Child denied kidney transplant due to Mental Handicap

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Child denied kidney transplant due to mentally handicapped.

I find this outrageous on the part of the Doctor.

Parents of a Disabled Girl Denied a Transplant Blame One Doctor | Healthland | TIME.com

The parents of a 3-year-old New Jersey girl who claim she’s being denied a kidney transplant because of her mental disabilities said their problems may be with one doctor, and not The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Chrissy Rivera posted a blog entry last week that described an encounter she claimed happened at The Children’s Hospital. She and her husband were there to discuss treatment for her daughter, Amelia, who was born with Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome, a rare genetic defect that can cause physical and mental disabilities. Amelia will need a transplant in six months to a year.

Chrissy Rivera, 36, wrote that a doctor, whom she did not name, told her and her husband that Amelia wouldn’t be eligible for a transplant because of her quality of life and her mental condition.

“I put my hand up. ‘Stop talking for a minute. Did you just say that Amelia shouldn’t have the transplant done because she is mentally retarded. I am confused. Did you really just say that?’” she wrote. “I begin to shake. My whole body trembles and he begins to tell me how she will never be able to get on the waiting list because she is mentally retarded.”

“The studies reported good compliance with post-transplant medications due to consistent support from family members or caregivers,” the paper noted.

The researchers added that previous controversies over mental disabilities and transplants led the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations to express concern that many people with disabilities are “denied evaluation and referral for transplantation.”

Whatever the medical details of Amelia’s situation, her mother’s blog captured the anger of parents with disabled children who don’t want outsiders to decide life and death issues.

“Do not talk about her quality of life,” Rivera wrote of her exchange with the doctor last week. “You have no idea what she is like. We have crossed many, many road blocks with Amelia and this is just one more. So, you don’t agree she should have it done? Fine. But tell me who I talk to next.”

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Wasn't it the Latimer child that was subjected to repeated medical procedures to the extent that the father could no longer cope with her ppor quality of life and continued medical treatment? I guess the issue can go both ways ... on the one hand, the child may undergo many, many procedures throughout life, never fully avoiding pain and disability, on the other hand, each operation probably makes some difference.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wasn't it the Latimer child that was subjected to repeated medical procedures to the extent that the father could no longer cope with her ppor quality of life and continued medical treatment? I guess the issue can go both ways ... on the one hand, the child may undergo many, many procedures throughout life, never fully avoiding pain and disability, on the other hand, each operation probably makes some difference.

I do not believe these are comparable. Latimers daughter if i recall was in tremendous and continious pain.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't really have a strong feeling either way but playing devil's advocate .... If Child A is a normal otherwise healthy child and child B is a developmentally challenged child, and both require a transplant. One organ becomes available. Should the organ be given to whomever is first on the list? By denying the organ to A in favour of B, is that really fair to A?

Now, what if C is first on the list and is not a child but a 90 year old ... should C get the organ because of first come first served?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't really have a strong feeling either way but playing devil's advocate .... If Child A is a normal otherwise healthy child and child B is a developmentally challenged child, and both require a transplant. One organ becomes available. Should the organ be given to whomever is first on the list? By denying the organ to A in favour of B, is that really fair to A?

Now, what if C is first on the list and is not a child but a 90 year old ... should C get the organ because of first come first served?

You're talking about picking someone off the list when an organ comes available. That is not the same thing as disallowing them from being on the list in the first place.

For all we know, if and when an organ were to come available, this child might be the best match. But, without her being allowed on a transplant list in the first place, all bets are out the window.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You're talking about picking someone off the list when an organ comes available. That is not the same thing as disallowing them from being on the list in the first place.

For all we know, if and when an organ were to come available, this child might be the best match. But, without her being allowed on a transplant list in the first place, all bets are out the window.

I admit ignorance to how the list is maintained. I assumed that the controls may have been on the placement on the list. But I guess it makes sense to do it upon receipt of an organ so you are only comparing people who are a match to the organ.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Child denied kidney transplant due to mentally handicapped.

I find this outrageous on the part of the Doctor.
Impressive. I am positive that doctor is perfect. No ocular impairment, speech impediment, one leg slightly shorter than the other, one ear lower than the other, perfectly symmetrical face, etc. too, right?
Jackasses are abundant and rampant.