there, so he is paying for
it, and if he does it again, he will pay 'more' for it.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i hate all the cheap shots. eg. boarding, sucker punching, elbowing, kneeing, sticking, etc.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
A fist fight between strong men almost invariably causes brain trauma. Think about it. That no one's been killed is a miracle.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
You would still get fans going to games without fighting. Now they learn MMA techniques to fight and punches can be lethal headshots. I turn the station when I see a fight nowadays on TV.

They should go 4 on 4 for games, there is more room and if you can't skate, you're gone. So the goons vanish and so does fighting. Fighting would not have to be banned but it would be very rare 4 on 4.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am not a fight fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I don't think you can ever completely get rid of fighting in hockey. It's a fast paced, contact sport...fighting is bound to happen.

Where it's gone too far is all the staged fighting, the teams who load up on goons instead of hockey players, that's what's gone too far. It's got to be treated as something that happens instead of a tactic of the game.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why is the hockey rink outside the reach of the law?

That's always the question isn't it?

I may be wrong but I think there might be provisions for sporting events and injuries that are sustained from violence during sports in the criminal code?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There are. But now it's wink-wink, nudge-nudge. A player's sccepting the possibilty of injury in a fast-paced physical game is not the same as assent to violence or assault.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are. But now it's wink-wink, nudge-nudge. A player's sccepting the possibilty of injury in a fast-paced physical game is not the same as assent to violence or assault.

The NHL has deep pockets. And they don't want to stop the money flow, so they won't take this seriously until someone dies in Prime Time on HNIC.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
A fist fight between strong men almost invariably causes brain trauma. Think about it. That no one's been killed is a miracle.

some of the punches land on the nose etc., but the majority of them hit the helmet, hence many
injuries to hands, eg. jovo broke his hand a couple of wees ago, punching a helmet, in a fight.
one of the first things they do in the panlty box is grab the ice bag for their hand, and its
usually not because the hand hit a face, it hit a helmet.

of course some hit the target, not the majority.