Sarah Burke passes from injuries- Age 29

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Canadian skier Sarah Burke dies from injuries - The Globe and Mail

Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke died Thursday, nine days after crashing at the bottom of the superpipe during a training run in Utah.

Burke was 29. She was injured Jan. 10 while training at a personal sponsor event at the Park City Mountain resort.

“Our hearts go out to Sarah's husband Rory and her entire family, Canadian Freestyle Ski Association CEO Peter Judge said in a statement. ”It's difficult for us to imagine their pain and what they're going through. Sarah was certainly someone who lived life to the fullest and in doing so was a significant example to our community and far beyond

Tests revealed Burke sustained “irreversible damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen and blood after cardiac arrest,” according to a statement released by Burke's publicist.

A four-time Winter X Games champion, Burke crashed on the same halfpipe where snowboarder Kevin Pearce suffered a traumatic brain injury during a training accident on Dec. 31, 2009.

As a result of her fall, Burke tore her vertebral artery, which led to severe bleeding on the brain, causing her to go into cardiac arrest on the scene, where CPR was performed, according to the statement by publicist Nicole Wool.

Wool said Burke's organs and tissues were donated as per her wishes.

“The family expresses their heartfelt gratitude for the international outpouring of support they have received from all the people Sarah touched,” the statement said.

Burke, a native of Barrie, Ont., who grew up in nearby Midland before moving to Squamish, B.C., was the best-known athlete in her sport and will be remembered for the legacy she left for women in freestyle skiing.

She set the standard for skiing in the superpipe, a sister sport to the more popular snowboarding brand that has turned Shaun White, Hannah Teter and others into stars.

Seeing what a big role the Olympics has played in pushing the Whites of the world from the fringes into the mainstream, Burke lobbied to add superpipe skiing to the Olympic program, using the argument that no new infrastructure would be needed — the pipe was already built — and the Olympics could get twice the bang for their buck.

She won over the Olympic bigwigs, and the discipline will debut at the Sochi Games in 2014.

Burke, who was favoured to win a fifth X Games title later this month, would have been a favourite for the gold medal in Sochi, as well. Instead, sadly, the competitors will have to toast to her memory when they make their debut on what will be the sport's grandest stage.

“Sarah, in many ways, defines the sport,” Judge said last week. “She's been involved since the very, very early days as one of the first people to bring skis into the pipe. She's also been very dedicated in trying to define her sport but not define herself by winning. For her, it's been about making herself the best she can be rather than comparing herself to other people.”

Burke's death continues a sad string of stories involving some of the best-known athletes in the wintertime action-sports world. Pearce's injury — he has since recovered and is back to riding on snow — was a jarring reminder of the dangers posed to these athletes who often market themselves as devil-may-care thrillseekers but know they make their living in a far more serious, and dangerous, profession.

Burke's death also is sure to re-ignite the debate over safety on the halfpipe.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
To-day, the road all runners come,[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

A E Housman

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The risks are huge, just watching the speed they travel, down hill, without any control 'if' they leave
the course at any time.

They choose to do this, they know the risks, it was what she loved to do, but after saying all of that,
it leaves me with a very sad feeling and a lump in my throat, such a short life.

R I P

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
".... “irreversible damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen and blood after cardiac arrest,”

Wool said Burke's organs and tissues were donated as per her wishes."

In other words, the family made the absolute hardest choice I think anyone can have to make... to have their brain dead relative harvested for organs. There are very few times that someone is injured in the 'right' way to be able to harvest organs and tissues well. The sacrifice those families make saves and improves many many other lives. My heart breaks at the mere thought of having to make choices like that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
".... “irreversible damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen and blood after cardiac arrest,”

Wool said Burke's organs and tissues were donated as per her wishes."

In other words, the family made the absolute hardest choice I think anyone can have to make... to have their brain dead relative harvested for organs. There are very few times that someone is injured in the 'right' way to be able to harvest organs and tissues well. The sacrifice those families make saves and improves many many other lives. My heart breaks at the mere thought of having to make choices like that.

Are you making post thinking as a Parent whose child predeceases them. Even though she was an adult, she was still their child. And yes it would be a difficult decision. But many look upon this as also saving a life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are you making post thinking as a Parent whose child predeceases them. Even though she was an adult, she was still their child. And yes it would be a difficult decision. But many look upon this as also saving a life.

As a spouse, as a parent, as a sibling....no matter where you sit in a decision like that, it would be so hard.

My parents have friends who lost a son quad racing, and his end came about the same way. It was a side of organ donation that they hadn't considered ahead of time...that they would have to choose to let him go in order to donate. So often people think 'who cares, I'll be dead anyway', never considering.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Canadian skier Sarah Burke dies from injuries - The Globe and Mail

Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke died Thursday, nine days after crashing at the bottom of the superpipe during a training run in Utah.

Burke was 29. She was injured Jan. 10 while training at a personal sponsor event at the Park City Mountain resort.

“Our hearts go out to Sarah's husband Rory and her entire family, Canadian Freestyle Ski Association CEO Peter Judge said in a statement. ”It's difficult for us to imagine their pain and what they're going through. Sarah was certainly someone who lived life to the fullest and in doing so was a significant example to our community and far beyond

Very sad day in the sports world, very sad day in the human world!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Gaia Bless and Keep you, Sarah. You were a true champion, a fine Canadian and an outstanding spokeswoman for your sport. You will be missed.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder if the sport will still be included in the 2014 games. I read that she "lobbied aggressively" to have it included ... but look at the result. Another guy was seriously injured at the same location in 2009 and will no longer compete because he says that it has become too dangerous. Youth feel invincible and some may push themselves farther to out-do those that died pushing themselves farther. What's the point.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
She did well in her chose sport. She was reaching out for the brass rich to reach a
level of professional perfection and instead she will likely reach a level of immortality
This is one of those truly sad stories that makes a person feel helpless at the loss of
a human life at such a young age.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I feel a lot like what Talloola posted. I'm saddened that a bright, intelligent, passionate young woman has passed away but at the same time I can't help but wondering why. In the name of entertainment, our young people do take enormous risks, flying down mountains, around race tracks, etc. They brutalize their bodies in other sports, some injuring themselves in manners that they feel the effects for years after. I know that in Sarah Burke's case, as in a multitude of others, she was doing something she loved to do, but as the parent of a little daredevil, it also frightens me. I guess in the end, we just have to let them live life on their terms, not ours.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Veering slightly off topic, I am dismayed and saddened by the over $1/2 million dollar medical bill amassed in 9 days that her family is burdened with. It's a wake up call to all travelling abroad to make sure you have adequate travel insurance covering unforseen medical costs as our medical covers only a very small fraction of it. One scenario is you could wake up in hospital down there and find you no longer own your house!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Very sad, although she was taken at a young age she certainly she lived doing what she loved. That in itself is something many never achieve in a lifetime. Now her spirit will live on in those she has saved through organ transplant.

Rest in Peace Sarah Burke.