Italian Cruise Line disaster


Retired_Can_Soldier
#1



httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvR6rYAUApKdc



Good grief what a mess!

Quote:

Dozens of passengers and crew from a stricken cruise ship are still missing more than 24 hours after the liner capsized off the Italian coast. Rescuers found three survivors, including a honeymoon couple, on board the liner on Sunday morning.

By News Wires (external - login to view) (text)

REUTERS - Italian rescue workers were searching for nearly 40 people still missing early on Sunday, more than a day after a cruise ship with more than 4,000 on board capsized off Italy’s west coast, killing at least three people and injuring 70.

Read more (external - login to view)
 
WLDB
#2
As far as sinking ships go, this is nothing. Could have been much worse.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

As far as sinking ships go, this is nothing. Could have been much worse.

Definitely could have, but still what a bloody mess.
 
captain morgan
+1
#4
Yet another tragedy in a long line of nautical disasters... This one still haunts me:



7 stranded castaways... Probably the result of a drunk Skipper, not unlike the Exxon Valdez.

 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#5
I'm guessing it was likely the stoner first mate and Mary-Ann smoking a Doob on that 3-hour tour.



 
captain morgan
+2
#6
Yeah, more than likely.

But all this has got me to thinking... They had a Professor on board and I'm wondering why he never devised a way to get them off the Island... Do you think that it was the absence of graphs that was the culprit here?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Yeah, more than likely.

But all this has got me to thinking... They had a Professor on board and I'm wondering why he never devised a way to get them off the Island... Do you think that it was the absence of graphs that was the culprit here?

That's a pretty bold accusation.
 
captain morgan
+2
#8
As a sage and wise adviser once said:

former prime minister jean chretien explains - YouTube

 
SLM
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Yeah, more than likely.

But all this has got me to thinking... They had a Professor on board and I'm wondering why he never devised a way to get them off the Island... Do you think that it was the absence of graphs that was the culprit here?

Seriously? The man worked exclusively with coconuts! There was only so much he could do.

I mean, it's not like he was McGyver!
 
lone wolf
+2
#10
Sad case really.... If only they had a Canadian toolbox: duct tape and WD40
 
captain morgan
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Seriously? The man worked exclusively with coconuts! There was only so much he could do.

I mean, it's not like he was McGyver!


I39ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts Merv Griffin - YouTube

 
#juan
+1
#12
I first read about this cruise ship incident about five oclock this am. It has been reported that there was an explosion
in one of the engine rooms. It has also been reported that the ship hit rocks that the captain says were not supposed
to be there. They are now saying that the ship is on a sand bar which tore a two hundred foot(fifty meter) gash in the
side of the ship. I think the ship will be there for some time before it is floating again
 
gerryh
#13
"The captain of the 114,500-tonne ship, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, Italian police said. Some 64 people were injured in the accident."
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

"The captain of the 114,500-tonne ship, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, Italian police said. Some 64 people were injured in the accident."

Yeah I saw that. Maybe he wanted to conduct the rescue from shore.
 
Niflmir
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I first read about this cruise ship incident about five oclock this am. It has been reported that there was an explosion
in one of the engine rooms. It has also been reported that the ship hit rocks that the captain says were not supposed
to be there. They are now saying that the ship is on a sand bar which tore a two hundred foot(fifty meter) gash in the
side of the ship. I think the ship will be there for some time before it is floating again

Yeah, the crew is going to jail. Turns out they wanted to get close to Isola del Giglio to show it off to the passengers, so they left the plotted course... and ran aground. Of course there are no convictions yet, but that is what I heard.
 
taxslave
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Yeah, the crew is going to jail. Turns out they wanted to get close to Isola del Giglio to show it off to the passengers, so they left the plotted course... and ran aground. Of course there are no convictions yet, but that is what I heard.

Well I can guarantee that the rock didn't move. Despite what the lack of crew on the Queen of the North might have claimed.
 
JLM
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I first read about this cruise ship incident about five oclock this am. It has been reported that there was an explosion
in one of the engine rooms. It has also been reported that the ship hit rocks that the captain says were not supposed
to be there. They are now saying that the ship is on a sand bar which tore a two hundred foot(fifty meter) gash in the
side of the ship. I think the ship will be there for some time before it is floating again

But I guess someone forgot to tell the rocks! Now I'm wondering which of two scenarios it's going to be found to have caused it, booze or like the Queen of the North a little whoop de doo going on!

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Well I can guarantee that the rock didn't move. Despite what the lack of crew on the Queen of the North might have claimed.

Well maybe just a little...............................after the fact!
 
Highball
+3
#18
It wasn't hard to track the escaping Captain. The browm trail he left in the water was visible from a Helicopter.
 
Kreskin
#19
What was a he arrested for? Haven't said any reports that connects anything he did to a crime.
 
gopher
+4
#20  Top Rated Post




If not for the courage of that fearless Captain, the minnow would have been lost.

Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

What was a he arrested for? Haven't said any reports that connects anything he did to a crime.

He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. Also leaving a ship without fully accounting for all passengers. While maritime law does not require that he go down with the vessel, he is required to account for passengers before leaving it. He did not do so as he fled well before most of the people had been rescued by other civilians.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by HighballView Post

It wasn't hard to track the escaping Captain. The browm trail he left in the water was visible from a Helicopter.

Bravo!
 
JLM
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post





If not for the courage of that fearless Captain, the minnow would have been lost.



He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. Also leaving a ship without fully accounting for all passengers. While maritime law does not require that he go down with the vessel, he is required to account for passengers before leaving it. He did not do so as he fled well before most of the people had been rescued by other civilians.

It was just a slight error, in the panic and confusion he got to thinking he was supposed to leave the ship first instead of last. I'm sure he'll get it right next time. I'm not quite sure how the manslaughter charge is going to fly, I'm guessing it won't but I think negligence causing death wouldn't be unreasonable. He may have some tough explaining at his next job interview.
 
Kreskin
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post





If not for the courage of that fearless Captain, the minnow would have been lost.



He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. Also leaving a ship without fully accounting for all passengers. While maritime law does not require that he go down with the vessel, he is required to account for passengers before leaving it. He did not do so as he fled well before most of the people had been rescued by other civilians.

I got more news from you than the news agencies. Didn't see anything reported about him leaving early.
 
bill barilko
#24
Some of you guys need to renew your news sources-his quick exit is all over the Beeb & other euro news.

In the interview it's easy to see El Capitan through his teeth ('we were last to leave the ship') lying but that's what his lawyer wants him to do-lie & lie & lie so the govt has to prove everything.
 
Kreskin
#25
Is his quick exit subject to a manslaughter charge? Somehow that connection doesn't seem right.
 
bill barilko
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Is his quick exit subject to a manslaughter charge? Somehow that connection doesn't seem right.

Who knows what's what under Italian Maritime Law the system is quite different there.

One thing for sure-the cruise industry worldwide want to see this guy charged for something serious-they'll be leaning on all & sundry to see him locked up and seen to be locked up.
 
JLM
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Who knows what's what under Italian Maritime Law the system is quite different there.

One thing for sure-the cruise industry worldwide want to see this guy charged for something serious-they'll be leaning on all & sundry to see him locked up and seen to be locked up.

I wouldn't hold my breath, a guy can get "sick" on a minute's notice! Probably won't be over in my lifetime.
 
Kreskin
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Who knows what's what under Italian Maritime Law the system is quite different there.

One thing for sure-the cruise industry worldwide want to see this guy charged for something serious-they'll be leaning on all & sundry to see him locked up and seen to be locked up.

I was wondering if anyone knew why he is being accused of manslaughter. The news reports I read didn't have any explanation. Was it his guidance of the ship into the rocks? Not having anyone in the bridge? Having an accident then trying to save your own life isn't manslaughter.
 
JLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I was wondering if anyone knew why he is being accused of manslaughter. The news reports I read didn't have any explanation. Was it his guidance of the ship into the rocks? Not having anyone in the bridge? Having an accident then trying to save your own life isn't manslaughter.

Yeah, that's not going to "fly".
 
mentalfloss
#30
Considering the way things ended up, only a few deaths is a pretty positive result.
 

Similar Threads

6
Our Cruise Ship Tourists
by missile | Nov 21st, 2008
28
tom Cruise we are going to be attacked by aliens
by Dreadful Nonsense | Oct 2nd, 2007
43
CRUISE ''I HAVE LIVED BEFORE''
by mrmom2 | Sep 20th, 2005
10
Sick of Tom Cruise?
by Cosmo | Aug 7th, 2005
no new posts