Italian Cruise Line disaster

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Good grief what a mess!

Dozens of passengers and crew from a stricken cruise ship are still missing more than 24 hours after the liner capsized off the Italian coast. Rescuers found three survivors, including a honeymoon couple, on board the liner on Sunday morning.

By News Wires (text)

REUTERS - Italian rescue workers were searching for nearly 40 people still missing early on Sunday, more than a day after a cruise ship with more than 4,000 on board capsized off Italy’s west coast, killing at least three people and injuring 70.
Read more

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah, more than likely.

But all this has got me to thinking... They had a Professor on board and I'm wondering why he never devised a way to get them off the Island... Do you think that it was the absence of graphs that was the culprit here?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, more than likely.

But all this has got me to thinking... They had a Professor on board and I'm wondering why he never devised a way to get them off the Island... Do you think that it was the absence of graphs that was the culprit here?

That's a pretty bold accusation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, more than likely.

Seriously? The man worked exclusively with coconuts! There was only so much he could do.

I mean, it's not like he was McGyver! :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I first read about this cruise ship incident about five oclock this am. It has been reported that there was an explosion
in one of the engine rooms. It has also been reported that the ship hit rocks that the captain says were not supposed
to be there. They are now saying that the ship is on a sand bar which tore a two hundred foot(fifty meter) gash in the
side of the ship. I think the ship will be there for some time before it is floating again

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"The captain of the 114,500-tonne ship, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, Italian police said. Some 64 people were injured in the accident."

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
"The captain of the 114,500-tonne ship, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, Italian police said. Some 64 people were injured in the accident."

Yeah I saw that. Maybe he wanted to conduct the rescue from shore.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I first read about this cruise ship incident about five oclock this am. It has been reported that there was an explosion
in one of the engine rooms. It has also been reported that the ship hit rocks that the captain says were not supposed
to be there. They are now saying that the ship is on a sand bar which tore a two hundred foot(fifty meter) gash in the
side of the ship. I think the ship will be there for some time before it is floating again

Yeah, the crew is going to jail. Turns out they wanted to get close to Isola del Giglio to show it off to the passengers, so they left the plotted course... and ran aground. Of course there are no convictions yet, but that is what I heard.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, the crew is going to jail. Turns out they wanted to get close to Isola del Giglio to show it off to the passengers, so they left the plotted course... and ran aground. Of course there are no convictions yet, but that is what I heard.

Well I can guarantee that the rock didn't move. Despite what the lack of crew on the Queen of the North might have claimed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

But I guess someone forgot to tell the rocks! Now I'm wondering which of two scenarios it's going to be found to have caused it, booze or like the Queen of the North a little whoop de doo going on! :lol:

Well I can guarantee that the rock didn't move. Despite what the lack of crew on the Queen of the North might have claimed.

Well maybe just a little...............................after the fact! :lol:

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
It wasn't hard to track the escaping Captain. The browm trail he left in the water was visible from a Helicopter.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What was a he arrested for? Haven't said any reports that connects anything he did to a crime.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

If not for the courage of that fearless Captain, the minnow would have been lost.

What was a he arrested for? Haven't said any reports that connects anything he did to a crime.

He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. Also leaving a ship without fully accounting for all passengers. While maritime law does not require that he go down with the vessel, he is required to account for passengers before leaving it. He did not do so as he fled well before most of the people had been rescued by other civilians.