Why are Canadians flocking to Mexico?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
n the Media
Op-Ed: Why are tourists still flocking to Mexico?

Like this article
Arthur

By Arthur Weinreb Jan 24, 2012 - yesterday in Travel
20 comments

+

Sheila Nabb, who was found badly beaten in an elevator in a five star hotel, is just the latest Canadian to become a victim of violent crime while staying in a luxurious Mexican resort.
Sheila and Andrew Nabb left winter in Calgary behind and flew south last Thursday. Early Friday morning, Sheila, bloodied and badly beaten, was found in an elevator of the Hotel Rui Emerald Bay in Mazatlan. The 37-year-old health care manager is now in a medically induced coma at a Mazatlan hospital. Her uncle, Robert Prosser, was quoted in the Vancouver Sun as saying,
It could be a month before she is fit to return to Calgary for further treatment. They're going to have to wire her jaw shut, put plates in where her cheeks were and lots of reconstructive surgery.​
According to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, 112 Canadians lost their lives in Mexico through accidents, murders, or suicides during the last five years. There is no doubt Mexico is an extremely violent country. It is one thing if a Canadian travels to or lives in an area where drug cartels battle for control and murders are an everyday occurrence. It is quite another when tourists like Nabb become victims of violent crime within the confines of luxury resorts. On the morning of Nov. 14, 2010, a blast ripped through the Grand Riviera Princess Hotel in Playa del Carmen. Five Canadian tourists and two Mexican employees were killed. After the explosion, various theories were put forward as to the cause of the blast. After an investigation, it was determined that a gas pipeline had been extended to underneath the area of the hotel's lounge. The extension was not only unauthorized but illegal. A Canadian who had left the hotel before the explosion told CBC Radio that he "smelled some sort of gas the whole time he was there." If anything should have made Canadians think twice about visiting Mexico, it was the murders of Dominic and Nancy Ianiero. The Woodbridge, Ontario couple were in Mexico with several family members to attend the wedding of their daughter. They were staying at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, a five star hotel near Cancun. On Feb. 20, 2006, their bodies were discovered in their hotel room. Their throats had been slashed. But the Mexican authorities acted quickly and came up with suspects. Later on the day the bodies were discovered, police announced they were looking for two Canadian women. Blood of the victims was supposedly found in their room which was possible as the women walked passed the Ianieros' room when there had been blood in the hallway. And, they had "fled the country" the day after the murders. Actually their vacation was over and they returned home on their scheduled flight. Mexican authorities asked the Canadian police to investigate and they did, although no one in Canada seriously believed they had anything to do with the murders. The Canadian media even jokingly dubbed the two from Thunder Bay, Ontario, "the killer moms." Yet the two women went through hell, having to hire a lawyer while police at least superficially investigated them. They were eventually cleared but not before then Mexican president Vincente Fox got in on the act and said they were the killers. Although other suspects have been named, there have been no arrests and the murders remain unsolved. Despite what seems like a rash of violent crimes, not just in Mexico but in five star hotels where tourists expect to be safe, Canadians still go to the country in droves. In 2010, 1.6 million Canadians visited Mexico; double the number that went five years ago, a year before the Ianieros went to attend a wedding and ended up being brutally murdered. Yes, Canadian winters are harsh and Mexico is relatively cheap. But there are other southern destinations that appear to provide protection to tourists, at least when they are in their five star hotels. How many people will have to end up like Nabb or the Ianieros before Canadians decide that a Mexican vacation is too risky? If enough tourists stayed away, perhaps Mexico would be forced to better protect the country's tourists.

Read more: Op-Ed: Why are tourists still flocking to Mexico?

My wife and I have been to Mexico three times. We won't go again. We'll try to pick a destination where
the local authorities have some idea what is going on. We were hassled in Tollume because we didn't hire
a guide......The place is not that big. You can walk around it in fifteen minutes and we bought a brochure
that showed everything. Some people we met on the airplane had to waste two days while incompetent police
investigated an accident. They were rear-ended while stopped. The "police" finally agreed to settle the matter
all around for a hundred dollars. We'll try Belize next.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i also heard on the news recently that tourists came back vomiting and diarrheaing.:(

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
maybe many canadian have a death wish.

I would go to many places, but never to mexico, have never been there, and won't go there.

I would rather go to 'spuzzum'.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
maybe many canadian have a death wish.

I would go to many places, but never to mexico, have never been there, and won't go there.

I would rather go to 'spuzzum'.
Spuzzum
Isn't that beyond Hope!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
i also heard on the news recently that tourists came back vomiting and diarrheaing.
You're talking about Cuba-another place you'll never see in this life.

maybe many canadian have a death wish.I would go to many places, but never to mexico, have never been there, and won't go there.I would rather go to 'spuzzum'.
Been there at least 11 times in the past 30 years-would go again tomorrow if I could.

As to Spuzzum-Be My Guest-there are places that small in Mexico too but the food is better there and people much friendlier.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Suckers for punishment? We've been to Mexico twice; once to the tip of Baja when Cabo and the others didn't have resort hotels up the arse and the other was only because it was in between here and Belize, Colombia, etc. and we went through it. It has no more attraction for us.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Personally, I would rather go to Hawaii than Mexico. At least there I would be able to leave the resort and be reasonably safe from harm.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Personally, I would rather go to Hawaii than Mexico. At least there I would be able to leave the resort and be reasonably safe from harm.

My issue isn't being safe as much as it is about what happens in the unlikely event that something does happen. Heard some people talking on the radio today that said insurance is pretty much useless. A guy got hit with a bat and the hospital wanted 40k up front before they would do anything. They didn't care about an insurance policy. It seems to me that the companies that are selling travel insurance are scamming people.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
My issue isn't being safe as much as it is about what happens in the unlikely event that something does happen. Heard some people talking on the radio today that said insurance is pretty much useless. A guy got hit with a bat and the hospital wanted 40k up front before they would do anything. They didn't care about an insurance policy. It seems to me that the companies that are selling travel insurance are scamming people.

Is this everywhere, or just in certain countries?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It's a pack of lying Bee Ess as per the usual posts by the individual in question.

In fact Mexican hospitals take credit cards just like Canadian ones-have you taken anyone from out of the country to the hospital here lately?

I have and the first thing they want is a CC-it's up to you to arrange reimbursment by your insurance company.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I'm not sure but I've heard of enough stories about Mexico to know it's a problem. I doubt it would be an issue in Cuba and I know some people that had a medical problem in Costa Rica and had no insurance issues.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ive travelled Mexico in for 4 months back in 2010, for work.... Ive been from Hermosillo to San Luis Potosi, Mazatalan through Mexico City down to Oaxaca City and the Chiapas border and everywhere in between.... In short ive been to over half the states, twice... Ive seen and experienced **** that none of you would believe..... I never set foot once in a tourist compound..... Ive had those cheap M-16s the army uses pointed in my face by the army, ive been harrassed by the federalis, ive walked through weed fields, ive seen a couple of dead bodies, and ive passed through places where the day before there was a shoot out....

Mexico is an awesome place, i had a ton of fun.... But i will never go back because all it takes is to meet the wrong person or slip up once in some way and your ****ed!!!! In Mexico your not innocent until proven guilty, your guilty until proven innocent.... And good luck with trying to prove your innocence

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
In fact Mexican hospitals take credit cards just like Canadian ones-have you taken anyone from out of the country to the hospital here lately?

Ummm- That's kinda the point. You shouldn't need a credit card if you have travel insurance and what if you don't have a 40K limit on your card? (the folks on the radio program today didn't)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm not sure but I've heard of enough stories about Mexico to know it's a problem. I doubt it would be an issue in Cuba and I know some people that had a medical problem in Costa Rica and had no insurance issues.

My main problem would be that I don't own any credit cards(if that is a requirement there). My sister and her now-husband went to Cuba about a year ago and they didn't have any problems. I think (but am not 100% certain) that they left the resort as well and travelled to various locales there.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Ive travelled Mexico in for 4 months back in 2010, for work.... Ive been from Hermosillo to San Luis Potosi, Mazatalan through Mexico City down to Oaxaca City and the Chiapas border and everywhere in between.... In short ive been to over half the states, twice... Ive seen and experienced **** that none of you would believe..... I never set foot once in a tourist compound..... Ive had those cheap M-16s the army uses pointed in my face by the army, ive been harrassed by the federalis, ive walked through weed fields, ive seen a couple of dead bodies, and ive passed through places where the day before there was a shoot out....

Mexico is an awesome place, i had a ton of fun.... But i will never go back because all it takes is to meet the wrong person or slip up once in some way and your ****ed!!!! In Mexico your not innocent until proven guilty, your guilty until proven innocent.... And good luck with trying to prove your innocence

My daughter & friends have been visiting Mexico for over 5 years now and recommend it when-ever where-ever. A tourist doesn't visit skid row iin Canada so why do so in a foreign country?? A little research will tell tourists that it is not smart to go into certain places after dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My main problem would be that I don't own any credit cards(if that is a requirement there). My sister and her now-husband went to Cuba about a year ago and they didn't have any problems. I think (but am not 100% certain) that they left the resort as well and travelled to various locales there.

Ditto for me, & I've been there twice, & had nothing but a good time.
I just google'd "Tourism Violence in Cuba" and came up with nothing
or very close to it. Try the same thing with Mexico, or Canada.

I'm very cautious with credit, and only have a pre-paid credit card (so
it's more like a debit card) for online purchases, hotel rooms, etc...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
A little research will tell tourists that it is not smart to go into certain places after dark.

The latest woman beaten was in the elevator of a 5 star hotel.

I heard yesterday there is a fund started to help pay medical expenses. Isn't that what travel insurance supposed to be for?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I heard yesterday there is a fund started to help pay medical expenses. Isn't that what travel insurance supposed to be for?

Had a conversation with someone about this beating earlier today.
She's stayed in several other hotels in this hotel chain, and they're
all heavy on the security camera's. Cameras in the bars, and at the
front desk, and at the pool, in the hallways, etc...and she say's
she'd be shocked if there wasn't a security camera in that
elevator. Weird that this hasn't come up yet....

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley

Do a bit of research on the problems some tourists to Canada encounter. Tourists are a target in all coutries.

There is someone enjoying a pure silk scarf and some jewelry I bought in Greece. Cost about 200 bucks!!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Do a bit of research on the problems some tourists to Canada encounter. Tourists are a target in all coutries.

There is someone enjoying a pure silk scarf and some jewelry I bought in Greece. Cost about 200 bucks!!

All places face crime, but "violent" crime is more prevalent in some
places than others. Mexico's issue is violent crime against tourists
as well as its own citizens.