Expand burka ban, says Muslim group

dumpthemonarchy
Good idea. But a simpler one is to take in far fewer immigrants for a few decades. Then we will have fewer issues like this to worry about . Or issues like the Toronto 18, honour killings, or a growing imbalance in males over females in urban areas in the country due to growing ethnic enclaves.

Expand burka ban, says Muslim group | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Expand burka ban, says Muslim group

By Chris Doucette ,Toronto Sun First posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 09:02 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:19 PM EST

Report an error
More Coverage
Related Stories
TORONTO - A Muslim group is urging Canada’s immigration minister to extend his recent burka ban beyond the citizenship courts.
The Muslim Canadian Congress honoured Jason Kenney at a hotel in Toronto’s west end Sunday for his decision to ban burkas during swearing-in ceremonies.

But then the group asked the minister to go a step further and introduce legislation requiring any face coverings be removed to work in the public sector or do business with government officials.

“You have taken a very courageous step in banning the burka from citizenship ceremonies,” Farzana Khan, former MCC president, told the minister.

She then suggested Kenny table a bill similar to Quebec’s Bill 94.

Burkas and niqabs are not only a “security hazard,” they are also symbols of gender inequality and Islamic extremism, Khan said.
“Invoking religious freedoms to conceal one’s identity and promote political ideology is disingenuous,” she said.
Khan and others said women who hide their faces do so for cultural reasons, not religious purposes, so it should not be protected under the country’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“As Canadian citizens, it is our right to see the faces of the people we deal with in public places,” said MCC Secretary General Tahir Aslam Gora.

After listening to the appeal, the Kenney said the idea sounds good in principle but he’ll need to take a closer look at it.
However, Kenney added his decision to ban burkas at citizenship ceremonies was an easy one and it had the support of 81% of Canadians.

“For me it’s a simple principle,” Kenney said, adding he doesn’t see the ban as controversial.
“People take a public oath publicly,” he said, explaining those who witness the citizenship ceremony should be able to see and hear the new Canadians declaring their allegiance to the country.

Goober
If we have fewer immigrants, that would mean less people for you to hate.
Last edited by shadowshiv; Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:26 PM..

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

If we have fewer immigrants, that would mean less people for you to hate.

Some things and some people are easy to hate!
Last edited by shadowshiv; Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:26 PM..

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Some things and some people are easy to hate!

People who do hateful things or act in hateful ways, are easy to hate.
Last edited by shadowshiv; Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:27 PM..

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

People who do hateful things or act in hateful ways, are easy to hate.

Are they all hateful, are they all easy to hate?
Last edited by shadowshiv; Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:27 PM..

Cannuck
+2

Are they all hateful, are they all easy to hate?

I hate people that can't figure out the quote function. We should send them all back to where they belong.

lone wolf
Isn't this like hate speech?

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Isn't this like hate speech?

Hate speech is now anything that can be insinuated to mean something unpleasant. Found the PC crowd here who hates any dissenting opinions. I really hate honour killings. We sent an army to Afhganistan to stop this hateful practice. We're failed there and we're failing here. I'm not keen on people who do honour killing. Some people hate people who do honour killing, but never say it.

Spade
I hate broiled chicken hearts.

lone wolf
Read the previous five posts, Dump - then grow a sense of ha-ha

Notice a theme?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I hate broiled chicken hearts.

What have they ever done to you?

Spade
Cannuck blithered, "I hate people that can't figure out the quote function. We should send them all back to where they belong"

I hate blithering. Blitherers should be exiled to Ellesmere Island without chapstick!

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

What have they ever done to you?

They sat on a paper doily lining a fancy bone-china plate and were offered to me to eat, Honestly, what would you have done?

Cannuck
Spade blithered, I hate blithering. Blitherers should be exiled to Ellesmere Island without chapstick!

I hate blitherers that blither about other blitherers. They should be sent to St Johns without an English/Newfie dictionary.

Spade
I hate (blithering)*4

gerryh
+1
Yup, that's what we should do, legislate how people should dress....... hmmmm.... sound familiar?

dumpthemonarchy
Yeah, you're right.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Yup, that's what we should do, legislate how people should dress....... hmmmm.... sound familiar?

Of course we should. We have too few laws. I saw an Anglican priest wearing a Roman collar. Really, a Roman collar! Krist, Italy,is on the Mediterranean, and that's next to the Middle East!

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Yeah, you're right.

I'm always right.... one of these days you'll finally figure that out.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I'm always right.... one of these days you'll finally figure that out.

you're not a wolf

Durry
And on the other hand;
It's easy to get respect if you;
-respect your fellow man and the people around you
-help others to help themselves
-do more than your share in a team activity
-conform to the standards set by the people around you
-respect other people's opinions and offer constructive suggestions
-be a nice person
-respect your country and what others have done to make Canada a great place to live
-participate in sports and community cultural events ie theater, opera, dance etc etc and be a community leader
-work hard to establish equality for all members of society, freedom to chose partners regardless of religion or sex

Anybody want to add some items to the list ???

Spade
+1
- join a peace group
- give to charities
- volunteer to assist youth and the elderly
- welcome the stranger

lone wolf
+1
...walk softer and carry a bigger stick?...

gerryh
So Durry, are you for or against a legislated dress code in Canada?

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy

Expand burka ban

for a second i thought is said, 'expand durka ban'.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

And on the other hand;
It's easy to get respect if you;
-respect your fellow man and the people around you
-help others to help themselves
-do more than your share in a team activity
-conform to the standards set by the people around you
-respect other people's opinions and offer constructive suggestions
-be a nice person
-respect your country and what others have done to make Canada a great place to live
-participate in sports and community cultural events ie theater, opera, dance etc etc and be a community leader
-work hard to establish equality for all members of society, freedom to chose partners regardless of religion or sex

Anybody want to add some items to the list ???

How dou you really feel about Easterners?????????????

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

for a second i thought is said, 'expand durka ban'.

According to this URL, it can mean anything, usually negative though. "Your girlfriend's burka is durka, Dirk." For eg.

Urban Dictionary: durka (external - login to view)

spaminator

According to this URL, it can mean anything, usually negative though. "Your girlfriend's burka is durka, Dirk." For eg.

Urban Dictionary: durka (external - login to view)

i wasn't aware of that.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

i wasn't aware of that.

I didn't know either until I googled it.

It's durka that Canada has honour killings. Caused by our durka immigration system.

There has been one honour killing per year since 1999, compared to three in total from 1953-1984. They're trying to blame it on mental illness or create a new category in the criminal code to reduce the problem. Just reduce immigration by 75% and make it dependent on the economy.
Honour killings on the rise in Canada: Study | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Goober

I didn't know either until I googled it.

It's durka that Canada has honour killings. Caused by our durka immigration system.

There has been one honour killing per year since 1999, compared to three in total from 1953-1984. They're trying to blame it on mental illness or create a new category in the criminal code to reduce the problem. Just reduce immigration by 75% and make it dependent on the economy.
Honour killings on the rise in Canada: Study | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

I take it that you must be direct and full blooded First Nations. Or you are descended from immigrants.

dumpthemonarchy

I take it that you must be direct and full blooded First Nations. Or you are descended from immigrants.

You are one of those people who think, "If he does/says this, it means that." And only that. There is no alternative. You people get such a reflexive reaction to a policy that is supposed to generate glorious praise and are confused when someone reacts differently to the norm. I'm guessing you break out into a cold sweat quite a bit recently.

Our immigration policy has been foolish for 20 years, yet it is exalted as multicultural piety to make up for past sins of colonialsim and racism. And now we're taking in immigrants from durka countries like Afghanistan were women are traded for sheep. Canada is going durka brained.

I was born here, one parent was an immigrant, but I am not.