Italian Cruise Line disaster

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Transcript/recording of the chat between Captain Courageous and the Coast Guard Commander:

BBC News - Concordia disaster: Coastguard calls captain (external - login to view)

BBC News - Recording reveals coastguard told captain to 'get back on board' (external - login to view)

they should tie an anchor to 'captain courageous' and drop it in the deepest part of the ocean.

damngrumpy
+1
I don't think people should stop going on the big cruise ships, but it demonstrates the lack
of training for both officers and crews on some of these ships. There have been some
serious incidents off the California coast that were handled quite well, I remember a couple
of years ago there was a fire that burned for a couple of days but the passengers were
looked after. These things happen and more training is required. However, how does any
company prepare for an out and out coward? Either someone has the smarts or they don't.
Mind you some disturbing reports say this Captain, was a showboat kind of guy and that
should have come to someones attention long before now. It is very sad that people had
to die, even one death under these circumstances is one too many.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I don't think people should stop going on the big cruise ships, but it demonstrates the lack
of training for both officers and crews on some of these ships. There have been some
serious incidents off the California coast that were handled quite well, I remember a couple
of years ago there was a fire that burned for a couple of days but the passengers were
looked after. These things happen and more training is required. However, how does any
company prepare for an out and out coward? Either someone has the smarts or they don't.
Mind you some disturbing reports say this Captain, was a showboat kind of guy and that
should have come to someones attention long before now. It is very sad that people had
to die, even one death under these circumstances is one too many.

The Captain probably wishes he died, at least he'd have been a prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

DARWIN AWARDS honor those who do the most to improve our genepool--
by removing themselves from it, thereby ensuring that the next gen
is descended from one fewer idiot.

Vancouverite
Here's part of the transcript. (external - login to view)

relic
There's lots of interesting stuff in this story,no lifeboat drill,apearently most of the crew was pretty much useless when it came to helping the passengers.Like most transport now,there's a computer that tells it where to go.so" captain courageous" would have to over ride that to be able to do his "looka atta me,I'ma driva the bigga boata"thing.AND his latest story is that he"TRIPPED AND FELL" into a lifeboat,while triyng to help passengers .Geebus !

wulfie68
One thing that made me question the safety of these ships (practice, not design) was a report I saw from one of the major news outlets reporting on North American cruise lines and while they are required, by law, to be able to evacuate their vessels in 30 minutes and have plans to do so, no one has any documentation or even anecdotal evidence to say they had performed drills to ensure the plans work and the crews know how to implement them. These are some of the best designed and safest vehicles in the world but sooner or later the laws of probility and averages always catch up, even in the case of the minute chances of failure/catastrophe.

lone wolf
Does anyone recall lifeboat drills on Titanic? Unsinkable is still a myth....

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Yup...., they looked, and yes, there were lifeboats,.....Now, let's have another round......Who's turn is it?

Unfortunately, the Titanic was still being built when she sailed. The Titanic was supposed to stay afloat when three of
five compartments were flooded, but the bulkheads that would have completed those five compartments were not
finished. The rest is history.

bill barilko

Does anyone recall lifeboat drills on Titanic?

No I'm not that old.

mentalfloss
List of dead or missing from the Costa Concordia cruise ship that grounded off Italy - The Washington Post (external - login to view)

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

No I'm not that old.

Yeah.... I suppose.... Born 1927 would make it before your time too. What happened in 1951?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Yup...., they looked, and yes, there were lifeboats,.....Now, let's have another round......Who's turn is it?

Unfortunately, the Titanic was still being built when she sailed. The Titanic was supposed to stay afloat when three of
five compartments were flooded, but the bulkheads that would have completed those five compartments were not
finished. The rest is history.

Everything I read was 4 compartments out of 9 could be flooded. The iceberg flooded 5. If they had made the bulkheads run all the way to the top and not stop 2/3 of the way up, it would not have sunk either.

I know original specs had more lifeboats but the WhiteStar Line removed some because they looked ugly and detracted fromt he assertion that it was unsinkable.

spaminator
damn that woman! her song drove the costa concordia into committing suicide!

Google (external - login to view)

Last edited by spaminator; Jan 19th, 2012 at 01:08 PM..

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Google (external - login to view)

I would have sank too if subjected to Celene Dion. I would have thought that piece of music would not be played on any ship just like films about plane crashes are usually not available to airline passengers as in-flight entertainment.

spaminator
'Captain Coward' Francesco Schettino most hated man in Italy - YouTube (external - login to view)

spaminator
Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Cruise Ship Disaster (external - login to view)

mentalfloss
30% OFF YOUR NEXT CRUISE IF THIS ONE SINKS! (external - login to view)

A spokesman for Costa Cruises said: "The company is trying to do everything they can for those passengers directly affected. "The company is not only going to refund everybody but they will offer a 30 per cent discount on future cruises if they want to stay loyal to the company."

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

30% OFF YOUR NEXT CRUISE IF THIS ONE SINKS! (external - login to view)

A spokesman for Costa Cruises said: "The company is trying to do everything they can for those passengers directly affected. "The company is not only going to refund everybody but they will offer a 30 per cent discount on future cruises if they want to stay loyal to the company."

It's no wonder the captain tried to kill as many of his passengers as possible. He was trying to save the cruiseline as much of the 30%s as possible.

I don't think a refund will be required. Passengers will get a lot more in civil court.

mentalfloss
Italian officials mull removal of fuel from cruise ship - USATODAY.com (external - login to view)

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Italian officials mull removal of fuel from cruise ship - USATODAY.com (external - login to view)

Now that could be a huge problem. Especially if the ship slips anymore. I expected that a plan would be in place long before now.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Now that could be a huge problem. Especially if the ship slips anymore. I expected that a plan would be in place long before now.

Looks like this might require some time to get right.

They need to do this properly to avoid another ecological disaster.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Yeah, I kind of figured they'd have a line on it by now anchored to a stump!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Yeah, I kind of figured they'd have a line on it by now anchored to a stump!

That is not such a far out idea. They have a whole island to anchor that ship to. I think I read that there is something
like 2000 tons of oil/fuel in that ship that could be pumped out anytime as long as they are confident that the ship is
not going to sink in the process.
Another thing I don't understand is that the holes and gashes in the ship are above water right now and presumably
could be repaired whenever they want to get at it.

TenPenny

That is not such a far out idea. They have a whole island to anchor that ship to. I think I read that there is something
like 2000 tons of oil/fuel in that ship that could be pumped out anytime as long as they are confident that the ship is
not going to sink in the process.
Another thing I don't understand is that the holes and gashes in the ship are above water right now and presumably
could be repaired whenever they want to get at it.

I' m assuming the ship isn't stable enough yet, because it sure looks like you could get a couple of welders and some plate on there pretty easily to cover the holes, then start pumping it out and right it.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I' m assuming the ship isn't stable enough yet, because it sure looks like you could get a couple of welders and some plate on there pretty easily to cover the holes, then start pumping it out and right it.

Yeah. It doesn't have to look pretty. It would just have to get the ship to the dry dock.

JLM

Yeah. It doesn't have to look pretty. It would just have to get the ship to the dry dock.

Maybe a couple of us should head over there. Maybe those "pizza makers" don't know about fixing boats! (Ooooops I shouldn't have said that, there will be some sh*t about racism from the usual suspect)

TenPenny
Where's CDNBear when you need him, anyway? Out fukin ice fishing, I suppose.

damngrumpy
There are a few things about this story that should give us pause for thought in
making decisions as to whether this type of holiday is right for our personal set
of circumstances. Speaking first about the life boat drill, people didn't have one
but if they did who would attend? Seriously, if you fly a lot, you know as well as
I do that people are talking and reading and doing God knows what else while
those in charge do the safety drill. Many would not survive in a minor incident
simply because they did not pay attention.
There is the thought also, that a cruise does put some people at risk. For instance
those who are infirm, or handicapped, those who are elderly and very young kids.
Being on the open sea is like flying a jet to Asia. There is a limited risk in flying
but its a short period in terms of the entire adventure so the period of risk is quite
minimal. A cruise on the other hand is a risk at all times, there is no safe harbour
in times of trouble only the skill of those in charge give you an edge during the
entire trip.
We need to ensure the Captains and crews are well qualified. That is not always
the case, as people are hired who will work cheap in many cases, and they are
not usually the most qualified. It might suggest its a Dutch cruise ship, or a
Swedish cruise ship but the crew could come from anywhere. People have to in
fact assess what the odds are of a serious problem, and what their personal
chances for survival are. If the person is comfortable with the risk factor fine but
all too often people ignore the risk, they ignore the possibility of problems and
they just go along.
Risk could come from everything from heart trouble to not being able to swim.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

There are a few things about this story that should give us pause for thought in
making decisions as to whether this type of holiday is right for our personal set
of circumstances. Speaking first about the life boat drill, people didn't have one
but if they did who would attend? Seriously, if you fly a lot, you know as well as
I do that people are talking and reading and doing God knows what else while
those in charge do the safety drill. Many would not survive in a minor incident
simply because they did not pay attention.
There is the thought also, that a cruise does put some people at risk. For instance
those who are infirm, or handicapped, those who are elderly and very young kids.
Being on the open sea is like flying a jet to Asia. There is a limited risk in flying
but its a short period in terms of the entire adventure so the period of risk is quite
minimal. A cruise on the other hand is a risk at all times, there is no safe harbour
in times of trouble only the skill of those in charge give you an edge during the
entire trip.
We need to ensure the Captains and crews are well qualified. That is not always
the case, as people are hired who will work cheap in many cases, and they are
not usually the most qualified. It might suggest its a Dutch cruise ship, or a
Swedish cruise ship but the crew could come from anywhere. People have to in
fact assess what the odds are of a serious problem, and what their personal
chances for survival are. If the person is comfortable with the risk factor fine but
all too often people ignore the risk, they ignore the possibility of problems and
they just go along.
Risk could come from everything from heart trouble to not being able to swim.

I think the safest holiday (for me) is by truck where I do the driving!

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Everything I read was 4 compartments out of 9 could be flooded. The iceberg flooded 5. If they had made the bulkheads run all the way to the top and not stop 2/3 of the way up, it would not have sunk either.

There were 16 compartments. They wouldnt have had to have all of the watertight bulkheads go up to the top, only a couple. They improved Titanic's two sisterships by raising only four of the bulkheads to B-Deck. The others remained where they were.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I know original specs had more lifeboats but the WhiteStar Line removed some because they looked ugly and detracted fromt he assertion that it was unsinkable.

Neither White Star Line nor Harland and Wolff ever claimed the ship was unsinkable. That was a gimmick invented by the press.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

That would account for the damage that can be seen above water. There's also hundreds of windows under water that'd be letting water right back in again.